• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

Vegas

What's vaping? :sluggish:

Why do you do it when you meet people?

I think I'm missing something, somehow!

Assuming she is referring to a vaporizer

As @MeSci reported, cutting out the grains seems to be particularly effective. It was for me. I think a sinus rinse to include probiotics & saline works pretty well. Properly fermented foods has seemed to put all sinusitis behind me.

Vegas

Vaping = inhaling not smoke but vapor.
What a nice little slug!!!! :sluggish: I hadn't noticed it was available! ;)

Interesting idea, to vaporize this, what form do you use. Sseems a lot smarter than all the stupid things I put up my nose to get rid of sinus infections. Olive leaf extract did seem to be effective, but I imagine a whole bunch of essential oils could be used.

Asklipia

Interesting idea, to vaporize this, what form do you use. Seems a lot smarter than all the stupid things I put up my nose to get rid of sinus infections. Olive leaf extract did seem to be effective, but I imagine a whole bunch of essential oils could be used.

The idea of essential oils up my nose did not appeal.
We were trying to soothe the brain.
As usual not buying any supplements, making our own from the kitchen.
For this your need real turmeric root. Which you first deep freeze. When it comes out of this deep freeze, its texture is destroyed and you can more or less crush it to extract a lot of the water. Then in the tepid oven to dry it.
Shazam!!!! You can put it in a jar, you have real dried turmeric with the curcumins and tetrahydrocurcumins still in. Not the case of course it you buy it already dried, it has been washed with dry cleaning liquid, like they do for instant coffee and the oils are sold separately to make supplements and spices.

For vaping, the method I found brought out the greatest variety of useful curcumins (and please do not ask how I measured this) is here: http://www.vapecritic.com/vaporizers/volcano/
I agree with that guy, this is the Bentley of vaporizers.

The nice thing is, we rarely use it!!!!! No sinus trouble I found could resist our new therapy.
I suspect this also cures the lungs and reaches even down below.
Good luck!
Asklipia
EDIT : I forgot, this is a way to inject curcumins directly into the lymphatic system, by-passing the digestive process. I am sure many of you will see my point.

Last edited:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Assuming she is referring to a vaporizer

As @MeSci reported, cutting out the grains seems to be particularly effective. It was for me. I think a sinus rinse to include probiotics & saline works pretty well. Properly fermented foods has seemed to put all sinusitis behind me.

But aren't different bugs supposed to be in your sinuses than in your gut? You could risk introducing ones that were dangerous for the sinuses, surely?

xjhuez

Olive leaf extract did seem to be effective, but I imagine a whole bunch of essential oils could be used.
Oil of oregano is amazingly effective at killing bacteria - so much so that you really need to be careful with it. Ingesting too much is basically like setting off a bomb in your gut. Just a few drops in a tablespoon of olive oil will kill anything in your throat, even strep.

Do you mean you're using that stuff in nasal irrigation? What quantities?

From some research the preffered formula seemed to be: ±12gr of xylitol, 1/4 tsp sea salt, 1/4 tsp baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), used with distilled (in my case: pre-cooked) water. I use some sort of neti pot (doesn't look like it but acts in the same way).

Anyways, it doesn't seem to be curing it so I might try the turmeric. It's also a good excuse to finally by a vaporizer :smug:

Vegas

@Vegas, those are annoying symptoms, sorry to hear that. I hope you and your family feel better soon. Let us know if you think of anything to help.

Seems that I am having to make some changes with B vitamins, which is always challenging.

Oil of oregano is amazingly effective at killing bacteria - so much so that you really need to be careful with it. Ingesting too much is basically like setting off a bomb in your gut. Just a few drops in a tablespoon of olive oil will kill anything in your throat, even strep.

No doubt, actually I can recall not caring much for oil of oregano.

Last edited:

adreno

PR activist
I had strep not so long ago, and covered my tonsils and back throat with raw oregano oil, several times daily. It didn't kill the strep. It went away on it's own after a month or so. You don't need antibiotics for strep. That said, I think oregano oil is probably effective in many cases.

Vegas

But aren't different bugs supposed to be in your sinuses than in your gut? You could risk introducing ones that were dangerous for the sinuses, surely?

Well, the situation is a bit more complicated. I was trying to modify the host immune response (mine) temporarilty versus permanently populating the sinus cavity. This is a short-term intervention. There are also environmental considerations, pH, which may be favorably impacted by diet, such as through the elimination of grains.

Regardless I always sterilized the nasal bottle before hand and used saline. I think the risks are a bit overblown, but I have seen some nasty infections in my life, and protozoal infections are often catastrophic.

xjhuez

I had strep not so long ago, and covered my tonsils and back throat with raw oregano oil, several times daily. It didn't kill the strep. It went away on it's own after a month or so. You don't need antibiotics for strep. That said, I think oregano oil is probably effective in many cases.

Interesting. Oreganol P73 has killed mine, more than once.

Violeta

Colloidal silver is antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal. It's good for sinus infections.

Aileen

Colloidal silver is antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal. It's good for sinus infections.
The problem I have with this therapy is that you are putting something, silver, into your body that is not supposed to be there. Since the body does not naturally have silver in it, I'm not sure it has a pathway to break it down and eliminate it. It's great if the silver kills the microbes, but how do we then get rid of the silver?

Aileen

Getting back to the Resistant Starch topic ... Early in this thread I tried eating part of a small, pealed, well washed raw potato. I got my usual reaction to most foods - a nasty migraine along with a few lesser problems. If I did this badly on raw potato, is this an indication that RS is not for me?

Ripley

Getting back to the Resistant Starch topic ... Early in this thread I tried eating part of a small, pealed, well washed raw potato. I got my usual reaction to most foods - a nasty migraine along with a few lesser problems. If I did this badly on raw potato, is this an indication that RS is not for me?

No, it has no indication on RS. Raw potatoes contain a LOT of toxins that aren't in potato starch. Don't eat raw potatoes.

Violeta

The problem I have with this therapy is that you are putting something, silver, into your body that is not supposed to be there. Since the body does not naturally have silver in it, I'm not sure it has a pathway to break it down and eliminate it. It's great if the silver kills the microbes, but how do we then get rid of the silver?

Just check around, see what you find.

Sovereign Silver nasal spray @ iherb
http://www.iherb.com/Sovereign-Silv...=en-US&w=colloidal silver&rc=70&sr=null&ic=21

Here's an article about it.

http://www.rense.com/cs/cs1.htm

Last edited:

Violeta

@Sasha I haven't noticed improvements. I'm currently trailing a nasal drip with a mixture of xylitol, sea salt and baking soda, 3 times day. I notice temporary improvements, but nothing systematic. I'll try adding Johnson's baby shampoo next, if I can get my hands on it here in Europe (yes baby shampoo. Google it, it's been used in research).

I've gotten a lot better - up to the point where I'm pretty darn close to being symptom free - but there's been no correlating improvement regarding the sinusitis. Maybe these things take time.
I also have dandruff btw. Both, from very low carb I reckon.

Does anyone have a good suggestion against dandruff? Perhaps rubbing some kefir on my head? ;-) (only half kidding here, that might actually work since kefir contains l. plantarum, which is a key species to treat eczema. Both dandruff and eczema are a form of seborheicc dermatitis, I believe).

Seborrheic dermatitis can be a symptom of B2 deficiency.

anne_likes_red

I'm away from home at the moment and many, many miles from my RS stash :) but I thought I'd update anyway...

I haven't used any RS for 13 days now, (or any probiotics for more than a week) and I'm continuing to have the lower body lymph swelling/burning. I ran a temperature on and off for the best part of 3 weeks, and had a very sore throat on and off but that's stopped now. It's early autumn here and everyone around me is well. Apart from the lymph I'm now feeling very well, and I wish I could back to the RS but feel I should maybe hold off a bit longer.

FWIW, last week a nurse friend suggested my symptoms were similar to what she'd seen with systemic toxo gondii infection. I have congenital toxoplasmosis (a flare up of which at adolescence kicked off my ME) but I have had no symptoms of an infection (and titre has remained stable) since 1999. I don't know if protozoal infection is playing any part in my response to RS or not, but so far I don't seem to be having the more typical reaction of gas/sulfur ==> gradual improved tolerance..
@Vegas you mentioned the lymph symptoms, and protozoa back there too....I'm curious as to whether you've had toxo gondii exposure in the past? :) Anne.