• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Van der Meer strikes again

Rivotril

This article was placed in the Dutch regional newspaper "De Gelderlander", and I have not yet seen it on this forum, if otherwise, delete please : )
Again a "one-source story" with some of the same wrong facts as in The Volkskrant article, and some new rubbish
I haven't had a chance to translate it, maybe later...till then, google translator will hopefully do the job :)

Ergernis over omstreden vermoeidheidstest

donderdag 06 mei 2010 | 08:07 | Laatst bijgewerkt op: donderdag 06 mei 2010 | 08:36

NIJMEGEN - Het Radboudziekenhuis veroordeelt het besluit van het Whittemore Peterson Institute in Reno (VS) om een vooralsnog omstreden test op het moeheidsvirus alvast aan te bieden. Volgens professor Interne Geneeskunde Jos van der Meer van het UMC St Radboud woedt nog volop de discussie of de test (kosten: 650 euro) betrouwbaar is.
Zelf is hij niet overtuigd van het bestaan van het moeheidsvirus. „Bied je nu zo’n test aan, dan ben je verkeerd bezig. Het marktdenken domineert ten koste van de wetenschappelijke betrouwbaarheid.”

Het Nijmeegse ziekenhuis is sinds vorig jaar in een felle polemiek verwikkeld rondom de vraag of het chronische vermoeidheidssyndroom (cvs) wordt veroorzaakt door een virus. Het Amerikaanse instituut pretendeerde in oktober bewijs hiervoor te hebben gevonden met een bloedtest waarmee het virus kan worden aangetoond. Dit zou worden aangetroffen bij twee derde van de patinten.

Nijmeegse onderzoekers hebben met dezelfde test gn ziekteverwekker kunnen opsporen. Volgens de Nijmeegse wetenschappers is het Amerikaanse laboratorium waarschijnlijk vervuild. „Bij dit soort testen komt dat vaker voor, het is een bekend probleem.”

De twee kampen zijn beide van mening, alleen zelf de test op correcte wijze uit te voeren.
http://www.gelderlander.nl/voorpagina/nijmegen/6648235/Ergernis-over-omstreden-vermoeidheidstest.ece?start=1&sort=asc#reakties

Rivotril

Anger over controversial fatigue test

Thursday, May 6, 2010 | 8:07 | Last updated: Thursday, May 6, 2010 | 8:36

NIJMEGEN - The Radboud Hospital condemns the decision of the Whittemore Peterson Institute in Reno (USA) to test a controversial yet on weariness virus already offering. According to Professor of Internal Medicine Jos van der Meer of the UMC St Radboud rages still plenty of discussion about whether the test (cost: 650 euros) is reliable.
He himself is not convinced of the existence of the fatigue virus. "Bid now to such a test, you're doing wrong. The market-dominating at the expense of scientific reliability. "

The Nijmegen hospital since last year embroiled in a fierce controversy about whether chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is caused by a virus. The American Institute in October pretended to have found evidence for a blood test that the virus can be demonstrated. This would be found in two thirds of patients.

Nijmegen researchers with the same test, a pathogen detection. According to the Nijmegen laboratory scientists, the U.S. probably contaminated. "This kind of testing that is more common, it's a known problem."

The two camps are both consider themselves the only test correct manner.

usedtobeperkytina

WPI, please call them and demand a correction or insist they put in your letter to the editor. Lies must be corrected. This is not politics, this is harmful misrepresentation that will possibly affect your efforts and therefore, millions of CFS sufferers.

No need to lodge any counter attacks. Just set the record straight.

Tina

fred

The game is afoot
liar.jpg

leaves

Aren't these unsubstantiated claims and accusations illegal? Cant we SUE this W*NKER?
*recomposing...*
Sorry for losing my temper, That guy makes me real angry.

Rivotril

Hopefully this version will do well....

Anger over controversial fatigue test

Thursday, May 6, 2010 | 8:07 | Last updated: Thursday, May 6, 2010 | 8:36

NIJMEGEN - The Radboud Hospital condemns the decision of the Whittemore Peterson Institute in Reno (USA) for offering a presently controversial test to detect a fatgue virus (XMRV) . According to Professor of Internal Medicine Jos van der Meer of the UMC St Radboud there still rages plenty of discussion about whether the test (cost: 650 euros) is reliable.
He himself is not convinced of the existence of the fatigue virus. "when you're offering such a test at this moment, you're doing wrong. The marketbased-thinking then dominates at the expense of scientific reliability. "

The Nijmegen hospital since last year embroiled in a fierce controversy about whether chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is caused by a virus. The American Institute in October pretended to have found evidence for a blood test with which the virus can be verified. This would be found in two thirds of patients.

Nijmegen researchers found no pathogenic agent with the same test. According to the Nijmegen laboratory scientists, the U.S. laboratory is probably contaminated. "In this kind of testing this is common, it's a known problem."

The two camps both hold the view that they personally did run the test in a correct way

VillageLife

I thought it was the WPI, that was working with the CDC and various agencies, as far as I know he isn't working with these agencies...this must mean something!

Rivotril

almost everything he says is proven incorrect already, even the price of the test (€650,- which is over $ 800) is incorrect.

The "region-bound" argument is gone, only contamination-bullshit is left...
Contamination in three different labs?
Contamination also in antibody-testing ??? (which is not possible, according to Goff/Raccaniello, see ”http://forums.aboutmecfs.org/content.php?98-Virologists-on-XMRV,

“It’s very compelling if you do have seropositivity (antibody result) because then it’s not a cause of contamination"

And again the argument that they used same test as WPI! (it is stated a thousand times before that WPI ran FOUR tests and Nijmegen only used an (insensitive) PCR test.

This has nothing to do with science or finding the truth anymore...

omerbasket

Nijmegen researchers found no pathogenic agent with the same test.
Perhaps it's a translation mistake - but if not - isn't it a lie? "same test"? I mean the whole story is that they didn't test it as they should have.

Besides, I want to say something: In Hebrew we use a saying that comes from Aramic. It's verbal explanation is: When there is a small coin in a big jar, and you shake the jar, the small coin makes a lot of noise. It is said in order to describe a situation in which people hear all the time about a person/something that worth nothing, but makes a lot of noise.
And I think the story with Van der Meer is the story of a small coin in a big jar: Who the hell is he? I mean, from all the 3 bad studies that were done in europe regarding XMRV in ME/CFS patients - his was the worst (much less cohorts, worse criteria [Oxford] etc.). He's not a virologist (and definitely not a retrovirologist). I think we don't hear much from Kerr now and even from Wessely, but that Van der Meer still wants to make a lot of noise. Who is he? I mean, I think I'd believe Britney Spears more if she had something to say about XMRV...

fred

The game is afoot
It's verbal explanation is: When there is a small coin in a big jar, and you shake the jar, the small coin makes a lot of noise. It is said in order to describe a situation in which people hear all the time about a person/something that worth nothing, but makes a lot of noise.

I must plagiarise that saying in future posts.

Digital_Coin_Counting_Jar.jpg

Rivotril

Originally Posted by Rivotril

Perhaps it's a translation mistake - but if not - isn't it a lie? "same test"? I mean the whole story is that they didn't test it as they should have.

It is not a translation mistake, I'm Dutch so I'm 100% sure about this passage. I underlined it because it is too crazy for words that Van der Meer can go on with publishing such lies in a major newspaper in The Netherlands, with journalists just writing down the bullshit he tells them without checking anything from another source.
But I can understand your doubt, because it's pretty unbelievable that such complete lies are published as facts in newspapers, and it's also unbelievable how ignorant the (dutch) newspaper-journalists are...they have also done a worthless job again.

anciendaze

Meer words

Both PCR and antibody tests can be contaminated, but not by the same thing. The PCR they are doing can be contaminated by DNA, the antibody tests can be contaminated by antibodies produced by infected organisms. Typically, nested PCR has higher specificity and lower sensitivity. When different methods show consistent results, within the bounds of those differences, it is strong evidence the results are real. Even if you postulate that two kinds of contamination take place, you still have the problem that the conditions producing a particular level of contamination are very different in the two cases.

The letter Dr. Mikovits has just released shows that she took the extraordinary measure of keeping the room where testing took place "virgin" in the sense that none of the usual causes of contamination had ever entered the room. It also reveals that every sample was accompanied by a negative control taken from human blood. None of the controls were found contaminated.

If I correctly recall the paper where Gow did the PCR, they used water as a negative control. This is not going to allow any contaminant to reproduce. From the standpoint of eliminating the risk of contamination, it is virtually worthless. The Nijmegen group did better laboratory work, but, by the estimates I've made, they simply did not have the sensitivity to detect XMRV at the levels reported by Mikovits.

Conducting a controversy through the public press, when you have had an opportunity to resolve questions with a cooperating laboratory which supplied you with reagents and test samples speaks for itself.

There are other methods of demonstrating contamination, which have not been addressed. Dr. Mikovits has disclosed her methods, presumably at the cost of commercial advantage. The original test by CD has been withdrawn, pending cheaper and easier clinical tests, though Van der Meer seems unaware of this. It is time to put up or shut up.

BTW: Anyone who escapes from psychiatric therapy without spending $650 of someone's money must not have had a problem. This money goes directly to therapists, without overhead for running a laboratory. Does this cause a conflict of interest?

omerbasket

Originally Posted by Rivotril

It is not a translation mistake, I'm Dutch so I'm 100% sure about this passage. I underlined it because it is too crazy for words that Van der Meer can go on with publishing such lies in a major newspaper in The Netherlands, with journalists just writing down the bullshit he tells them without checking anything from another source.
But I can understand your doubt, because it's pretty unbelievable that such complete lies are published as facts in newspapers, and it's also unbelievable how ignorant the (dutch) newspaper-journalists are...they have also done a worthless job again.
Is it possible to e-mail this newspaper and ask them to interview the WPI and let them contradict Van der Meer's words?

And Fred - Please, use it as much as you'd like :Retro smile:

Rivotril

http://www.wegener.nl/contact/index.html

De Gelderlander
redactie@gelderlander.nl

This is the e-mail adress they use for press releases, which fits best in this case, out of the available adresses
already many people have placed the same comments we mentioned here on the site of "De Gelderlander" as you can see when you go to the link in post #1

But it's a good thing to also e-mail them, I think..
Not just me but more of us maybe, so they can see that this misinformation is noticed not just in the Netherlands, but all over the world

Van der Meer and his marionet Van Kuppenveld will have a hard time one day.
On the moment they do not know how to wipe their path clean. But we have another
retrovir. (Boucher) who is working with Coffin on the moment. He is a HIV expert.
So I wonder how long Van der Meer will survive. He is in the field much too long allready.