• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What to Eat When Everything Makes You Sick?

Carrigon

I swear, I'm starting to only be able to eat rice at this point. Everything makes me sick. I'm allergic to a million things now. Everyday is one big struggle to find something to eat that won't make me sick. I don't even know what to get anymore. If it's not plain and bland, I just don't know. I can't stand alot of packaged food. I've had soups that you microwave that smell of their chemical packaging. I've had to throw them out and if I dare eat one, I get worse. I've had canned food that tastes like metal to me. Get sick from that, too. Frozen dinners don't even taste like food to me anymore. Everything is so overprocessed. About the only stuff that doesn't make me sick is rice or pasta, but plain. I can't eat alot of raw veggies anymore, I think I'm allegic to some of the GMO stuff, either way, they get me sick. It's just one huge struggle to find things I can eat. Sometimes I even have to resort to babyfood because it's not full of alot of junk.

What does everyone else eat when everything makes you sick?

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
Congee

I find that plain white rice - ratio of about 1 cup rice to 8 cups water with salt and cooked to a puree helps. When I am sic, I keep a pot of it in the microwave and everytime I get up put it on to cook another 5 minutes so eventually its cooked. After about 3 days I am usually able to tolerate something else.

Victoria

Instead of processed food (which is over-salted & high in additives & preservatives), you might consider some plain steamed organic vegetables & organic fresh fruits. They taste much better, something you would appreciate if you like plain foods.

Do you have access (or do you know someone who could shop for you) & find a fresh food market?

I am super sensitive to most processed/tinned food, but easily digest & enjoy organic. I also find organic, free range eggs much more palatable than the supermarket variety. I tend to get some tachycardia from food with additives.

Sometimes I have reactions or weird taste reactions to the simplest things.

At the moment, carrots taste of kerosene. I can't imagine why I have this terrible taste of (even) organic carrots, but there it is.

How about some cooked apple puree? (I don't mean the canned/bottled variety, I mean apples you have cooked yourself).

Lightly scrambled eggs are very easy to digest. Alway use a non-stick pan. I know some people go for smoothies & milkshakes for a nutritious boost, but that is not an option for me as I have trouble digesting dairy.

caledonia

You're basically down to eating organic food and making everything from scratch, no convenience foods. I end up doing a lot of stir fries. Which are basically, meat, veggies and rice. Another variation is scrambled eggs substituting for the meat. Then either Bragg's liquid aminos to simulate soy sauce, or fish sauce (I get the kind that doesn't have sugar in). Sesame oil is good too for flavoring.

I'm on a gluten free, dairy free diet, with additional food allergies to corn, nitrates, and nitrites, which are in everything it seems.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Its extremely hard to cope with food intolerances,MCS and ME. I too eat a very basic diet, only turkey,chicken and fish, no red meat, some vegetables, rice and salad - rice based,gluten,yeast, egg free bread and olive spread. No sugar or dairy. Its a nightmare planning a trip anywhere, I cook all my own food, no processed or tinned food. You have to find what suits you best and what you react to. An elimination diet is good for this, but unfortunately it may well be you have in the future to prepare all your own food in order to be able to eat healthily. Its so difficult I know when you feel ill, I can go 3 days just eating gluten free toast, but I try to make up for it when I feel a little better. I have a hour in the morning when I'm at my best so try to make something for later in the day, also freezing bits of home made soups etc.
All sorts of preservatives, additives and sulphites makes me sick, could this be part of your problem? Hope you find something soon that works, rice rice rice , no fun.

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
Couldn't agree more about avoiding any processed foods. The difference between say a home made soup and a packet or tinned soup is light and day. No bloating, cramps or nausea with the home made variety. I'd also second stir frys. They seem to be more easily digested although I would personally avoid any soy sauce. I find that I feel much better on a very low carb diet and substitute pitta for leavened breads. I do miss my potatoes though.

This might all sound like a lot of work, but worth it, especially if you cook it in bulk and freeze.

Carrigon

Most all the organic stuff here just has alot of tofu and soy based stuff and I can't have any of it. Any veggies upset my stomach. I'm kind of at the point where my digestion is really, really bad. I can't fix it. I've tried alot of things, nothing works. The HC only seemed to help temporarily. Enzymes didn't work. And my acid reflux is acting up like crazy. I don't think the insurance approved my aciphex prescrip. I'll know when I go to the pharmacy for my other prescrip.

I think one of the reasons I'm so sick is the bad digestion. I'm not absorbing nutrients, nothing is getting digested. I can eat and feel like it's still in there twelve hours later. If I could cure the acid reflux, maybe I'd be better, but I've never been able to.

jace

Off the fence
Hi Carrigon. So sorry to hear of your poor digestion. Mine is never that bad, so my ideas may not help, but FWIW here's some thoughts:

Bay leaves aid digestion - you don't actually eat them, just infuse in whatever you're eating, and remove before serving.

Ginger is good for nausea.

Ipecacuanha, an emetic in material doses, is used in homeopathic preparation (Ipecac 6, I suggest) to cure nausea and digestive problems.

For myself, oatmeal porridge is what I eat when nothing else agrees.

Hope this helps,

Jace x

willow

Eek Carrigon, sounds very tough.

When serious EMFs, MCS exposure or something else upsets my system there's a part of my colon that seems to swell to the size of aapce hopper and all peristalysis stops. Then even water, all water's I've tried at least, upsets it for a wee while. Then I just go for little sips of it, no food and gradually over a few days I''m able to start to re-introduce things.

But that's not like your sitaution is it. I feel for you, and no organic food available.

I know you said you don't tolerate veg, might you tolerate clear veg broth? In some parts of the world I think they use this for GI infections - you get some minerals and vitamins but without the digestive challenge and less food for GI pathogens. Is there anyone who could help you make a batch of pureed soup, or better make it for you? I've lived on that for a few weeks too.

Like Jace once upon a time oatmeal porridge did it for me, but no longer. I also used to buy organic rice or millet flakes and make porridge with that... Just using water, occasionally a few shavings of creamed coconut for me, no dairy.

Have you every tried additive free slippery elm powder, maybe marshmallow to sooth your gut? Becuase it works by creating a layer of mucilage to line the gut it may inhibit mineral uptake, so personally I've used only for a week or 2 at a time.

Hope things improve soon!

Carrigon

I can have soups, but if I don't make it myself, the canned ones have msg.

I am alone, totally and utterly alone. There is no one to help me do or make anything. It sux.

I've been drinking almond milk all day. I guess I tolerate it, but I still had an upset stomach. The good thing about the almond milk is that it's full of minerals. It's not milk or soy based, but it does have soy lecithin in it.

Nina

Same here! My latest crash is now lasting > 3 months and I am delevoping new food intolerances to just about everything. I react especially badly to anything containing histamine. As of recently, I found myself allergic to potatoes, of all things! Do not tolerate gluten, fructose, nuts ect. After being a vegetarian for 15 years I started eating meat again in a desperate attempt to help with this disease, but eating it is still very difficult from an ethical point of view.

Not eating for more than 3 hours give me hypoglycaemia attacks and bad migraines. Thankfully I have people cooking for me as I cannot leave my bed anymore but I really don't know what to eat most days.

I will be trying to rebuild a healthy intestinal flora again and hope that might get down more to the root of the whole issue.

jace

Off the fence
I can have soups, but if I don't make it myself, the canned ones have msg.

Have you got a hand blender? They make making soup a doddle, and after all, soup is just a sloppy stew, whizzed, mashed or left lumpy. I made chicken and coconut last night, enough for then and lunch today and one for the freezer - you could leave out the spicy things from this, maybe?

Chicken and coconut soup
Stock (about a pint and a half) and scraps of chicken from a carcass. Simply put water and bones into a pan, simmer for an hour or two, strain and regain any worthwhile meat before binning the bones. If not, a couple of handfuls of cooked chicken, or cook up some small pieces of raw chicken and keep warm before you start on the onion, using the same pan.

Otherwise its oil and butter, onion, potato or rice, garlic ginger and chilli, a little lemon juice, sugar, creamed coconut, parsley or cilantro/coriander.

Substitute a handful of rice for the potato, if you like - it'll do the same job if it's either whizzed, or left to cook long enough.

Put a saucepan on a medium heat with a scant tbs. of oil and the same of butter. Chop a medium onion, add to the pan, stir and allow to cook gently. Meanwhile peel two garlic cloves, a small piece of ginger, and add half a red chill pepper – scotch bonnet was good. Chop these finely and add to the onions. Stir occasionally while you peel a large potato, or two small, and reduce to 1cm/1/2" cubes. Add these to the pan, stir and fry for a minute, then add stock and bring to boil. Cook for 15 - 20 minutes, until potato/rice is soft, then add a 50 gram block of coconut cream (or 1/2 tin of coconut milk) and either whizz with a blender, or mash all together for a more textured result. The potato will thicken the soup. Return to a low flame, season, add a squeeze of lemon and a half-teaspoon of sugar, taste, then add the chicken bits and a handful of parsley. Serve with a swirl of yoghurt or sour cream, or even coconut milk, if well mixed and reasonably thick.

I'm a recipe monkey.:D

A different take on Jewish Penicillin ...

creekfeet

Sockfeet
Mmm. Sounds good, Jace. I keep forgetting to buy coconut milk. Hope to remember next time.

This simple soup made me feel very good:

Boil some chunks of CHICKEN THIGH MEAT in CHICKEN BROTH with a nice big handful of peeled GARLIC cloves and some big slices of fresh GINGER. When the chicken is nearly cooked, toss in some slant-cut CELERY and boil until the chicken's done through. If the celery is still crispy that's okay. Remove from heat. Add the juice of one LIME.

That's it.

If you want you can add more veggies, garnish it with green onion snips, throw in a splash of soy sauce. Oh yeah, pull out the ginger slices or just eat around them.

I find in general I'm happier eating more fresh meat, vegetables and fruits and minimizing grains and starch and dairy, but we eat what we can get, here.

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
I find having an inexpensive food processor, a small crock pot, and a hand blender to be very helpful.

Chop up a variety of veggies in the food processor, put in the crock pot with whatever base you want — boxed veggie or chicken broth, a can of stewed tomatoes, or just water — add some lentils, chicken, quinoa, or something else, add whatever seasonings you'd like, maybe a bit of olive oil, and turn the pot on. When it's all cooked, use the hand blender to blend it all up (that way it doesn't matter how the veggies were chopped to begin with). I purposely don't use a large crock pot as then I'm overwhelmed with too much I have to prepare for the freezer. (It also keeps me from making a HUGE pot of soup/stew that didn't turn out particularly well.)

I find steamed veggies easier to tolerate than stir-fried ones. I find that if my digestion isn't working well, blending everything helps. Having something in the freezer ready to go is a life-saver. And having soup or stew ready to eat in the fridge means I can scoop out a small amount to eat at a time, rather than having a whole meal to eat at once. And when I'm able, I try to start adding in veggies that haven't been cooked to a pulp, a little at a time, to see if I can tolerate them.

JAH

Carrigon,

I know how you feel-- I have also felt like I can't eat anything. I would add just a couple of things -- in addition to avoiding processed food (I eat mainly veg, fruit and meat. most grains, soy, dairy, etc., bother me)
-Consider taking enzymes. I have tried well over 100 different supplements, and digestive enzymes have been one of the few that do anything. I recommend taking a broad spectrum enzyme that will help digest fat, protein and carbs. I take rainbow light's allzyme double strength or advanced enzyme system.
-Keep hope because food sensitivities can change. I came close to death after going into shock from and allergic reaction to seafood, so believe me, I have had severe food allergies. I have noticed, that over time, I'm a little less sensitive, plus I know how to manage it. I once was extremely sensitive to milk, but now can tolerate a little of it. Ditto oatmeal. I stay gluten free, but have noticed that when I cheat, it's not as bad. My overall health is terrible, but this part has improved a little. I don't know how long you've been sick, but the food allergies hit hard a year or 2 into it. Once you learn what you can and can't eat, you will get better.
-I also have chronic nausea and do take antacids, zantac and omeprazol. I'm a little hesitant to recommend them, and I hate taking them, but they do help. If you feel like acidic foods- coffee, tea, lemonade, oj,etc. make you nauseous, you may have gastritis, and the antacids will help. You can also just take them when you have a flair up, then wean off. (don't quit cold turkey, because you will get a nasty rebound)
good luck and hang in there,.
JAH
and try rice milk- rice dream enriched is what I drink. it tastes good, and has some nutrition

jace

Off the fence
Hey creekfeet, if you can get coconut cream, it's a solid block, does not need refrigeration and is way cheaper (in UK anyway) than tins of coconut milk! Sorry, off topic here.

Carrigon, sweetheart, I hope you are winning with your battle to get nutrition that doesn't do you in. I feel for you, I do hope you find some strategies that help.

Carrigon

I have that seafood allergy, too. My father has it. He can't digest any seafood. The hospital told him if he eats it again, he could die.

I get it with different fish. Pollack seems to do me in. Fishsticks, anything made with that kind of fish. I can still tolerate some things like salmon or tuna, but I have to becareful.

Garlic is BAD, I cannot stress that enough. If you have POTS/NMH/Dysautonomia, garlic is your worst enemy on this planet. Every time you add it to anything you eat, it will lower that blood pressure for up to two days. You will be weak and sick and dizzy and lightheaded.

I am so sick of having acid reflux. Every time I have to down a pepcid ac, I know it's doing damage to me. And I can't get rid of the acid.

I started on the spirutein shakes again. Spirutein has some enzymes in it and it's got amino acids and vitamins and minerals. I usually feel better on it.

I seem to feel better with more protein. I think I'm anemic. I don't know. I've added iron to my supplements. But I feel better when I eat chicken or meat. And I've been drinking alot of almond milk lately.

dancer

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet...

My hubby and I often put quinoa in a small crockpot at bedtime. It's ready in the morning - gluten free, good digestible protein, and you can doctor it with whatever you can tolerate. (I use cinnamon, raisins, and walnuts).

Misfit Toy

I had this test for food allergies. It was sent to Germany. It showed that I am missing a peptide needed to break down foods and that is why I am having food allergies. The shot to replace and fix the problem, is so expensive. Not sure I am going to do it. I just think the food thing is awful and interesting. As more time goes on, I have become more and more allergic to foods and everything.

I eat the foods I am allergic to anyway. I try to rotate, but sometimes I am too sick to do that. I think, and from what I am reading, it sounds like you are too unwell to make or prepare food. You are in a tough spot, as are many of us.

The spirutein is a good quick and easy thing to mix and gives you what you need, so that is a start!