• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Onset Poll

My Kind of Onset Was

• Acute infectious onset (flu-like symptoms) out of the blue - no significant stress otherwise - I wa

Votes: 97 27.5%
  • Acute infectious onset (flu-like symptoms) while I was experiencing a period of increased stress or

Votes: 110 31.2%
  • Gradual infectious onset (flu-like symptoms): I experienced a series of infectious events that dragg

Votes: 47 13.3%
  • Acute non-infectious onset (no colds, no flu-like symptoms) following a stressful event (eg acciden

Votes: 21 5.9%
  • Acute non-infectious onset (no colds, no flu-like symptoms) out of the blue

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • Gradual onset out of the blue during a period when I was feeling fine

Votes: 32 9.1%
  • Gradual onset during a period of increased stress

Votes: 37 10.5%

• Total voters

manna

of course you're right about the no anti-biotics for a virus...duh moment, i actually knew that, honest! thanks for correction. Though I'd guess folks with a virus maybe prescribed them all the same, as you might be implying. Question then is, I wonder how many folks were pre-scribed anti-biotics prior to onset and that triggered the illness rather than what they were prescribed for.

id agree too that vaccines can trigger environmental illnesses.

Last edited:

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Was it the flu or the treatment taken to combat it that triggered illness?
I've certainly asked myself that. I took an antibiotic, despite my bad history with them, because I was not able to take time off from work at that time and did not think I would make it otherwise.

I am prone to rebound infections after taking antibiotics. I got the Mother of All Rebound Infections after that one. Fortunately I was past my work deadline, because I was barely able to walk across the house. Actually, the second time I planned to (to get to the phone), I just couldn't make it off of the sofa and fell asleep/passed out until my landlady came home from work. I don't even remember how many days of work I missed. Those first several days are completely lost in the fog.

I wonder if I would have recovered if I hadn't got the antibiotic rebound infection.

manna

I wonder if I would have recovered if I hadn't got the antibiotic rebound infection.

Hi, this is what I'm getting at. I've heard, more times than I can count, about people who got ill following a virus/infection etc but the question of teatment/meds taken at the time of this onset is never taken into account. anti-biotics, along with steroid meds and the birth control pill, are all top of the list, as prime causes, on the candida questionairres that i have encountered.

rebound infections occur, imo, because antibiotics make you highly acidic, thus killing microbes, but mild acidity, which microbes love and thrive in, is what's left when hyper-acidity, caused by the anti-biotics, leaves the system. its highly possible that the mildly acidic environment loved by microbes, may not have occurred if there had been no anti-biotic intervention.

Last edited:
Hi Cort,

I had a mild version of the symptoms all my life, but after an Epstein-Barr infection ...
Little_bird, in what way did the symptoms show until you catched the EBV? It retrospective, after having been diagnosed with ME/CFS, I realized I've been intolerant to physical strain at least since my teens. Trying to keep up with my friends in the running track often triggered the breakout of (latent i guess) respiratory infections, fever, diarrhea, body ache and impaired cognitive capabilities (like studying).