• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Starting Raltegravir

jimbob

ME/CFS84-XMRV+
Received my first shipment of Ral today, enough for 3 months with 3 refills to follow. Starting at midnight with first pill. If it does anything, i'll post. Im not able to get on computer as much as i'd like, but i'll make sure to update as much as possible. Here's hoping!

Hi jimbob,

I want to try Raltegravir. Where did you get it? You must have a very cooperative doctor.

Thanks for any information.

vdt

omerbasket

Good luck jimbob. I'm not a doctor nor a scientist, but I do want to say to you, that I think you shouldn't expect a quick improvement (it would probably take few months or more), and even if you do have some improvement and it stops it might continue after a few months or more on which you are on the drug.
Also, and although you must be aware of any side effects that you might experience - I do guess that you'll experience some and it might not be easy, it might even be difficult. Again, be aware of the side effects and decide wisely what to do with them, but don't be surprised that there are side effects.

Jimbob

Good Luck! The individuals that have tried drugs and posted, seemed to start with AZT and then add Raltegravir. Will you be adding another drug? I hope it goes well for you.

jimbob

ME/CFS84-XMRV+
no, I'm doing just the Ral. went to www.needymeds.com and went to issentris and printed application. My dr. and I filled out the forms which are very short and mailed them back about 2 wks ago. there is no charge for these drugs!

K

Knackered

I really hope everything goes well jimbob, keep us updated.

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
Oh to live in the US!

Good luck Jimbob. Will watch your progress closely.

When I spoke to Dr Judy at InvestinME in London on Monday, she was against the use of monotherapy (due to possibility of resistance).

jimbob

ME/CFS84-XMRV+
I just couldn't get myself on board with AZT and all the side effects. Ral a whole lot less scary and we'll see where it goes from here. Thanks for all the encouraging words.

mojoey

Jimob,

not sure if you read dr jones' blog at treatingxmrv.blogspot.com, but she said raltegravir was the one out of the three that caused the most adverse (but also potentially positive, as she is now reporting) reaction, although she thinks this is possibly due to all the unintegrated viral DNA. For some reason it caused the highest inflammatory response. She thinks it's because it's such a potent inhibitor of XMRV integrase, but who really knows at this point. She did say those that tried raltegravir alone have had the worst response.

I know energetic testing does that resonate with many people, but personally I would not take a drug unless I tested well for it. Out of the threes I tested well for azt and tenofovir, in that order, whereas raltegravir collapsed me. This muscle testng was done before I ever heard from dr jones about her experience with the drugs. Eventually I decided to put off the azt for now and seek another option that I can't post about publically yet (but it has been mentioned as a potential therapy at some XMRV conferences). I just hope you use all the accumulated knowledge at your disposal before doing this. What are common side effects for AIDS patients may not occur for CFS patients and vice versa. Talk with dr jones if you haven't already. If you're willing to take a leap of faith, get some type of autonomic response testing (ART testing, muscle testing, biomeridian testing, other electrodermal testing) to see what type of overall effect the drug has on your body.

ladybugmandy

autonomic response testing?? joey..i tried to google this but imy fog is really bad. how can they determine which drugs will be better for you? do they give you the drug and then test certain things?

thank you
sue

redo

Here's a quote from drugs.com about raltegravir:

The rates of discontinuation due to adverse events were 2% in subjects receiving Isentress and 3% in subjects receiving placebo.

Seems like a good drug with regards to side effects.

jimbob

ME/CFS84-XMRV+
redo, I new that going in. one list on side effects showed every drug except Ral with side effects. Still scary though, I've never taken large doses of anything!