• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hello! I'm new to the UK and looking for a doctor who will prescribe meds. When I lived in the US, I had a psychiatrist who prescribed Modafinil, which is the only thing that has ever helped my ME/CFS. My current psychiatrist in the UK doesn't seem to believe in ME/CFS and won't prescribe Modafinil. I'm in Manchester, but am happy to travel if it means getting help. Thanks in advance for taking the time and energy to reply!

Celandine

Psychiatrists are probably the last place to turn for help with ME in the UK. Over the last over 20 years the whole psych establishment here has done everything in their power to psychologise ME and prevent it being seen as a biological illness and not just patients perpetuating "false illness beliefs." You might have some luck with Dr. William Weir in London. He's not NHS, only private.

For Modafinil specifically (and also Gabapentin & sedatives), get a referral to a sleep disorders clinic at an NHS hospital. I was prescribed all three at a public hospital, within two appointments. At first you'll have to do a sleep study in the hospital lab, however.

Other patients still on the NHS might know if the situation has changed.

For Modafinil specifically (and also Gabapentin & sedatives), get a referral to a sleep disorders clinic at an NHS hospital. I was prescribed all three at a public hospital, within two appointments. At first you'll have to do a sleep study in the hospital lab, however.

Other patients still on the NHS might know if the situation has changed.

My daughter just had an assessment with an NHS neurologist about attending a local hospital for multiple sleep latency tests. We were very hopeful that this would lead to treatment for her insomnia, particularly as her sleep problems preceded her ME. However she was turned down for the tests, seemingly because she has an ME diagnosis.

Whilst I have sleep meditation prescribed by the same clinic, they've been hesitant to prescribe any kind of daytime stimulant, though they did consider it at one point.

It would be worth a try! Good luck :)