• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Superficial sleep as a side effect of CBD oil

From time to time I take CBD oil, which improves my mental state. But because of this, my nighttime sleep worsens: it is difficult to fall asleep, and sleep becomes shallow. Has anyone managed to eliminate this side effect with any medicine?

Howard

suffering ceases when craving is removed
Drinking at least 4 oz of tart cherry juice at least 2 hours before bedtime greatly improved my sleep efficiency and quality.

Please note, I was using three parts CBD oil to one part THC via vaping, as well.

Prior to my starting this ritual during April of 2018, I hadn't had any restful sleep for over seven years, excepting perhaps a dozen random occasions, and I never once slept straight through the night... nor had I been able to take a nap during the daylight hours.

So the first 90 days using this combination, I slept straight through the night approximately 25 times, while also feeling rested and far less fatigued every single night I was able to put together at least 6 hours of total sleep.

Since January, I had to temporarily give up on both items. Even so, my sleep is now far better overall and I mostly wake up feeling refreshed most of the time.

Also, I believe the tart cherry juice has had a more positive impact overall. As I vaguely understand it, the cherry juice encourages the production or utilization of tryptophan or serotonin (I don't recall which).

Yes, I have a mental block. :)

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Has anyone managed to eliminate this side effect with any medicine?
Sleep spesialist Matthew Walker has mentioned that cannabis is blocking REM-sleep.

I sometimes use a THC/CBD spray (50:50 ratio) to deepen my sleep. It's only when I use a mix with THC that I get deeper sleep, but it's dreamless. Adding a little melatonin helps me to dream again along with the deeper sleep so I assume the melatonin is increasing my REM sleep stage(s).

@PatJ, what form of melatonin do you take? Do you feel sleepy the next morning because of it? Is tolerance developing over time?

Last edited:

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
what form of melatonin do you take? Do you feel sleepy the next morning because of it? Is tolerance developing over time?

I've tried two kinds of melatonin: one is Natrol long acting, the other is a liquid. Only the long acting keeps me asleep reasonably well if I take it by itself, so if I use the liquid then I also need to take either the THC/CBD mix, or Dr. Christopher's Relax-eze. They both complement the melatonin and lead to a better night of sleep. I also take LDN every night so that helps as well.

I have sometimes felt a little groggy in the morning from the melatonin, but not usually. I think it has happened at the times when I forgot to shake the bottle of liquid melatonin before filling the dropper.

I try to rotate my sleep supplements to avoid a tolerance developing. But, I've also taken melatonin for long periods in the past and don't remember a tolerance developing.