• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The 3 Ps A Closer Look at the Middle One

Freddd

Hi Rich and Freddd - thank you both for your kind comments! Ill add a couple of notes now:

Rich Yes indeed, the low lectin diet is gluten-free, though in my studies so far I have seen a couple of references which tentatively suggest that gluten intolerance is due to the lectin content rather than the gluten per se.

Freddd Yes, Id thought of doing a full write up, but I think all the nitty-gritty is probably on this thread already. The only thing Ive not included is references. What would you like to see?

Curly has just survived a hectic weekend with a boozy birthday on Saturday and friends over for tea on Sunday. No repercussions. Her view though is that this is just a good patch and that she still has CFS. I couldnt (and didnt!) argue with that, as I really dont know. Im still a baby at this sort of stuff although I approached the problem much as I would have the thousands of jobs Ive had to do in my career. For instance, if a bogie collapses under a railway carriage and dumps everyone into the scenery, it will probably take out the carriage suspension, the load-weigh attachments, the brake pneumatics and electrics and the traction motor power supply. Its no good fixing any of the latter if the problem is still with the bogie structure, which collapsed through fatigue (sound familiar?). Drawing a parallel with living bodies, I equated the fatigue fracture to the toxic load at the time of precipitation. So my effort to reduce toxic load was the equivalent of repairing the crack in the bogie, to return it to (nearly) as-new. Unlike trains, however, bodies have the ability to repair their own pneumatics etc. Far-fetched, oh yes, but worth a shot!

And so to lectins, still an embryonic study, it seems. Here are some introductory links:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/lectins/#axzz1gcpLqSfm

http://www.health-insight.co.uk/fatiguecfs.asp

http://holistichealingandcfs.wordpress.com/2011/09/30/

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/archive/index.php/t-3852.html

http://failsafediet.wordpress.com/a...s-in-food/essential-sugars-and-plant-lectins/

Might these move the show a little further forward, I wonder?

Stressman.

Hi Stressman,

These deficiencies cause up to 600 processes to shut down. If they stay shut down, damage happens causing cascading failures. I found it took a year after almost everything was in place to have most healing done. I still have some problems with folate that appear to resolving now.

600 - ouch. I in my blissful ignorance knew about three of them, and concentrated on only one. I keep warning Curly not to push it, I always bear in mind your warning earlier in this thread. Thanks again!

stressman.

Freddd

@ Freddd,

Do you time the 3200 mcg perfectly 30 minutes or a particular time before a meal? This is tough for me, so I often do 1800-3200 mcg sublingual Solgar Metafolin RIGHT BEFORE the meal. Is this possibly going to be effective? I like whole wheat---all wheat, but going to do mostly avoidance for now, as the raging IBS is so annoying.

May get improved gut results with Vasoactive Intestinal Polypeptide, but need to stabilize the neuropathy symptoms, or really nail down that folic/folinic issue before I add that in, I think.

Hi Rosebud,

I have run the trials a lot of different ways, keeping the total dose the same for each series and changing only the timing. The most important factor so far is competing at absorbtion time to keep the folinic from getting in, or at least severely limiting it. It appears that optimum so far is 3200mcg with the meal and that can be improved slightly by another 800 from 30 minutes to 5 minutes before starting to eat. I also take 1600mcg with each injection, wakeup, late afternoon and bedtime but I know that just that kind of timing regardless of dose doesn't work if I don't have at least 3200mcg competing in the meal. I intend to see if even more with meal works better. So far I have tested 800, 1600, 2400 and 3200mcg with the meal and the 3200mcg with meal is giving me the best results so far. I am perhaps within a few days to a week for the complete healing of the sores for only the second time in memory. I have a lot of scaring that is visible. My total dose on this series is 12,800mcg. Once they are completely healed I will drop the non meal doses 1 tablet a day worth at a time perhaps once each 2 weeks and see if the healing is maintained.

Rosebud Dairy

Actually, I am trying what you are doing, freddd, with the 3200 mcg. It is easier with managing children, who have been sick, and I have been giving them 1800 before meals until my fresh order comes in.

Do you just take straight oral dose or do any for sublingual absorption? The kids like to do sublingual on the methylfolate, and the solgar works well for this.

Doc wants the kids on this too....very exciting!! As always, we won't forget the potassium

All - One thing I didn't mention is that Curly is a fan for life of the Se, which she regards as the 'All-Conquering Hero' of the piece. By contrast, her opinion of the ALA is that it 'did nothing'. I don't believe the latter is true of course, as the ALA works very much behind the scenes.

stressman.

Kas

I love to come and read my Dad's thoughts and findings on ME once in a while. The selenium is wonderful (well, helpful) and having run out of ALA I have definitely noticed that I am looking and feeling a bit droopy. I would like to add, however, and I'm not sure Stressman (hi Dad!) had thought of this as a possible therapeutic supplement, but one that has helped me immensely is a fairly high dose of GABA daily, at 1,500mg. We had discovered GABA quite some time ago as a mood stabiliser during tough winters, but it has been one of the most useful supplements I have found for stabilising fatigue (and all of the lovely etcetera that comes with it).

Has anyone else tried this and had any success?

Kas

Yes, from two years ago. I'm very proud of him. :)

Glad to hear others are having success with GABA. I theorise that because it has calming effects it helps the body to feel more rested, hence assisting with the fatigue.

Johnmac

@stressman, there's been more work on lectins since your 2012 post (tho not many mentions here).

Did Curly continue to do well from a low lectin diet?

Any further observations?

Right, finally caught my breath for a second! A brief report on Curly and Kass, and an equally brief summary of what I've been doing and why. Finally, a newly unearthed evil waiting in the wings.

Kass has been completely in the clear for a good few months now, despite another bout of flu around Christmas, caught from her 'disease carrying vermin' (my beloved grandchildren...). The big one seemed to be the addition of the P5P B6 and the 10 000 g Source Naturals B12.

On Curly, something wondrous appears to have happened over the last ten days or so. Her body has switched back to what appears to be full aerobic operation. Rumours that she heard the click as it kicked back in are apocryphal. After the new year she lost nearly two pounds per day for a few days, which has stabilised out at around two pounds per week now. Her famous 'three hills' (early this thread) she climbs once every two or three days. I've been up that hill, it nearly killed me. She's breathing deeply, indicating that oxygen is being both demanded and delivered to its proper places. She's returned to both weight training and her cross trainer, and her heart, which previously refused to go over 110 bpm now reaches a healthy 140 bpm. No trace of lactic acid, no sofa, no repercussions. She feels 'absolutely great', '...really feel myself again for the first time in years!'.

Wow... Could this be the Big One, I wonder? Early days yet. I keep feeding her Freddd's caveat of course (this thread) but she knows her own body intimately. Of the two of us, she is the Team Leader and I but the anxious advisor. All her physical symptoms, guts, the need for antihistamines for eczema and many other autoimmune conditions etc are all cleared up. She is also building muscle again, and feels that the mitos are functioning normally now. Oi, offspring, I'm a creaky old hippy and this is all a bit much, you know!

A brief recap on Curly's protocol. I settled on Se for toxic metals, especially Hg, and ALA to scavenge more general toxins. As we recall, Hg and Se form a more or less inseparable bond to form the harmless compound HgSe. Thus with the ALA, despite its plasma half-life of only half an hour, I had no hesitation in giving one 600 mg dose per day. The Se would scavenge any Hg stirred up by the ALA, and the general view of sports medics is that, whilst ALA disappears from the plasma after three hours, that's because it's tucked itself away in the cells (including brain), its further wonders to perform. I dropped the idea of NAC and MSM fairly early on for reasons known to many. My idea was to return the body to a toxic state much cleaner than when the middle P, precipitation occurred. With the hope that this would give the body a chance to click back to the the healthy side of the bistability again.

And so to the new villain of the plot. Lectins. Nasty poisons. Very nasty, the worst of which are found in 'healthy' whole grains, would you believe? There's only one thread on them on this forum, archived. I'll say no more. Google them.

It was a low lectin diet that Curly embarked upon in the new year, not coincidence I feel. Oh and she thinks she's in ketosis (not tested yet) which means that her GNG metabolism has also turned on, perhaps for the first time ever.

Someone please tell me, am I dreaming?

Very best wishes to all you lovely people,

stressman.