• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why are doctors and patients still at war over M.E.? How the best treatment for the debilitating con

Aurator

Google translate offers me: sterquilinium.
Google tends not to be very good at Latin, but it was fairly accurate here.This word (with various spellings), meaning "dung-heap", was fairly popular as a term of abuse with the early Roman writers of comedy, of whom Plautus was the most prominent. Here's an extract (Act 3, scene 3) from his play Persa:

"Oh, lutum lenonium,
commixtum caeno sterculinum publicum,
impure, inhoneste, iniure, inlex, labes popli,
pecuniae accipiter avide atque invide,
procax, rapax, trahax— trecentis versibus
tuas impuritias traloqui nemo potest."

"Hey, you putrid pimp,
you public dung heap mixed up with scum,
you unclean, dishonest, unjust, lawless stain upon the people,
you greedy and loathesome money-hawk,
you importunate, grabbing, grasping thing -
in three hundred lines no-one could convey your vileness!"

My translation.

ash0787

they are really sensationalist, I think the health articles they make are silly and meaningless like a new one everyday which contradicts the previous, also don't care for the vapid fashion / celebrity things, but apart from that it seems ok, they do seem to hate everyone that is different to them though, but then the same thing happens if you go into waitrose. I don't know what better alternative there is though and a lot of the other newspapers seem very indistinguishable like the times, the independent, telegraph etc

Manganus

Ok. @Chris

In Pace- ablative.

Does ablative always follow 'in'?

Why are we discussing this?
Don't know why, but I can answer with no. ;)
It functions like in German:

Four prepositions (in, sub, subter, & super) may take either an accusative or an ablative.
For in and sub, the accusative indicates direction or motion while the ablatives indicates no motion.
  • in urbe means "in the city"
  • in urbem, "into the city"

Binkie4

@Manganus

Mostly forgotten......but it is 53 years since I studied them.

Still seems easier than science though. The Latin and German would come back but the science was never really there. It makes Phoenix Rising quite a challenge but a huge and valued resource.

EDITED to add respondee

Last edited: