• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why would molybdenum make things worse?

I believe I am having sulfur issues which I have never had before. I think its because I am taking glutathione and allicin (altho allicin is fodmap so idk). I have taken magnesium glycine for a year and now I can't tolerate the glycine. I think just too much sulfur. So I look at the pathways and I see I have a bad CBS (which generally means its too fast?) and a bad SUOX which means its too slow. So I take molybdenum and its the strangest thing- it shifts my headaches around, in some ways its better, but in some ways worse. I can't understand it because in the charts it seems like molybdenum (unless i take too much and dump copper and im not taking too much) should be good.

One theory I have is perhaps in upregulating SUOX I clear out a negative feedback that was preventing more sulfur from being pulled down, and this increase in pull down gives me more ammonia(?) And my symptoms are from too much ammonia(?)

Plan to test theory with ornithine and magnesium malate. Also thinking of switching molybdenum type to mo forte, currently using seeking health. Any thoughts on why molybdenum would both help and hurt things?

wabi-sabi

I haven't seen any evidence that ME/CFS is related to a molybdenum deficiency. So there's probably no reason why taking it would help.

Overdose of molybdenum isn't common, but it is possible. info here:https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Molybdenum-HealthProfessional/

Another possibility is that these symptoms are aren't related to the molybdenum at all, but something else you're doing, or the disease is just getting worse on its own

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I can't seem to take Molybdenum either.

There was a thread HERE that also talked about it along with boron.

I wonder if that would be the key, i.e. that it needs a cofactor of some sort for the body to be able to process it.

I also believe I have issues with ammonia build up and I cannot do sulfur/thiols too often (even supplements) or I get migraines.

Something like this << seems to help me. When I use it, which isn't often, I can sometimes wake feeling slightly refreshed even. The effect only lasts for about 20 minutes though.

However, I think it does something for me because some of the ingredients are thought to reduce ammonia.

Edit: I just noticed the product I linked to has glycine in it and you said you can't have that. I'm so sorry I didn't see that before.

Last edited:

Wishful

The human body is far too complicated to depend on simple theories. You might read that moly does x, so therefore it should do y, but it is also involved with a potentially large number of other chemical reactions in the body, which in turn can have further effects. It's a good question to ask, since maybe someone can see a logical reason for your observed effects. I think we all accumulate a file of mystery responses, some of which are contrary to some known logical theories.

anne_likes_red

I took 150 mcg chelated molybdenum years ago (documented here in the depths of the forum I'm sure!) and my sulfur detox pathways seemed to get overwhelmed. At least that was the best explanation I had at the time. I do have a CBS snp plus other indications of problems with sulfates.
I take some Mo transdermally now but I had to build up slowly and I take various B vitamins (some also transdermally) as well.

Wayne

Any thoughts on why molybdenum would both help and hurt things?

Hi @Tigersmom -- After I saw your question, I vaguely remembered reading many years ago that molyndenum can assist in detoxification in some manner. I did a quick online search, and came up with the following:

Molybdenum Glycinate - This key trace mineral promotes liver ...

Molybdenum Glycinate Details
Molybdenum is a cofactor in three important enzymatic reactions – xanthine oxidase/dehydrogenase, aldehyde oxidase, and sulfite oxidase.* The first two enzymatic reactions play a role in the liver's detoxification of environmental toxins, certain drugs, estradiol, and progesterone.* Because molybdenum – as an essential cofactor for sulfite oxidase – enhances sulfite metabolism, supplementation with molybdenum glycinate benefits individuals who suffer sensitivity to sulfites used in meat, fish, salad bar items, and dehydrated fruits and vegetables.* Thorne's Molybdenum Glycinate is a highly absorbable form of molybdenum.*​
Sulfite sensitivity can manifest in a number of ways, such as wheezing, chest tightness, coughing, shortness of breath, flushing, itching, hives, swelling of eyes, hands and feet, nausea, headache, and diarrhea. Sulfite oxidase, the most important molybdenum-dependent enzyme in humans, oxidizes sulfite to sulfate, the final step in the metabolism of sulfur-containing amino acids.​