• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why are doctors and patients still at war over M.E.? How the best treatment for the debilitating con

user9876

Oh and Malcolm McLeod recently reweeted Neuroskeptic's "Should we ever conduct underpowered studies?" blog post, so he knows these claims of statistical significance is nonsense!

I think there is a community who think others do bad science and just assume stuff they do is good without much thought. But that suggests their research is not well thought out.

alex3619

I think that - for reasons I don't pretend to understand - on the full 'desktop' version of the page it only seems to display two replies under each comment, making it look like any additional replies have been removed.

That might be what is happening as many were replies to original comments. I do not have an operational mobile phone. I do not know why only two replies are displaying.

JohnCB

Immoderate
It's the expectation that subjective outcomes are sufficient that rang the alarm bell...

If their followup trial doesn't include objective outcomes then it is a complete waste of time.
"Although the statistical power of this study was limited, there was significant improvement in fatigue severity."
13 separate comparisons, so correcting for multiple comparisons (p<(0.05/13)), none of the findings were significant. It's an n=8 feasibility study without a control group, claims about statistical significance are simply nonsense.

Oh and Malcolm McLeod recently reweeted Neuroskeptic's "Should we ever conduct underpowered studies?" blog post, so he knows these claims of statistical significance is nonsense!

I was interested in the sentence you quoted from the study as it reminded me of the post on Andrew Gelman's statistics blog (many will remember that he commented on the deficiencies of Pace a while back) which I saw earlier today although it is dated yesterday.

http://andrewgelman.com/2017/08/17/just-google-despite-limited-statistical-power/

Andrew Gelman blog said:
It’s not always clear what people mean by this expression, but sometimes it seems that they’re making the “What does not kill my statistical significance makes it stronger” fallacy, thinking that the attainment of statistical significance is a particular feat in the context of a noisy study, so that they’re (mistakenly) thinking of the “limited statistical power” of that study as a further point in favor of their argument.

I don't have the capacity to say anything on Andrew's blog, so if anybody else feels it appropriate to comment there, you won't be steeping on my toes.

Chrisb

"The Latin word "pace" is a form of "pax," meaning "peace" or "permission," and when used sincerely the word does indeed suggest a desire for both".
Oh the irony.

I forget my Latin but is not "pace" the ablative, singular-making that by, with or from peace.

We must assume that in this context "from peace" is the most appropriate,(by or with peace being clearly ruled out)-but I am not entirely sure it bears that nuance. We must have an expert.somewhere.

What a bore that man can be.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
I forget my Latin but is not "pace" the ablative, singular-making that by, with or from peace.

We must assume that in this context "from peace" is the most appropriate,(by or with peace being clearly ruled out)-but I am not entirely sure it bears that nuance. We must have an expert.somewhere.

What a bore that man can be.

The usual use of pace, in italic to indicate a Latin sense, for me is as in pace Chris, meaning, as I understand it, 'whilst hoping to maintain peace with Chris even if one was indicating that one disagreed with him'. (Purely hypothetically speaking.) This could be abbreviated to 'notwithstanding Chris'.

So maybe pace indicates not withstanding? Could be.

Chrisb

I think that it would have been generally understood that I was referring to myself as a bore. I'll leave you to it then.