• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Study about infection-triggered autoimmune disease, Multiple Sclerosis, EBV and Theiler’s murine encephalomyelitis virus

Annikki

My grandmother had MS that started in what must have been the early 1930s. They didn't have much medication options back then. Her legs were numb and she could not walk. She was a proud woman and didn't want anyone to know she was in a wheel chair. She was determined to overcome it. She was able to get some kind of experimental treatment in Boston. They attached electrodes to her legs. I kid you not. She went regularly for treatment. She told a story of how she was at an appointment and she was able to stand and walk. She looked out the window of the doctor's office and there was a phone booth on the street corner. She told the doctor she wanted to go down to the phone and call her husband, my grandfather. Supposedly the doctor let her do this or went down with her and she called him and told him she had walked! When I was born 30 years later, she was active. She could walk and play golf. She said her legs felt like pins and needles at all times but she could use them. I don't know why that electrode treatment never got further study. My grandmother went on to live until age 103!
They still do this now, except now it's called, "neuromodulation." Now they use an implanted device called an "Interstim device" to generate constant neuromodulation. There is an externally worn version of it called a "TENS unit." I have one. I can see how electric current could fix MS, since electric stimulation has an affect on the nervous system and therefore, has an effect on neurological disease.

I think EBV may be the overwhelming culprit in almost all cases, if not the cause it is at least a critical step in the forming of autoimmunity.

The good news for MS, most people can put it into remission with AZT. I posted this in another thread:
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/multiple-sclerosis-zidovudine-azt-epstein-barr-virus.79672/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2211034818300828
"A few days after starting Combivir (Zidovudine/Lamivudine), she noticed dramatic improvement in fatigue. After two months, she had gradual improvement in numbness and pain in her arms and legs. Her neurologic exam on March 24, 2015 (11 weeks after starting Combivir) was normal. After nine months, she had minimal numbness in her feet, only noticeable after walking for long stretches. She could go jogging for the first time in years."

Watch at 23:40. Dual-viral hypothesis.

Something to consider.

Annikki

No, I'd never heard of a pangolin, either. The photo almost looks like a huge pine cone, the scales are so precisely affixed. I wish people would stop eating delicacies that are in effect, wildlife. Exactly how much meat can one get off a bat for heaven's sake? It's true that we have to respect other cultures, but when the world's safety is in effect, isn't it time to think another way? I don't know...I have mixed feelings about that. Those folks may consider a plum pudding rather disgusting...I know I do and so does everyone in our family. My poor mother used to take 2 days, grind her own suet and make those puddings....and every single one of us hated them! Sorry, memory breakthrough there. Have you ever had a British christmas or wedding cake? Those things are like fruitcakes and let me tell you, they last forever. Yuck!

Most flus and viruses jump from the animal to the human population. This is something that we have to live with...but why has there been so much more of it in the past few years.

I think the Chinese people are less to blame for the pangolin problem, than the wildlife traffickers getting rich from capturing and trafficking pangolins and other animals. I read that the Chinese public is so poor and so in need of food, they need the wet markets to feed themselves. A news article explained that the Chinese are under pressure now to close wet markets. The problem is that the Chinese public is so poor, they need this cheap bush meat to fill their stomachs. It's a controversial issue.

IMHO, it's less the demand from the Chinese public for pangolin scales feeding the problem, than the international criminal syndicates who capture and sell pangolins and other endangered species .There is tremendous profit to be had in the illegal wildlife trade. Those criminals aren't poor like the Chinese public, they get to live the good life from stealing animals and selling them.

These illegal wildlife trade syndicates are the same people who kill elephants for tusks and rhinos for horns. They exploit the ignorance of the impoverished, oppressed Chinese public. The Sumatran rhino is now on the precipice of being officially extinct- there is only one female left alive. The illegal wildlife trade is behind this and other impending extinctions. As usual, the greedy among us are the true drivers of most social problems.

The Chinese public is less at fault. The Chinese populace is poor and will eat what they can get to eat, pangolins included. It's the people who traffick these animals who are the only ones getting rich. Now they go to Africa to harvest these profitable animals, since they've exhausted pangolin populations in Asia.

I watched a documentary on the pangolin trade, which explains the pangolin problem:

borko2100

Even though wikipedia defines molecular mimicry as only a 'theoretical possibility':
Molecular mimicry is defined as the theoretical possibility that sequence similarities between foreign and self-peptides are sufficient to result in the cross-activation of autoreactive T or B cells by pathogen-derived peptides.

There is mounting evidence that molecular mimicry does in fact occur. According to the latest research, the disease Narcolepsy is often triggered after an influenza infection, leading to lasting autoimmunity to certain brain neurons. This is a result of the molecular similarity of some influenza strains and those neurons. Prior to these findings the cause of Narcolepsy was mostly a mystery. [source: https://www.pnas.org/content/115/52/E12323.short]

Only time will tell how many other, currently unexplained, diseases come into being trough this mechanism.

Last edited:

Annikki

I think EBV may be the overwhelming culprit in almost all cases, if not the cause it is at least a critical step in the forming of autoimmunity.
I agree fully with you. EBV has even been also discovered to play a huge role in interstitial cystitis, an autoimmune condition of the bladder. It keeps popping up in all sorts of diverse autoimmune diseases. It was dismissed as the cause of CFS, but it clearly plays a role in the disease. Many CFS patients have EBV infections. This fact isn't disputed. I think understanding the precise role of EBV in all autoimmune disease and what may or may not activate this virus is critical to solving the autoimmune mystery.

wastwater

When studying MS and using the Lewis rat what is the important part the rats genetics or the thing used to kickstart the reaction

lenora

@wastwater, @Annikki,@borko2100........Yes, I've thought about both sides of the Pangolin problem and when people are starving they turn to whatever they can. People with money who are selfish will do anything to get what they want. How can they ever be stopped when they probably pay everyone along the way off? ?

I wanted to ask if any one of you has heard anything about our blood types and if they're implicated in ME. Do some people with say type B, suffer more than those with type A, or has this not been studied yet? I'd be interested in finding out what the percentages in each category are. Just in case any of you have seen these results, or know if they're coming up for study. Yours, Lenora.

YippeeKi YOW !!

I wanted to ask if any one of you has heard anything about our blood types and if they're implicated in ME
Here's what I remember froman article I read, and then lost, about 3-4 days ago:

• Type O's are least likely to get ME COVID-19
  • Type A's are the most susceptible .... bummer, I'm A-positive
  • I don't think there was info about type AB or B .... EDIT: Which doesn;t really matter, cause I would probably have gotten that wrong, too ...
EDITED .... for usual tedious typos, none of them amusing .... then I had to edit the EDIT for two typos in that .... oh crap, and agin for a typo in the edit of the EDIT .... I'm quitting now, any additional others will just have to lump it ...

Last edited:

ljimbo423

Here's what I remember froman article I read, and then lost, about 3-4 days ago:
  • Type O's are least likely to get ME
  • I don't think there was infor about type AB or B ....

I'm A-Negative. Do you know what percentage of people are A positive?

EDIT-If I remember right, I think only 7 out of 100 people are A negative.

YippeeKi YOW !!

• Type O's are least likely to get ME
  • I don't think there was infor about type AB or B ....

OH CRAP-A-DOODLE-DAMN !!!

I'm having a very brain-challenged day. I didn;t realize how challenged til I was tagged back to this thread by @Heartl, and realized to my very very extremely bottomlessly deep chagrin that .... and here comes the really embarrassing part, so of course, it has to be in HUGE letters to assuage my sense of guilt ....

THE INFO I POSTED RE: BLOOD TYPES AND M.E, WAS REALLY FOR BLOOD TYPES AND COVID-19 ....

Please don't hurt me :nervous::nervous::nervous: .....