• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
@Sasha, I'm wondering if you've ever tried HCL capsules?

Since I don't want to hijack this thread away from its main topic of resistant starch, if you have any comment on HCL capsules, there's an entire thread about HCL at the following link: (I think you may have even posted on it once)
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...test-with-bicarb-epic-fail.36254/#post-573225

Hi South - I haven't - I ordered some and they're in the cupboard but I think my reflux is starting to resolve so I'm holding off. I think if I've still got problems in a few weeks I'll try to get some testing done. I'm reluctant to muck about with such a complex system!

I tried Norm Robillard's Fast Tract diet and it made me worse - I've just come off it and feel immediately much better! And I tried d-limonene briefly and felt like death. It's all making me reluctant to experiment too much, especially if there's a chance that this will resolve on its own (which my GP thinks it might).

Thanks for asking, though!

Gingergrrl

@Gingergrrl - I'm afraid I don't know anything about other pre/probiotics - I hope others might have some comments on what you're taking.

@Sasha No worries and I am thinking no one has had a chance to look at my probiotics that I posted or else that maybe they are okay? I don't want to switch to Prescript Assist or the other ones mentioned without some feedback as I would just be guessing.

Every time I come back to this thread there are a million new pages to read and I find it too overwhelming to follow (although I do try!) I will not try the potato starch thing until after the SIBO test since my GI issues are actually better at the moment and no new histamine reactions (but I am avoiding ALL food dyes like the plague.)

Maybe I will start a thread on the main board to inquire about my probiotics so more people will see it? Not sure how to proceed?!

jepps

These are the probiotics & enzymes that I currently take:

1) Kimiabiotics by Kimialogic (it is a product created by the former GI doctor that I saw)

2) Vegetarian Digestive Enzymes also by Kimialogic

3) Ultra Flora Acute Care by Metagenics

I take a similar product for digestive enzymes (DGT from theramedix), and do well with it.
If you have very strong SIBO, for probiotics only prescript assist, saccharomyces boulardii are recommended.
If you want to be on the safe side, you could start with these probiotics and with fibres, but except inulin+oligofructose (FODMAP´s) and raw PS.
Both probiotics are good choices, but not cheap, there are cheaper probiotics with larger quantities and more strains.

I also had SIBO-symptoms (potbelly, ruflux etc.), but with a mix of a ratio of 1/4 potato starch and 3/4 fibres, saccharomyces boulardii, prescript assist and a 10-strain-probiotic I had success, and I got better.

I read the whole thread 2 times, I copied the most important posts in word (if you interested, I can send it to you, but it´s also very long, as so many posts are important). I found, that I had benefit not only to know, what kind of fibres are possible, but there is so much knowledge about immunity and philosophy in general, that helped me very much.

I wish you much success with starting! jepps

Ooops, still struggling with quoting things on my iPhone...

@Sasha, you probably know about this, but I am bringing it up anyway: have you tried to sleep with your head/upper body elevated a bit? That can do wonders for acid reflux (gravity). You can either put your entire bed at an angle by putting some two by fours under the bed posts where your head is or you can try to just elevate your upper body with pillows or a foam insert under the mattress. I have an adjustable bed and found it to be helpful.

@jepps, I am having bone broth from beef/veal bones (mostly knuckles, some marrow bones) almost every day. Also eat plenty of coconut oil, avocadoes, macademias, etc. Ghee is out at the moment as I am experimenting with a dairy free diet and am worried about cross-contamination. My weight seems to have stabilized for now, though. Yay!

I am also contemplating re-reading the entire thread, but decided I needed to learn a bit more about immunology and biochemistry. Found a good immunology course on edx.org. It's not currently active, but one can access all the materials such as study guides, the lecture videos, quizzes and tests. Not sure how long my brain will let me do this, but the first three weeks alone were really helpful.

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

@jepps

If you have very strong SIBO, for probiotics only prescript assist, saccharomyces boulardii are recommended.

I am not actually sure if I have SIBO and was negative when I tested for it in March 2014 but am going to re-test it at OMI at the end of June to find out for sure. My husband just ordered some new probiotics for both of us from what he learned in this thread and I think they are Prescript Assist and AOR. I may be getting the names wrong and they should arrive tomorrow.

If you want to be on the safe side, you could start with these probiotics and with fibres, but except inulin+oligofructose (FODMAP´s) and raw PS.

I am not actually sure what all of this means b/c I have not read most of this thread myself. I wish I knew all the terms like you guys do!

I read the whole thread 2 times, I copied the most important posts in word (if you interested, I can send it to you, but it´s also very long, as so many posts are important). I found, that I had benefit not only to know, what kind of fibres are possible, but there is so much knowledge about immunity and philosophy in general, that helped me very much.

Do you mean that you copied and defined the most important terms? If so, I would love a copy of it!

I wish you much success with starting!

Thank you and I will be starting the new probiotics but not the RS until after my SIBO test. If the test is negative in June, then I will be asking you guys a lot more questions. Actually if the test is positive, then I will REALLY be asking you guys some questions b/c I have no intention of taking an antibiotic which I am afraid will be the recommendation.

jepps

@jepps, I am having bone broth from beef/veal bones (mostly knuckles, some marrow bones) almost every day. Also eat plenty of coconut oil, avocadoes, macademias, etc. Ghee is out at the moment as I am experimenting with a dairy free diet and am worried about cross-contamination. My weight seems to have stabilized for now, though. Yay!.

:):thumbsup::balloons:

I am also contemplating re-reading the entire thread, but decided I needed to learn a bit more about immunology and biochemistry. Found a good immunology course on edx.org. It's not currently active, but one can access all the materials such as study guides, the lecture videos, quizzes and tests. Not sure how long my brain will let me do this, but the first three weeks alone were really helpful.

@sleepingbeauty after reading and rereading the thread I decided to try to build up the immune system only with measures, that support the gut flora, and not with measures that kill anything, either bad or good, never mind, how long it takes. I learned, that a better gut immunity takes the won competence to confront with chronic infections, till such time as the equilibrium in the gut is found.
This fits very well with the experiences, I (and also other friends) make up to now: first reactions are inflammation, that last several weeks. Then everything is better, wow. Then there could be a phase, where everything gets worse again, and these ups and downs go on and on, but in summary the condition (energy, mind, brain, digestion...) goes uphill.

anne_likes_red

... I decided to try to build up the immune system only with measures, that support the gut flora, and not with measures that kill anything, either bad or good, never mind, how long it takes. I learned, that a better gut immunity takes the won competence to confront with chronic infections, till such time as the equilibrium in the gut is found.
:thumbsup:
(Carpet bombing approaches may backfire!)

I have a few ?s about your SIBO approach. Will PM you though.
(Or we could shift conversation to a SIBO specific thread?...There may be interest from people too intimidated - by the size of it! - to enter this thread.)

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Ooops, still struggling with quoting things on my iPhone...

@Sasha, you probably know about this, but I am bringing it up anyway: have you tried to sleep with your head/upper body elevated a bit? That can do wonders for acid reflux (gravity). You can either put your entire bed at an angle by putting some two by fours under the bed posts where your head is or you can try to just elevate your upper body with pillows or a foam insert under the mattress. I have an adjustable bed and found it to be helpful.

Hi Sleeping Beauty - thanks, yes, I got one of those triangular reflux pillows and that certainly helped me at night. I've just had my first night's sleep without it. :)

On the mend, I think. My GP says that people can have a one-off attack that takes a while to recover from (faster with antacids because it helps heal the gullet) and I'm hoping that's all this was. Ironically, I think I made it worse by trying to fix it (with the rice on the 'Fast Tract' diet).

Fingers crossed it will be completely behind me in a week or two.

adreno

PR activist
Not sure if this has been posted before:

A study establishes new connections between gut microbiota and autoimmune diseases

Results published in the October issue of mBIO magazine showed an imbalance in the ratio of the two largest groups of microorganisms in the human gut (Firmicutes and Bacteroidetes) in favour of Bacteriodetes, while the overall bacterial load and diversity was similar between patients and controls. “Previous evidence suggests that gut microbiota might impact symptoms and progression of some autoimmune diseases. However, this had not been studied in SLE patients using massive sequencing techniques. The intestinal dysbiosis described in this work allows us to consider the microbiota as a new target to point to attack SLE symptoms”, the coordinator of the study, Abelardo Margolles, a CSIC researcher at the Instituto de Productos Lácteos of Asturias, explained to Gut Microbiota Worldwatch.
http://www.gutmicrobiotawatch.org/2...tween-gut-microbiota-and-autoimmune-diseases/

Clostridia are firmicutes, and feed on resistant starch.

Sidereal

These are the probiotics & enzymes that I currently take:

1) Kimiabiotics by Kimialogic (it is a product created by the former GI doctor that I saw)

2) Vegetarian Digestive Enzymes also by Kimialogic

3) Ultra Flora Acute Care by Metagenics

https://www.kimialogic.com/
http://www.metagenics.com/mp/products/ultraflora-acute-care

Do these seem like okay products? I suspect the Metagenics is good but am now questioning the other ones. I still plan to go back through the last two pages of this thread and post some questions from me & my husband but don't have time right now.

Virtually all probiotics on the market including these are nothing more than a combination of the same dozen or so strains of lactobacilli and bifidobacteria that have been commercially available for ages. The only substantive difference between them is the brand name and price. What they all have in common is that they don't work for ME/CFS and sometimes make symptoms worse thanks to more lactate.

The probiotics often discussed on this thread, Prescript Assist, AOR3 and Miyarisan, are significantly different from all those other products in that they contain soil-based organisms. Some people have done well on these, others haven't.

Needless to say, the vast number of species that live in our guts and that those who are ill with various chronic conditions may be missing are not commercially available which is why fecal transplants are becoming increasingly used and researched.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Needless to say, the vast number of species that live in our guts and that those who are ill with various chronic conditions may be missing are not commercially available which is why fecal transplants are becoming increasingly used and researched.

Would you take a faecal transplant if one was on offer?

Sidereal

Would you take a faecal transplant if one was on offer?

If a full complement of bacteria derived from healthy human controls screened for pathogens became available in pill form, I probably would. I think FMT as it is practised right now is of little to no use in chronic disease because from what I see if you get it done just once or twice people tend to feel better for a while and then relapse once the pathogenic microbiota reestablishes itself.