• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

When you're too exhausted/sleepy to open your eyes...

When you're too exhausted/sleepy too open your eyes but you can't fall asleep, what do you do?

I find, as I'm sure pretty much everyone here, I can never get enough sleep. I typically wake up feeling worse than I did before I went to bed. but try as I might, I find myself quite often just laying in bed relaxing, drifting off but never quite falling back asleep. I eventually just get up stressed out and hammered from a lack of rejuvenating sleep because my spine is in too much pain to stay laying down (usually about 15 hours on my bed).

anyone else have this problem and a solution?

Seven7

Seven
For me, this happens when I am too inflamed so I make sure to bring the imflamtion down ( stop any new food or supplement) and then I just plan, plan and plan. Like Cfs treatments to follow, things I want to do when I get better.. whatever it is with very happy thoughts.

I know it is hard to be in that situation so hugs and hang in there

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
Last night was definitely one of those nights. Sometimes I try to listen to music on the radio. Other times I play music in my head, or try to remember the lyrics to songs from Hamilton or Gilbert and Sullivan operettas. Or I try to think of all the verbs that begin with the letter 'm,' just silly little things to keep my brain occupied and not stressed out about not sleeping. Sometimes I can get back to sleep, sometimes I can't, but at least I'm not stressing.

Runner5

Usually, I'm short on Aminos because of super inflammation. I take 'NOW brand aminos' and also Magnesium, usually works. I don't do that every night or anything, just if I get the super insomnia.

DoggerFisher

Binaural beats. Try Guenther Georg on free app Insight Timer. You listen at very low volume. I find them very restful for my brain and use daily. Especially when too tired for words or thinking.

I try to envision holidays somewhere nice, in my case, it is often Yorkshire or Scotland :) I am pretty good in creating whole settings in my head :lol: I often fall asleep after a while.

Binaural beats. Try Guenther Georg on free app Insight Timer. You listen at very low volume. I find them very restful for my brain and use daily. Especially when too tired for words or thinking.
I use binaural beats too, not just when tired, but when over sensitive to sound and activity, or in one of my many periods of motion sickness... It helps to rebalence me I find!

Krystal Lynne

Mrs. Anderson
When you're too exhausted/sleepy too open your eyes but you can't fall asleep, what do you do?

I find, as I'm sure pretty much everyone here, I can never get enough sleep. I typically wake up feeling worse than I did before I went to bed. but try as I might, I find myself quite often just laying in bed relaxing, drifting off but never quite falling back asleep. I eventually just get up stressed out and hammered from a lack of rejuvenating sleep because my spine is in too much pain to stay laying down (usually about 15 hours on my bed).

anyone else have this problem and a solution?

You sound like me. Only I usually spend about 18-20 hours in my bed. That is sleeping, wide awake, doing online college school work, knitting/crocheting and or reading. What gets me is the neverending rejuvenating sleep. You mentioned your spine is in lots of pain; what spine disease do you have? I have osteoarthritis in my mine along with fibromyalgia. I did find that taking a shower helps me with the pain and it does make me feel refreshed.