• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vagus nerve stimulation - Nurosym device

lenora

@Husamor.....As I reread it, I know that I can't understand my own question. I just hope it will work for you and look forward to future reports. Yours, Lenora

Hufsamor

I know someone who has a Vivosmart 4 with the body battery, and she likes it very much. It helps her a lot with pacing. I'd thought of getting one and then forgot about it! (no surprise :wide-eyed: ) Anyways, thanks for posting about this, I will think about it again . . .

if I should by one now, I’d probably by a forerunner 255.
(I’ve bought my watch used, I don’t know how easy it is in other countries)
It measures HRV -heart rate variability- all night as well, with its own graph.
It’s seems to be an extremely helpful addition.

In the meantime you might want to start with this free app, it’s under development , from someone with log covid. It seems they are working on a watch as well
https://www.makevisible.com/

Last edited:

Jo86

Had noooooo clue such a thing existed, but yes, it is indeed expensive. I'd be tempted to try one that's cheaper than 700€ (money back if not satisfied or not), as someone earlier in the thread mentioned one: but how do we know how efficient those other devices are compared to the Nurosym (which seems the state of the art device atm).

Has ANYONE on here had improvement with brain fog ? I've read about improvement on mood, feeling calmer (sympathetic NS and inflammation reduced), ppl mentioned sleep... that sort of thing... but anyone actually improved their brain fog with this thing ? Thx.

I used the Nurosym vagal stimulator for an hour a day for at least two months. I imagined that it had helped a little with my IBS, but my meticulous records show that it had no discernible effect - except on my bank account. However, I also do daily breathing exercises and take pills that, according to my tracker, have a clear effect on my autonomic nervous system. So it's possible that the Nurosym would have helped me before I started those treatments.

Artemisia

Next chapter:
A woman in this group had bought one of those devices.
This is what her day’s originally looked like:View attachment 50667
This is not good.
The stress in her body is very high, and she hardly gets any rest at night.
But this is not unusual among me-folks.
(Even healthy people can have stress like this after a hard party with plenty of alcohol, or other stressors.
This is not at all healthy for anyone in the long run, and a me body in particular needs to get the stress down)

She then bought the device I mentioned in my earlier post,
and this is what her days and nights have been like ever since
View attachment 50669
Do you have any updates on the people you know using this device, please?

Hufsamor

No i haven’t.
It went quiet. But I can ask in the group, and see if I get any updates, my impression is that none of us got much out of it in the long run.

I have read in some other thread, that even if one device doesn’t suit you, another one might. That person had tried three different devices I believe, before he found one they helped him.
But who can afford that? :p

Blazer95

i have found you can manipulate the ANS with breathing exercises.

i have the ELITE hrv app that offers different breathing exercises of wich i mostly use "Calm Anxiety" being a 4s inhale through nose and 7s exhale through the mouth.

today for example my baseline rMSSD was 15ms and it shot up to a whopping 54ms while doing the exercise.

this may be a cheaper alternative for people wanting to train and stimulate their nervous system.

disclaimer: unclear if the effects last or wear off after breathing technique is stopped.....

just wanted to share it because i got a coospo chest-strap that was on sale for 30 bucks and that sounded a bit cheaper.

Artemisia

No i haven’t.
It went quiet. But I can ask in the group, and see if I get any updates, my impression is that none of us got much out of it in the long run.

I have read in some other thread, that even if one device doesn’t suit you, another one might. That person had tried three different devices I believe, before he found one they helped him.
But who can afford that? :p
Would greatly appreciate any updates; thank you!