• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Trying Colloidal Silver. Instructions? Probiotics?

tootsieroll

I’m trying colloidal silver for my gut and it seems to cause bloating after several hours. I think it messes with my good bacteria. How should i take this? How much should I take? I take the teaspoon CS twice a day but should I follow it with probiotics or some sauerkraut an hour later? Should I be replenishing good bacteria more than twice throughout the day? Thanks.

tootsieroll

Really!? Was there a study that proved this? This is so alarming. That means all those people taking colloidal silver are walking around…filled with silver in their blood/tissues? :(

Rufous McKinney

it seems to cause bloating after several hours. I think it messes with my good bacteria. How should i take this?

my chinese herbalist is generally down on colloidal silver...(free advice I had to pay for)- he has his reasons, I don't recall specifics.

the Mood Probiotics I started have been helping my gut more than anything else I've tried (outside the Chinese herbs which help in a similar fashion)....its two strains, a particular. brand.

tootsieroll

Thanks @Rufous McKinney I have such a disturbed gut that it causes me female hemorrhaging when it fluctuates. It never stops bleeding. I have history with being floxed by antibiotics and probably C.difficile too. At one point I could see the silver working, but I was not replenishing with probiotics so I began bleeding again. I probably have no good bacteria diversity. So here's what I noticed after I minimized my bleeding. My gut bloating that made me look pregnant went down half way. And the apple cider vinegar I'm using is helping more than it did before Colloidal silver.

So this has me thinking, would it be safe to use short term? Like 5 days to a week to correct the imbalance and then add fermented foods/probiotics and continue to build on that. Cause I have tried everything and every anti-microbial, anti-bacterial, anti-viral herb supplement there is. Ranging from Berberine, Neem, Oregano, Allicin, Lauricidin, Chinese Herbal doctor, Acupuncture etc. I experienced side effects to herbs due to my impaired Migrating Motor complex. I also used Ozone water at some point after Antibiotics and this seemed to be the nail on the coffin. Wiped out any good bacteria I had left and wasn't able to replenish probiotics cause the bleeding would become more profuse if I added it. This has been since 2018 and CS has been the only thing that has been able to decrease the distended gut that built over time since 2018.

Last edited:

Rufous McKinney

that all sounds very difficult....I feel for you...(having alot of IBS-d issues myself)....

Short term is probably "safe enough"...(opinion I don't really have much to base it on)

my chinese herbalist is really good- its helped my gut alot, but nothing seems to permanently last. Its just when I take X or Y, its better and more tolerable. But if I stop: it just goes back to default.

so I often wonder if people just didn't find the right person to help them....the herbs are the most complex medicine there is...and it costs alot to maintain a 600 herb inventory plus......

like berberine...my herbalist told me absolutely to not take that, it would make my gut worse. Thats because its a chemical they isolated from an herb, and they would never give you JUST THAT ONE THING. It has to be balanced. Neem, oregono- really strong scary stuff if you ask me.that

you might find the discussion in various threads a bout using b-caryophylene of interest....there was some discussion about that and gut issues.......

Crux

I've had better antimicrobial results from copper glycinate. There's also a colloidal copper that is milder.

Copper compounds are good for menstrual bleeding especially if iron is low. Calcium chelate is good for excess bleeding and cramping.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@tootsieroll - I've used colloidal silver several times and have found it effective for what I think were minor infections. And it apparently can kill good bacteria as well as bad, so probably a good idea to supplement wit probiotics of some type. kefir works well for gut issues for me.

And no, I haven't turned blue. The cases of argyria typically involve persons who take large doses over a long period of time. They're pretty rare. Silver can be a very effective antibiotic and was used a lot prior to the advent of prescription ABX.

So I don't think a course of 5 days would cause any permanent harm.

I have been on & off silver for years. My doctor (MD, PhD) originally recommended it for Mycoplasma Pneumonia. He advised 10 ppm, 1/4 cup daily. I originally started with less than a tsp, as I had severe Herx reactions. It took me weeks to reach 1/4 cup. He said I could stay on 10 ppm for life at 1/4 cup daily. This is the one I use. It's a staple in my medicine cabinet. I have always been on probiotics.

lenora

We all eat silver each time we use tarnished silverware or serving dishes. It used to be a good way of balancing the body at one time.

Still, would i do it today: No, not very likely although there are still colloidal silver soaps available. At least when I was fighting shingles I thought my skin was clean (b/c of antibiotics, although shingles is viral). I soon became allergic to even it and the only thing I could use on my body and hair was Ivory soap. I wasn't even aware that it was still around. Good luck.....I think it depends on each of our systems. Yours, Lenora

Shanti1

Administrator
I have used colloidal silver at various times. It was very helpful when I was in the worst of my battle against Candida Krusei.

For reference on Silver Intake:
Risk of Oligodynamic Silver Use in Food Preservation and Processing Operations
Dietary exposure is approximately 90 µg/day.[6–8] Based on EPA’s reference dose, the maximum daily exposure to silver should be less than 350 µg.[9,10] The World Health Organization Guidelines for Drinking Water Quality[11] established a lifetime oral intake of about 10 g of silver....The literature review did not find an occurrence of adverse health effects associated with exposure to colloidal silver compounds in either the EU or U.S. Colloidal silver proteins with low silver content (1–6 ppm) are sold in the U.S. as health food products.

The Sovereign Silver product I have used is 10ppm, which is would be 10mcg/mL. Even if I were to take several mL per day, I'm still far from what is considered maximal daily intake. For this reason, I'm not so concerned about argyria as I understand this happens in people who use huge amounts, usually homemade with larger silver particles. However, I have started using alternatives to colloidal silver. This is mostly due to my concern over research like this:

Greish K, et al. The Effect of Silver Nanoparticles on Learning, Memory and Social Interaction in BALB/C Mice. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2019 Jan 8;16(1):148

and this:

tootsieroll

I'm sorry for the delayed reply. I didn't get notifications for these. I want to thank each and every one of you for giving feedback and personal accounts. I'm truly glad to see it has helped some of you. Unfortunately it did more harm to me than helped. It has helped in the past in minute quantities, like 30 drops here and there. This time, it caused my bleeding to come roaring back and I couldn't stop it. Also clumps of hair started falling out, to the point where when my hair was wet after washing I could see through it. I have a wooly carpet for hair usually. I was only able to stop my bleeding with high dose Lauricidin and dealt with die off. I was up to 12 scoops of Lauricidin to stop it. I think my immune system is extremely weak and very deficient in vitamin/minerals.

Not to mention probably ravaged with Candida. White tongue and darn awful smell coming from my mouth. Some reason my bleeding is connected to my gut. Maybe by how the microbes cause hormones to fluctuate or leaky gut. But due to many years of bloated stomach and low stomach acid, i thought I would do a test for H.Pylori. Low and Behold, I was positive. Bought some mastic gum, took some and it caused a burning stomach sensation. Dealt with die off diarrhea and miraculously, my stomach flattened by 30%. I think these gut infections are causing massive inflammation, including in my uterus. For some reason, silver fed the H.Pylori and other bugs in my gut. Could be the fact that it is a metal and depending on what bugs one has, it could be like a fan to a flame. I'm gonna continue on eradicating H.Pylori. I hope this can be the answer to my bleeding that has been nonstop since 2018. So far Laurcidin and Mastic gum has been able to completely stop it. Let's see if this holds up.