• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What is an undermethylated depressive supposed to eat?

junkcrap50

Hi @junkcrap50 your symptoms actually sound more like copper deficiency or potassium deficiency to me. What you describe is exactly what happens to me when my copper or my potassium drops too low. I also get palpitations as part of my symptomology. As you noted, copper potassium and calcium can present almost identical deficiency symptoms and are dependent on one another where a deficiency in one will lead to a deficiency in the other.

Also, since starting higher dose lithium (5 mg/day), I don't need as much calcium and I also think that oxalate dumping had more to do with my calcium deficiency than anything else.
I agree it sounds like potassium deficiency. But I've been taking 20mEq 2x/day (1500mg 2x/day) plus diet and I've noticed no benefits, whereas many people potassium deficient feel a difference right away. Also it raised my serum potassium to tie the upper limit of normal.

Why do you say copper deficiency? Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that would be possible via methylation, except your case disproves my thought. I thought it was hard to become copper deficient to begin with. I was always a bit afraid to mess with copper and zinc because you can quickly loose control and screw things up easily.

drmullin30

Why do you say copper deficiency? Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that would be possible via methylation,

Many of us who are on methylation protocols experience what's called re-feeding syndrome and copper is one of the nutrients that seems to be affected. It's probably due to copper's involvement in myelination of neurons and in angiogenesis (formation of new blood vessels). If you are taking lots of potassium and still not seeing the benefit it's likely to be copper. This is how I found out I needed it because my potassium stopped working.

Before I started the advanced methylation or Freddd protocol, I used to be copper toxic. I blew that out in the first few months on the protocol. Now I need to supplement 12 - 16 mg per day to keep from having palpitations, muscle spasms and muscle weakness which when it gets bad can cause burning and pain like heavy exercise and a general feeling of cold.

Lithium is helping with this and I agree, it's scary to supplement copper and you need to be careful to avoid toxicity. I use molybdenum, chromium, manganese or zinc when my copper levels get too high. I use acu-cell website to figure out my imbalances based on symptoms.