• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Trouble balancing Niacin and Thiamin

Since increasing Niacin a week ago, I have had terrible balance of vitamins and bad symptoms. I tried returning to my original dosing the but issues didn’t resolve. I can’t seem to balance the levels of: B3, B1, (I think Magnesium, but could be other minerals)

Attached is a chart of my attempts at balancing and the effects I’ve felt.

Some thoughts:
Increasing B3 somehow seemed to make irrelevant the very hard balancing act between Methyl vitamins (mainly methyl B12) and vitamins that seemed to slow methylation (B3/B6). Suddenly how much Methyl B12 I did or didn’t take didn’t really matter.
Increasing B3 also seemed to decrease the need for Molybdenum

My best guess: B3 is somehow effecting a mineral (?) that is also effected by B1 but in the opposite way. Ie B3 increases a mineral that B1 decreases, or vice versa. Because of the Uric Acid issues and a lessened need for Molybdenum I am thinking:
B3 increases absorption of Molybdenum, which decreases Copper; B1 dumps copper.
But I haven’t found any support for this in research and I’m eating full servings of Pumpkin Seeds and Sunflower Seeds which are both high in copper everyday.
NiacinIssues.png

LINE

I am pretty sure that B3 will upregulate methylation (it always made me bonky). B2 is always helpful for me as is B6 and Pantothenic Acid (B5).

Everybody responds differently which I keep in mind.

sb4

I experimented with Niacin for my poor carb tolerance issues. It seemed to help that a little however after 2 or 3 days I started feeling off in the afternoon and quite depressed. I stopped then restarted the niacin a while later and the same thing happened.

LINE

[QUOTE
Increasing B3 also seemed to decrease the need for Molybdenum

My best guess: B3 is somehow effecting a mineral (?) that is also effected by B1 but in the opposite way. Ie B3 increases a mineral that B1 decreases, or vice versa. Because of the Uric Acid issues and a lessened need for Molybdenum I am thinking:
B3 increases absorption of Molybdenum, which decreases Copper; B1 dumps copper.
But I haven’t found any support for this in research and I’m eating full servings of Pumpkin Seeds and Sunflower Seeds which are both high in copper everyday. [/QUOTE]

Copper levels could be low and yes, you are correct in that there is a relationship between copper/uric acid and molybdenum. Copper also happens to be a necessary nutrient for immune function, I think it is involved in neutrophil production and is involved in metabolic processes in the cell (Cytochrome C etc) and many other functions in the body. 1989-v04n02-p099.pdf (traceelements.com)

Best test is through Trace Elements Inc. who can test mineral levels. This is a trusted company (I have used them for 30 years). Correct mineral balance is overlooked but very important. I do not think that guessing is productive.

Last edited:
You're right. I'm getting my minerals tested by hair i'll report back. It was copper in this instance that made me feel better, but you are right I don't want to guess.

LINE

You're right. I'm getting my minerals tested by hair i'll report back. It was copper in this instance that made me feel better, but you are right I don't want to guess.

Yes, please let me know - I have many hours of study in minerals.