• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vitamin A and its Interactions (Split From Vitamin D Sensitivity Thread)

Gondwanaland

Do the symptoms sound like -Cu to you?
My husband's low copper symptoms:
sensitivity to FODMAPS, citrate foods, magnesium supplements (IBSD)
when it is extreme, his hair gets "kinky"
can't fall asleep before 3 AM

My symptom from zinc is instant anemia signs (muscle and bone pain) that subside immediately upon taking iron/B1.

I am precisely going to talk about this in my thread about B6.

Johnmac

My husband's low copper symptoms:
sensitivity to FODMAPS, citrate foods, magnesium supplements (IBSD)
when it is extreme, his hair gets "kinky"
can't fall asleep before 3 AM

My symptom from zinc is instant anemia signs (muscle and bone pain) that subside immediately upon taking iron/B1.

I am precisely going to talk about this in my thread about B6.

Thanks for that.

That's interesting, because I have developed an acute sensitivity to FODMAPs in recent months - first time.

(Mg supps play havoc with my gut - but it's always been like that. And hair too short to tell if it's kinky.)

But the FODMAP thing is indeed interesting. Did he get crabby mood as well?

Johnmac

This might sound like a cracked record (or it will soon), but low Cu presents here as fatigue (ie more fatigue), tiredness, low appetite, nausea, neutropeania. In actual fact, it really looks more like Zn toxicity (even if the bloods said both).

See: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/51/2/225.abstract

Thanks CCC, interesting paper.

I have the fatigue & tiredness, nausea & (going by the number of infections I've had lately) neutropenia. So most of the above.

Johnmac

When he eats "too healthy" (i.e. FODMAPS) he gets crabby and gets furunculosis. Gotta keep eating high copper foods.

Oh, that sounds exactly like me.

I'm supplementing with copper (about 10mg/day) rather than seeking out high copper foods. (Quite a few of which are high-zinc as well.) Should I be doing the latter, or are supps enough?

I assume he doesn't ever supplement zinc...?

Finally, does he get copper-deficient regularly - or is this a fairly recent thing? (If you don't mind me asking.) My notion is that you (i) get copper-deficient from (say) taking too much zinc, (ii) stop the zinc & supplement copper, & (iii) the copper deficiency gradually goes away. And thereafter (so long as you don't over-supplement zinc) you don't have further problems. Is that realistic?

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

I assume he doesn't ever supplement zinc...?
Last year our doctor prescribed him zinc w/o copper and that at least helped me find out about his copper issues. He gets copper depletion quite often from high zinc / sulfur / fiber foods. He can't take probiotics with FOS. He craves coca-cola, and the only nut he can eat is cashew which is the one highest in copper (eating cashews frequently helps with the furunculosis). Many foods which are high in copper are also high in polyphenol oxidase (avocado, mushrooms) so there is no use to eat those. He only supplements with copper when he gets IBSD, otherwise copper antagonizes the thyroid and taxes the adrenals.

P.S. We don't want too much copper.

Last edited:

Johnmac

Last year our doctor prescribed him zinc w/o copper and that at least helped me find out about his copper issues. He gets copper depletion quite often from high zinc / sulfur / fiber foods. He can't take probiotics with FOS. He craves coca-cola, and the only nut he can eat is cashew which is the one highest in copper (eating cashews frequently helps with the furunculosis). Many foods which are high in copper are also high in polyphenol oxidase (avocado, mushrooms) so there is no use to eat those. He only supplements with copper when he gets IBSD, otherwise copper antagonizes the thyroid and taxes the adrenals.

P.S. We don't want too much copper.

Thanks, interesting again. I've never had copper issues before, so this is all new to me. I hope that supplementing a while will fix the problem for good. I wouldn't want recurrences if I could avoid then, as the symptoms are horrible.

What's the FOS/probiotic link? How is that connected to low copper?

So -Cu > FODMAP-sensitivity > IBSD?

I've had big FODMAP problems beginning the same time as my presumed -Cu, & didn't imagine they were connected till now.

Has he done blood tests for copper BTW?

I note that prebiotic foods boost mineral absorption - tho nothing specific on copper yet.

Last edited:

Chocolove

Tournament of the Phoenix - Rise Again
I have had bad reaction to cod liver oil and ended up researching it. Manufacturers do all kinds of things to the cod liver oil, but can still sell it as cod liver oil. That means they may have extracted some of the vitamins to sell separately. (Why sell something once when you can divide into 2 thus selling it twice.) Then some companies began selling "fermented oil," and a lot of people started getting sick. I believe they pulled one over on us and that oil was basically just rancid oxidized waste product that no one should consume...

Johnmac

I have had bad reaction to cod liver oil and ended up researching it. Manufacturers do all kinds of things to the cod liver oil, but can still sell it as cod liver oil. That means they may have extracted some of the vitamins to sell separately. (Why sell something once when you can divide into 2 thus selling it twice.) Then some companies began selling "fermented oil," and a lot of people started getting sick. I believe they pulled one over on us and that oil was basically just rancid oxidized waste product that no one should consume...

That's interesting. I was hoping that CLO had all its original ingredients. (I use Nordic - I hope this is the case with them.)

Fermented is sold as an improvement, so thanks for the heads-up.