• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Taking B1 (thiamine) resolves GI problems - extreme nausea, sickness, low appetite and pain

Sophiedw

I figure I should write to this forum whenever something helps a certain symptom, as I have spent much time myself searching these forums for ideas to resolve symptoms.

Taking b12, too much vitamin k (mk4) ( when I was very sick), folate, TMG, ALA and possibly some other things have lead to extreme pain throughout my digestive tract where I can't walk and feel like I have ulcers. So I've basically noticed that anything that drives the methylation cycle + vitamin K deplete vitamin b1 and the manifestation of this is GI distress.

Before the pain comes a general feeling of no appetite and nausea. The nausea progresses into vomiting and then if i take too much more of the supplements mentioned turns into extreme pain that takes several days of thiamine to resolve.

It's a completely robust cure of this particular symptom for me which I guess means the supplements mentioned (and probably many other ones) deplete thaimine and this can be the cause of the GI symptoms mentioned.

I hope this helps some people and also here's a case study to back it up.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4175961/

drmullin30

Taking b12, too much vitamin k (mk4) ( when I was very sick), folate, TMG, ALA and possibly some other things have lead to extreme pain throughout my digestive tract where I can't walk and feel like I have ulcers. So I've basically noticed that anything that drives the methylation cycle + vitamin K deplete vitamin b1 and the manifestation of this is GI distress.

Thiamine (B1) helps to raise sodium and retain sodium and with vitamin E helps prevent sodium deficiency which can cause nausea and some of the other symptoms you list.

Low sodium is horrible for the digestive track as you can't make any digestive enzymes or hydrochloric acid. High dose folate, b12 ALA etc. can deplete sodium. I've had sodium deficiency on and off for the last few months due to Fredd's protocol and oxalate dumping.

Are you getting enough sodium and chloride? Other sodium deficiency symptoms from acu-cell.com: https://acu-cell.com/pna.html

Low Sodium: Fatigue, depression, mental apathy, anxiety, panic attacks, low blood pressure, headaches, dehydration, confusion, dizziness, arthritis, kidney stones, seizures, In some cases: greater risk for LDL-related heart disease, high blood pressure, or edema.

Sophiedw

Thiamine (B1) helps to raise sodium and retain sodium and with vitamin E helps prevent sodium deficiency which can cause nausea and some of the other symptoms you list.

Low sodium is horrible for the digestive track as you can't make any digestive enzymes or hydrochloric acid. High dose folate, b12 ALA etc. can deplete sodium. I've had sodium deficiency on and off for the last few months due to Fredd's protocol and oxalate dumping.

Are you getting enough sodium and chloride? Other sodium deficiency symptoms from acu-cell.com: https://acu-cell.com/pna.html

Low Sodium: Fatigue, depression, mental apathy, anxiety, panic attacks, low blood pressure, headaches, dehydration, confusion, dizziness, arthritis, kidney stones, seizures, In some cases: greater risk for LDL-related heart disease, high blood pressure, or edema.

Interesting! I’ll be sure to give it a try and report back if I notice any changes. Thanks.

Sophiedw

Also I found that boron works for the same symptom, I no longer this symptom of I keep my boron and b1 levels up :) I also read a paper about boron complexing with vitamin b1 and b6 so perhaps it acts to keep vitamin b1 in place.

godlovesatrier

Yes can definitely induce neuropathy. I know a few who've had that experience. For me though 300mg a day of thiamine hcl is brilliant. Blocks my PEM by about 80% and I have loads more energy subsequently. Still got swelling in my lymphatics but still working on that. It seems to help with a lot of things. Glad it helped you.

P5P is another good one for enzymatic processes, as it's used for loads of them.

Sophiedw

This is still the case :) boron actually turned out to be the key but maybe that’s coz it’s easier to deplete with other minerals - I.e. if my boron is at all low I will know coz taking copper or zinc makes me vomit, which if I allowed continuing depletion of boron by b12 methylation blah would turn into that horrible gastroparesis. If my boron is replete copper and zinc don’t hurt my stomach. Weird right! But definitely always the case.