• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Women and Covid vaccine

nyanko_the_sane

Because everyday is Caturday...
My sister got the J&J vaccine and it triggered all her Fibro symptoms. So the short term effects are quite real.

vision blue

@Victronix and others . I read the article you posted the link to on shingles following vax in the women. It was pretty weak evidence so personally, it won't alter my data that goes in the cost-beneift analysis (even though i live in fear of reactivating my herpes viruses in certain places). It wasn't a study, just pretended to be- was just a desciption of 6 cases of shingles post vax. The big problem, as the authors themselves said, is that they did not compare to a group of AI rehumatic women who DIDN"T get the vaccine. So this was 6. out of the 500 or so women with AI rheumatic disease who got the vaccine. But, also, as they say, the rate of shingles is like 3-4 times higher in AI rheumatic disease than normals, so it's possible if they had 500 women with ai rheumatic disease who did not get the vaccine , 6 may have gotten shingles as well. Their motive for prematurly writing this up was to try to take claim to being the "first". That is, they summarize that shingles has been reported follwoing trivalent flu vaccine, hep a vaccine, and one other but to their knowledge, they are the first who report it for covid vaccine too.

Jyoti

I'm going to make a gentle suggestion here, not as a moderator, but as a member, that we try to return this discussion to the original intent of the thread, which was to discuss the question of women and the covid vaccine, how it effects females in particular---and there is ample material to examine in that regard. Just as the disease hits women differently than it does men, so the vaccine appears to have varied side effects connected to gender.

I would encourage anyone who wants to continue the current conversation to start a new thread in which to do so. Thanks so much!

Mary

Moderator Resource
A LARGE PORTION OF THIS THREAD HAS BEEN DELETED BECAUSE IT HAD VEERED OFF-TOPIC INTO A GENERAL DISCUSSION ABOUT COVID, UNRELATED TO WOMEN AND COVID VACCINES. YOU'RE WELCOME TO DISCUSS COVID GENERALLY ELSEWHERE ON THIS FORUM (AS HAS BEEN DONE IN SEVERAL THREADS).

BUT ALL DISCUSSION IN THIS THREAD MUST REMAIN ON TOPIC AND SPECIFICALLY PERTAIN TO WOMEN AND COVID VACCINES - ALL OTHER POSTS WILL BE DELETED

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

I found an interesting article from Yale School of Medicine:
"Sex and Gender and COVID-19 Vaccine Side Effects"
https://medicine.yale.edu/news-article/sex-and-gender-and-covid-19-vaccine-side-effects

It states some interesting statistics re: women and vaccines:

In February, the CDC released data on adverse effects during the first month of the COVID-19 vaccine rollout, finding that while women received 61 percent of vaccine doses, 72 percent of the side effects reported to the agency were from women.

The article explains many theories why this might be the case (and this article is very pro-vaccine) and I have only pulled out a few statistics from the article re: adverse effects and allergic reactions to vaccines in women.

I have also been Googling various sites that have statistics for autoimmunity (and they all have very similar numbers) which is that approximately 78% to 85% of all cases of autoimmunity are in women.

So it only makes sense that if the vast majority of all autoimmunity is in women, and vaccines are designed by nature to stimulate the immune system, then the majority of adverse events to the vaccines will also be in women. I don't think this is random or a coincidence.

Gingergrrl

I also wanted to ask if anyone knows of a website or discussion board re: the COVID vaccine and autoimmune neuromuscular disorders? For whatever reason, Facebook is really cracking down on groups discussing the vaccine and I'm trying to find info specifically re: people with neuromuscular disorders (like LEMS or MG) and the COVID vaccine (in addition to autoimmunity in general).

Strawberry

Good luck, Strawberry! Let us know how it goes. Hopefully you'll be fit as a fiddle after a few days.

Saturday and Sunday were fine, but today I’m in a huge mast cell flare. I met a woman in Israel that had a huge reaction to Phizer, she thinks she’s had mild symptoms of MCAS before, but now she is struggling to take care of herself. Massive MCAS flare. I’ll keep this thread posted when I’m up to being here.

Gingergrrl

Saturday and Sunday were fine, but today I’m in a huge mast cell flare. I met a woman in Israel that had a huge reaction to Phizer, she thinks she’s had mild symptoms of MCAS before, but now she is struggling to take care of herself. Massive MCAS flare. I’ll keep this thread posted when I’m up to being here.

I'm sorry to hear this @Strawberry and hope that you feel better soon.

Jyoti

Saturday and Sunday were fine, but today I’m in a huge mast cell flare
I experienced the same pattern with my first Pfizer, though it was a huge POTS flare (as far as I know, MCAS is not in my personal list of torments). First couple of days were ok--kind of 'to be expected' side effects and then BAM! Like you and that woman you mentioned, @Strawberry, I was a real mess, struggling to even sit up. That lasted for about 8 days and then one evening it simply lifted.

Number two--the dreaded second jab-- was a total breeze for me. I had seriously considered not getting it, but consulting several doctors who were quite clear about the benefits, and ultimately, obviously, I took their advice.

Hoping fervently that your flare subsides and that it has taught your body what it needs to know about Covid-19, leaving you free for an easier time ahead.

Booble

I experienced the same pattern with my first Pfizer, though it was a huge POTS flare (as far as I know, MCAS is not in my personal list of torments). First couple of days were ok--kind of 'to be expected' side effects and then BAM! Like you and that woman you mentioned, @Strawberry, I was a real mess, struggling to even sit up. That lasted for about 8 days and then one evening it simply lifted.

Number two--the dreaded second jab-- was a total breeze for me. I had seriously considered not getting it, but consulting several doctors who were quite clear about the benefits, and ultimately, obviously, I took their advice.

Hoping fervently that your flare subsides and that it has taught your body what it needs to know about Covid-19, leaving you free for an easier time ahead.

Wow. Super brave of you to get the second dose after the extended side effects from the first. I'm so glad that one was a breeze!

Strawberry

Today is definitely better than yesterday. Very low key day, but I went outside and cut my toenails and fingernails, and cooked a simple dinner. Still feel like hell, but at least I don’t have Kleenex shoved up my nose that has to be changed every 15 minutes... :oops: and I didn’t starve like yesterday.

Booble

Today is definitely better than yesterday. Very low key day, but I went outside and cut my toenails and fingernails, and cooked a simple dinner. Still feel like hell, but at least I don’t have Kleenex shoved up my nose that has to be changed every 15 minutes... :oops: and I didn’t starve like yesterday.

On the right track! Glad you could get the Kleenex out of the nose and some food in the belly.

lenora

A lot of the stories around this turned out to be BS but it appears that there's a fraction of truth to all of it.
The endometriosis flare up would perhaps make sense from an auto immune standpoint. But sadly we know so little about endometriosis.

Sadly, that's very true. While I never suffered from it, I feel the pain from it is barely understood by anyone, let alone the medical establishment. Yours, Lenora.