• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vaccine-triggered CFS linked to nasopharynx inflammation, and 81% cured or improved by treating this nasopharyngitis

Hipsman

I recommend the once that use glue
One important thing to note is that some of glue cotton swabs have very little or no glue at all holding the cotton on one side, but good glue amount on the other side. This means that sometimes cotton is very loose and could theoretically slide off in nasopharynx and get into the lungs.

I usually check that the cotton is firmly in place on the stick by rubbing it a bit with fingers. If it's not, then I use the other side or another swab. More costly brands will probably have better quality of glue.

junkcrap50

I have noticed that some brands of cotton swabs have rigid bumps for keeping cotton in place, while others use glue. I recommend the once that use glue, becouse rigid bumps get exposed on one side of swab and they damage nasal tissue.
What's the correct swab brand?
This means that sometimes cotton is very loose and could theoretically slide off in nasopharynx and get into the lungs.
There are specialty "lint-free," "low lint," or "lint-controlled" cotton swabs that are synthetic using polyester or a foam so that no stray strands of cotton are shed & left behind or inhaled. But I'm not sure if they are widely available as "sterile."

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I had a discussion with my PCP about the vaccine adjuvant nasopharygitis-CFS study. Like Dr. Edwards, he doesn't think there is anything to it. I'm having a hard time with this focal infection theory of CFS also. In 2007 I had a Hepatitis B vaccination in an arm which was not taken orally. I did not develop CFS soon after the vaccination but soon after contracting HHV6 from a girlfriend while recovering from EBV which fits the Lerner's herpetec latent viral infection model. Why would the adjuvant only target the nasopharynx when it never had an exposure there? I have severe global periostitis as a result of treatment of the CFS. Perhaps any nasopharyngial tenderness is just supramaxillary periostitis with tissue damage from scraping the swab against the inflammed periosteum. Color me skeptical of this theory too.

No it is not interesting, Hip, it is called your tonsils, or at least the nasopharyngeal part of the Waldeyer or tonsillar ring. It is one of the first things you learn in immunology, or even school biology. The back of the nose is full of lymphocytes - in everyone.

As far as I can see all this study consists of is saying that if you stuff a cotton bud hard enough into someone's nose it will bleed and you can fool them into thinking they have 'nasopharyngitis' and charge lots of money. Most of them will find it so awful having something stuck in their nose they will stop coming back (as recorded) but a few will carry on. If you stop rubbing quite as hard you can get less bleeding and proclaim they are cured.

The immunology presented is rubbish. The 'trial' is not even properly set up and completely uncontrolled. PACE may be bad but this scores -99 I am afraid. Complete junk. More than that I would consider it a form of assault and potentially criminal.

@Hipsman,
I did try several ways to reach the epypharynx with the ZnCl2 solution.

In my experience the best way is going orally with a kinked cotton swab and inserting it behind the palatine uvula.

I would not recommend to use other substance than ZnCl2. As the epipharynx is an immunological active site, with a presumed malfunction, one sould avoid contact to substances with unknown effect.

From my own experience I know that 1% ZnCl2 can rapidly alleviating the inflammation in some cases.

Kind regards.

Hipsman

@DrFaust
I experience gag reflex when going orally.

I've tried ZnCl2, but the one I got wasn't "food grade" and I ended up getting bad reaction, so I'm cautious not to use anything that might me toxic.

I've been using onion juice-honey-olive oil solution for 5 mounts and it works with no side effects, but good quality food grade 1% ZnCl2 might do better, so I want to try that in the future. It's just that my previous experience with ZnCl2 puts me off...

Last edited:

bread.

I had a discussion with my PCP about the vaccine adjuvant nasopharygitis-CFS study. Like Dr. Edwards, he doesn't think there is anything to it. I'm having a hard time with this focal infection theory of CFS also. In 2007 I had a Hepatitis B vaccination in an arm which was not taken orally. I did not develop CFS soon after the vaccination but soon after contracting HHV6 from a girlfriend while recovering from EBV which fits the Lerner's herpetec latent viral infection model. Why would the adjuvant only target the nasopharynx when it never had an exposure there? I have severe global periostitis as a result of treatment of the CFS. Perhaps any nasopharyngial tenderness is just supramaxillary periostitis with tissue damage from scraping the swab against the inflammed periosteum. Color me skeptical of this theory too.
how severe are you if I may ask?

Hipsman

I think any zinc salt would work equally well; it's the zinc which had anti-inflammatory effects. Zinc acetate you can usually find as food grade, ACS grade or USP grade (which are all safe to consume).
Zinc picolinate should work, right? from here:
Zinc picolinate is a zinc salt of picolinic acid.

This Zinc acetate is also an option, but I'm confused by how to dilute it, if it's 18.75 mg Zinc per 1 "Vegetarian Lozenge" (Vegetarian Lozenges should work like capsules, right?), then to get 0.5% zinc I need to dilute 1 capsule in 375mg of water?

Last edited:

Hip

if it's 18.75 mg Zinc per 1 "Vegetarian Lozenge"

Zinc chloride (ZnCl2) contains 48% elemental zinc by weight, so a 0.5% solution of zinc chloride equates to a 0.5 * 48% = 0.24% solution of elemental zinc. So we want a 0.24% solution of elemental zinc.

A 0.24% weight/weight solution is defined as: 0.24 grams of the substance dissolved in 100 grams of the final solution.

So if we take 0.24 grams of elemental zinc, and add it to 99.76 grams of water, that creates 100 grams of a 0.24% solution.

In this case you have 0.01875 grams of elemental zinc in each lozenge, so the amount of water you require is correspondingly less, and equal to: (0.01875 / 0.24) * 99.76 = 7.8 grams of water = about 8 ml of water, which is nearly 2 teaspoons of water.

So if you dissolve one of your zinc lozenges in 8 ml of water you will get approximately the required 0.24% solution of elemental zinc.

Hipsman

a good way to get long cotton swabs is to connect the two with a toothpick. It's reliable and doesn't brake even when rubbing very hard. However, choose thick toothpicks, otherwise they may not secure swabs in place.
Recently had an incident where the whole cotton swab loosen off from the toothpick while it was at the back of nasopharynx (couldn't reach it with fingers), after 10 minutes of nose-blowing and trying to get it out with another cotton swab I got it out, all good.

What I learned from this is that it's a good idea to balance toothpick thickness and swabs to have them firmly connected, otherwise this may happen. I recently switched to a different brand of cotton swabs that turned out to be thinner than the previous one, but I kept using the same thick toothpick brand witch resulted in them not being connected as firmly.

Also, about 10-30% of toothpicks in any package of any brand I tried have been fragile and easily breakable in half with light force, I recommend checking durability of every toothpick before using it with light to moderate force, becouse these can break in half while doing the procedure too.

Tella

Recently had an incident where the whole cotton swab loosen off from the toothpick while it was at the back of nasopharynx (couldn't reach it with fingers), after 10 minutes of nose-blowing and trying to get it out with another cotton swab I got it out, all good.

What I learned from this is that it's a good idea to balance toothpick thickness and swabs to have them firmly connected, otherwise this may happen. I recently switched to a different brand of cotton swabs that turned out to be thinner than the previous one, but I kept using the same thick toothpick brand witch resulted in them not being connected as firmly.

Also, about 10-30% of toothpicks in any package of any brand I tried have been fragile and easily breakable in half with light force, I recommend checking durability of every toothpick before using it with light to moderate force, becouse these can break in half while doing the procedure too.
Ooook....nobody should do this at home! In any case don’t rub the back of your nose with swabs. Do u know that cotton and all dirt on it can go inside your brain?? Nose has direct access to it if u push not even far!!! Don’t encourage this

Hipsman

Do u know that cotton and all dirt on it can go inside your brain??
Do you have any evidence of this? specifically the cotton-type substance?

Nasopharyngeal swab is a common medical procedure, there is also Japanese study witch this thread is based on and this study haven't reported any negatives of using this procedure long-term as far as I am aware.

Tella

Do you have any evidence of this? specifically the cotton-type substance?

Nasopharyngeal swab is a common medical procedure, there is also Japanese study witch this thread is based on and this study haven't reported any negatives of using this procedure long-term as far as I am aware.
I don’t need evidence. If u look at human biology u will see the nose opens up to the brain. Therefore if u stick it so far it can go in the brain. That’s how viruses travel from nose to brain.
Yes the study looks strange anyway. If it’s a study it doesn’t mean it’s good. Plus swabs u use arent hygienic and the types they use for a short small weep, not a hard rub. That’s why u got cotton stuck there!

Hip

If u look at human biology u will see the nose opens up to the brain. Therefore if u stick it so far it can go in the brain. That’s how viruses travel from nose to brain.

There is no physical connection between the nasal cavity and brain. The brain is well protected by the surrounding skull bone.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3

Oooh, that sounds dangerous. Is there anyway you can source something like this in your country? https://www.amazon.com/200pcs-Cotto...rds=large+medical+swabs&qid=1601605514&sr=8-7

Edit: Interesting article on how to order things on Amazon.com that can be shipped to Ukraine: https://www.howitravel.co/amazon-ukraine/

Edit #2: It looks like this eBay seller will ship to Ukraine. If interested, please email them first to verify and to get pricing though before ordering. HERE is their listing.

Last edited:

Hipsman

Pyrrhus

There is no physical connection between the nasal cavity and brain. The brain is well protected by the surrounding skull bone.

Yes, although there are very very rare cases of nasal swabs puncturing the lining of the brain, but very very rare:
https://news.yahoo.com/amphtml/covid-19-test-caused-brain-212140549.html

More common are the amoebic brain infections caused by using tap water in a Neti Pot, instead of distilled or boiled water. This is more common in the southern US, where tap water occasionally contains amoebae. They probably infect the brain via the olfactory bulb:
11E37428-161D-4AC0-925A-E61AE12F3C2C.png

Hope this helps.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Okay, I didn't think of this yesterday but for people who want to try this there is an easier way to get the solution at least partially on the nasopharynx region. It's pretty easy--you just swallow the solution while looking at the ceiling. (Of course make sure it is a solution that can be swallowed.)

I've had some dental occlusion issues that affect my swallowing causing things to go up into my sinuses (like food and pills) instead of down into my esophagus as they should. It's gotten better but there was a year and a half where I couldn't swallow any pills whole.

I've since learned that swallowing looking up makes the problem worse. But for someone trying to get a solution into that area, it would probably also work and hopefully be easier and safer than swabbing.

Last edited: