Started Ubiqinol (Q10) Interested in how it worked or not for others

Wishful

It is not possible to get adequate nutrients just from diet, no matter how high quality it is. It takes over 8,000 calories a day to get 100% of the DV of each nutrient.
I meant to ask in my previous post, is your estimate of what's required to get the DV based on RDA's, which are admitted to be overestimated, and intended to meet the minimum needs of all but 5% of the population that for some reason need far more than normal? If so, that would be trying to meet an unreasonable target. If you assume more reasonable nutrient requirements, most people probably meet them with a reasonable diet. Dietary deficiency doesn't seem to be a major health concern in the developed world. It does occur in individuals with really bad diets or with specific medical problems, but that's outside of 'normal'.

pamojja

. It does occur in individuals with really bad diets or with specific medical problems, but that's outside of 'normal'
Uhm, with what I see majorly sold in markets (industrially prepared foods) and most of the elderly population on multiple prescribtions - bad diets and specific medical problems seem to be what's completely 'normal'.

Wolfcub

Update: I finished the whole big pack of bio-available Q-10, and took it as recommended.

It made no difference at all for me. I have been having more frequent crashes throughout Spring, and even since I had been taking it, and my baseline is slipping from what it was during the winter (November/December and most of January)-for sure.
So I can say that for me, it was no help.

Wolfcub

Ubiquinol causes methylation. You could be one of those overmethylated people who will have side effects.
I have never been able to tell if I am over methylated or not. I have read about it all over the place and still not understood it in relation to myself.
But maybe the complete lack of side effects in my case shows that I'm not (?) I never got any ill-effects from the Q-10.

To be honest, none of the half dozen or so supplements I've tried have made any difference
Frequently I feel I just cannot discern differences between taking this or not taking that. I notice with the herbs I take, but not the supplements. Other people I sometimes know just swear all these things are doing all these things and I am: a bit suspicious. But then generally: I am pill suspicious.

I try to only introduce one new variable at a time. It is nice to have recent dietary adjustments: result in a direct noticeable improvement in a bunch of things.

Ok: my desert island will not include that One Loaf of Bread.

@Wolfcub , @jesse's mom
I noticed in your first post (I just stumbled on this thread today, so am coming to the party pretty late) that you said you were taking Q10 'tablets'.

To be absorbed effectively, Q10 needs to be accompanied by a fat or oil. Otherise it just sort of glides on thru.

I take mine first thing in the AM, even before breakfast, with 3 or 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Less oil would also probably work. CoQ10 does have the irritating side effect of over-energizing you, or at least keeping you awake at night, if you take it too late.

If you ever decide to give it another whirl, try taking it with a good quality oil, or even butter (butyric acid is good for you), and take it first thing in the AM. :)

Last edited:

Wishful

I have never been able to tell if I am over methylated or not. I have read about it all over the place and still not understood it in relation to myself.
I don't understand the 'methylation stuff' either. If we don't know which methyation-affected genes are involved, or whether they're over or under expressed, how should we know which way to influence them? I suppose one could try the methylation protocol and see if it has an effect on one's symptoms, but that applies just as well to anything that might affect one's body. What if ME involves one gene that is underexpressed and one that is over expressed? Are there methylation protocols that affect different genes?

Given the lack of knowledge about what is involved with ME and how methylation might affect it, I've just ignored the methylation stuff.

Wishful

Frequently I feel I just cannot discern differences between taking this or not taking that. I notice with the herbs I take, but not the supplements. Other people I sometimes know just swear all these things are doing all these things and I am: a bit suspicious. But then generally: I am pill suspicious.
It's the same for me. Occasionally I encounter something that has a significant effect. In rare cases, the effect continues for more than just a few tries. :rolleyes: For treatments with less significant effects (and which don't stop working after the first couple of doses), I repeat experiments until I can be sure that it's not just my imagination. Then I have to judge whether the slight not-just-my-hopeful-imagination treatment is worth the extra expense, hassle or, in some cases, unpleasant taste.

So far, of the things that have a significant effect, ones with negative effects greatly outnumber the ones with positive effects. Not fair.

In my 18 years of ME, I've only discovered five things that have had a significant positive effect for more than a couple of days or weeks, and only two of them still work reliably. When I see someone post a long list of the treatments or supplements they claim work for them, I too am a bit skeptical about the actual effectiveness.

Then I have to judge whether the slight not-just-my-hopeful-imagination treatment is worth the extra expense, hassle or, in some cases, unpleasant taste.
Example of all that: I try a few drops of the now infamous CBD extract. I think I did notice that it helped with a couple of symptoms, but it smelled really awful and that parked in my sinuses and the stink lasted for hours.

Yuck. Don't want to try it again.

@Rufous McKinney
Example of all that: I try a few drops of the now infamous CBD extract. I think I did notice that it helped with a couple of symptoms, but it smelled really awful and that parked in my sinuses and the stink lasted for hours.
Not sure which brand you tried, but there are several highly reputable, really good sources, and pretty affordable as this stuff goes.

Lemme know, and I'll send you some rec's that I've tried and can vouch for.