• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Role of Cell Adhesion and Cytoskeleton Dynamics in the Pathogenesis of the Ehlers-Danlos Syndromes and Hypermobility Spectrum Disorders

The paper is summarized with this section:

"These findings suggest that what unites and defines the EDS/HSD subtypes may not be defects in the structure and/or organization of collagen itself, but in cell adhesion to collagen. If such a notion is correct, this may provide an ideal basis for the development of a universal or non-specific diagnostic test that truly captures all EDS/HSD subtypes, irrespective of the principal underlying defect. "

One of the most interesting sentences, to me, was this:

"Speculatively, any autoimmune or inflammatory condition that promotes a general disassembly of collagen in the ECM could initiate the same pathomechanism and promote connective tissue abnormalities, which then manifest through features of joint hypermobility, skin hyperextensibility, and tissue fragility. "

It's basically saying that hEDS like symptoms could be nonspecific manifestation of an unknown autoimmune or inflammatory condition, likely including CFS.

From a old CFS groupe from Captain Dave:
"
Matrix metallopeptidase 9 (MMP-9), also known as 92 kDa type IV collagenase, 92 kDa gelatinase or gelatinase B (GELB), is a class of enzymes that belong to the zinc-metalloproteinases family involved in the degradation of the extracellular matrix. In humans the MMP9 gene encodes for a signal peptide, a propeptide, a catalytic domain with inserted three repeats of fibronectin type II domain followed by a C-terminal.
There has always been a suspicion of a defect in the ability of bone marrow ability to turn out healthy red cells. Studies done on mice show that excess MMP9 induces a form of anemia. Many doctors has suspected a mycoplasma infection but I see raise MMP9 as being the culprit. At any rate, the treatment for mycoplasma was long term Doxycycline. Many CFS patients recovered and many did not.
I think the doctors blew it by not looking closely at MMP9. Doxycycline and minocycline also lower MMP9 and may well account for the recovery of those that took 100mg-day of either of these antibiotics for 3 months.
There is a lot of work to do in this area so be sure to consult a doctor.
"

@Nasaud I achieved almost full remission temporarily while on doxy + cefdinir for 1.5 months from connective tissue symptoms (weakened muscles, weak joints, fat loss, throwing out back, joint paint, brain fog, pallor, fluid dysregulation). I've been trying to find a cause for my symptoms, but maybe it's time to get back on them since the symptoms have returned in full force.