• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Supporting B2 to R5P conversion?

xena

Hi all, I seen to be a poor convertor to active r5p. The supplement form of r5p irritates my guts, both brands I tried.

However, I seem to need more active b2 to avoid overmethylation. (Helps to drive mthfr and store glycine appropriately and buffer methyl donors, I think.)

Any ideas on how to support b2 activation?

xena

Well, I just discovered niacin is probably necessary.

Will try it and report back!

xena

truth be told, i don't know. i got really anxious from sulfite overproduction from the extra betaine i was consuming. i dropped my dose of b2 and didn't take it for several days. niacin did not prevent me from needing the extra b2 for sure. i don't know if its helping to activate the b2 yet.

as an aside, a big dose - 100 mg of zinc picolinate- seems to really help my energy. along with scram- an antiparasitic.

truth be told, i don't know. i got really anxious from sulfite overproduction from the extra betaine i was consuming. i dropped my dose of b2 and didn't take it for several days. niacin did not prevent me from needing the extra b2 for sure. i don't know if its helping to activate the b2 yet.

as an aside, a big dose - 100 mg of zinc picolinate- seems to really help my energy. along with scram- an antiparasitic.
Why dont you try the active form r5p

Kadar

@xena selenium, iodine and molybdenum if I remember correctly do that. Somebody on this forum mentioned it earlier

xena

@xena selenium, iodine and molybdenum if I remember correctly do that. Somebody on this forum mentioned it earlier
thanks so much! i started taking those for an unrelated reason and believe I'm seeing some positive shifts. not clear if with the methylation issue but its definitely improved my appetite.

xena

i am finding this sulfite issue only occurs in the context of inflammation. lately, gaba seems to calm this inflammation. i am able to tolerate way more r5p without these issues. i am so glad. posting in case this helps someone.

xena

I still have the Sulfite issue when consuming seed oils :/

Considering how to decrease inflammation and downregulate cbs...

Vitamin D? Prebiotic? Testosterone as mentioned by another member

"Maybe that is a problem if you don't have enough testosterone (via DHEA) to regulate CBS, but that is how I regulate my CBS. I guess it could be interesting to test."

xena

I found that taking folate reduces or eliminates the sulfite issue. I think it might be helping bh4 cycle. I pop a few methylfolate and it makes it much better!!!!

I also found that butyrate significantly increases my need for methyl donors. I think it is probably working in the same way in reducing inflammation. It was actually "too much" and I had to stop...I couldn't supply as much methyl donor as I needed.

I've since recently found that betaine hcl is a much more potent methyl donor for me than the creatine. I don't know why. This is handy since I'm attempting to take more supplemental niacin so I'm really needing to shore up my methyl donor pool.