Vagus nerve stimulation - Nurosym device

Bergkamp

Hi all,

About 4 weeks ago I’ve had a mega crash due to accidentally taking 2 dexamethasone (see this thread: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/accidentally-took-dexamethasone-need-help.87884/ ) Went from moderate to (very) severe in one hit - still hoping I can bounce back relatively quickly from this.

My main issue right now is that the corticosteroid in the dexamethasone put my ANS in a hyperactive and hyperaroused state and it just won’t calm down. I’ve tried a lot of techniques like meditation and humming and deep breathing and it does calm down but usually during the night I get adrenaline rushes again. It’s driving me crazy and hindering my recovery.

I’ve been looking into vagus nerve stimulation as a way to calm down my ANS and came across this device: www.nurosym.com. It’s scientifically tested and marketed for ME/CFS and long covid. It shows pretty good results for long covid so I’m interested. Some of you will say it’s too expensive and that’s probably right but money is not an issue for me. Does anyone of you have any experience with this device or similar devices maybe? Any other thoughts on the device? @vision blue i remember you mentioning something like this a while ago?

Hi - yes, I mentioned in that thread that one of the ways to try to calm down the SNS is by vagal nerve stimulatin. As Imentioned, vagal nerve stimulation activates the parasympathetic nervous system and since often when one is up and the other is down, it can help with the SNS. Glad to see by the way that the other suggestions I had helped you to some extent at least.

As for that model, I'm not familiar with it. I"m sure if they are trying to market it for long covid and cfs then they are changing a preimium just for that. Someone on another thread had suggested one that was only about 120 pounds; hopefully they will chime in and repost that link. But if money is no object, then maybe that doens't matter.

only thing i can think of in evaluating different models is that there are different routes to getting to the vagus nerve. some like the ear, others the upper chest, so there's differences in how you attach them. thre's also diffrence i think in portability. i'm guessing your biggest use will be at night before sleep. Anyway, be aware of how they make contact with skin and where and pick sometihng that you think how you'd like it to activate..

for a while i was going to build one froma tens unit but theyve come down in price enough I don't need to do that.

another thing in models is you dont' want to pick one that is subscription based. so if one goes into the route of getting a doc script, then its these awful models whwere each doc refill gives you a certain amount of time and then the uints shut off! Absurd. but i assume most direct to consumer models don't have that - for now anyway. sio makes sense to jump on one now before more places decide they can gouge people by using a subscription model.

let us know which you get and maybe blog on your progress- day1 i did such and such.

glad you are improving! And glad our suggestions helped at least a little bit.

hapl808

Has anyone had significant results with vagus nerve stimulation and what kind of results? I did it years ago with a device when I was more moderate and not sure if any results. That was a long time ago, though. Now that I'm a bit more severe, I've only tried various vagus stimulating breathing exercises, etc.

BrightCandle

I have tried with a basic device the ear stimulation route and all the way down the spine and I found no benefits from either. I find tens to be useful for certain types of back pain but otherwise its not proved otherwise useful. Maybe precisely matching the frequency et el is vital and I can't do that on my machineas I can only select programmes and I get as close as that will let me. Maybe that is why it has never worked for me, in which case you need to spend real money on one of the much more capable machines which are 5x the price.

BrightCandle

Which ones do you mean if I may ask?
A unit actually made by TENS, so something like a Tens 7000 will do the job. Intensity also do one I believe as do Med-Fit. There is also the EV-906A. The main thing is you need to be able to set directly the pulse width and frequency alongside current. If the device shows a bunch of programmes its the same problem I have with my Auvon and it wont have the one you need for this purpose.

You need a machine capable of setting 20-30Hz with a pulse width of 200 microseconds from what I have seen in the literature on this for vagus nerve stimulation. In terms of current I think its 1ma to about 6ma is tolerable.

You also need some vagus nerve ear clips.

Bergkamp

A unit actually made by TENS, so something like a Tens 7000 will do the job. Intensity also do one I believe as do Med-Fit. There is also the EV-906A. The main thing is you need to be able to set directly the pulse width and frequency alongside current. If the device shows a bunch of programmes its the same problem I have with my Auvon and it wont have the one you need for this purpose.

You need a machine capable of setting 20-30Hz with a pulse width of 200 microseconds from what I have seen in the literature on this for vagus nerve stimulation. In terms of current I think its 1ma to about 6ma is tolerable.

You also need some vagus nerve ear clips.
Thank you so much for the info. I ordered the TENS 7000 and ear clips today. Curious to see what it’ll do!