• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Something to Ponder

jesse's mom

Comparison of Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs and the Human Chakras.

1552159669680.png

1552159867054.png

It is obvious to me that others have made this correlation before as the chart illustrating Maslow’s paper from This site and link, and this very common explanation of the human chakra system have similarities (Image above). Both these examples use the same color assignments. Hmmm, something to ponder.

I am interested in this because I am interested in the mind and body connection especially in the way that ME/CFS is manifested in the body.

I am NOT saying that this is not a physical illness, I am saying that we can look at the ways that our bodies are ill, and perhaps help ourselves by having this knowledge. I know that meditation and attempting to move energy through my chakra system helps some of my symptoms.

This is not an easy task for me. I began meditation some 35 years ago, I have not been constant or vigilant. Each time I experience yet another trauma in my life, I have had such a hard time with focus! In the past few years I have been so sick from ME/CFS that being in bed I have nothing but time to ponder these things, to try to clear the muck and mud from my body, mind and spirit.

These traumas came in the form of neglect, abuse, violence, fear of failure, loss and finally illness. All the things that have happened in so many people’s life. I am not alone.

I have had great success as well! I danced to the top of Maslow’s needs and lived there for a while. I fell back down, mostly from making mistakes due to my ego at the time. I had help falling down. People, events and finally debilitating and all-encompassing sickness.

In the last few years I am making a bit of progress in feeling safe, and healing some of the trauma.

I hope you will take a moment and look at the illustrations and just relax and see if any of this resonates. My highest calling is to heal and help others on our journey.

Last edited:

Rufous McKinney

I hope you will take a moment and look at the illustrations

These are very powerful images, Jesse's Mom!! and I appreciate the colors are corresponding. With ME, we forget which color to spin at that perfect moment!

But its new Rules!.......Perhaps ANY color will do! I need to better attend to that: adrenal and spleen area!

I found it somehow rather perfect when I found out EBV loves to hang out in the throat. Of course they took the tonsils during the first round. (age 10, Mono). Loss of control occurred: once again. I wanted my tonsils.

BTW: all this discussion here has reminded me of this detail I entirely forgot: that I am ten, and I have Mono nucleosus, and at that time it is called the Kissing Disease. So my whole class knew I had this Kissing Disease and it was very embarrassing for a Ten Year Old. So: shame over this illness- well that arrived quite quickly.

Back to chakras: I have an intense Venus that rules my whole chart, and Venus is there in the Throat Chakra. I labelled it: Venus is choking in dust bunnies. My Venus, felt abandoned, having been relegated to the back room, as I busily attempted to keep my career going despite needing to: collapse.

Listening to Andrew Weil last night, about walking over hot coals. It is ALL in the mind, it is NOT in the physics. And I do Know this, somehow. Now: time to spin the pretty colors.

Rufous McKinney

Each time I experience had yet another trauma in my life,

Emotional Freedom Technique (aka "tapping") is something I've played around with, and like everything, do now and then and intend to do more and more.

But this is an interesting technique for clearing emotional blockages in the body. Plenty of info online. I should do some more of that: especially for these childhood traumas and major setbacks. Which seem to be emerging a whole lot here lately:

So the body can: move on, if it would like to!.

jesse's mom

Of course they took the tonsils during the first round. (age 10
Mine were taken at 10 also. I had been sick forever, off and on in the throat and sinus from 4 years old. Interestingly my father left for his first tour of Vietnam that year. When I was 4, he was never the same. Flag abandonment.
So my whole class knew I had this Kissing Disease and it was very embarrassing for a Ten Year Old. So: shame over this illness- well that arrived quite quickly.
Oh, how embarrassing! I didn't get Mono till I was 15. My daughter got it in the 4th grade. The same year she had the first teacher that did not like her.
I labelled it: Venus is choking in dust bunnies. My Venus, felt abandoned, having been relegated to the back room, as I busily attempted to keep my career going despite needing to: collapse.
What an apt description! I desperately kept working for way too long too.
I want to, and I think I am starting to.

Thank you for your comments

sunshine44

Que sera sera
Emotional Freedom Technique (aka "tapping") is something I've played around with, and like everything, do now and then and intend to do more and more.

But this is an interesting technique for clearing emotional blockages in the body. Plenty of info online. I should do some more of that: especially for these childhood traumas and major setbacks. Which seem to be emerging a whole lot here lately:

I had s many successes with EFT in 2011-2012 then forgot about it....and after many thousands of dollars of other tried treatments during this severe situation I have been in past 3 years....I am just getting back to EFT except going for faster EFT and had some pretty cool weeks in February!! Plus felt very enmpowered, have a rough 10 day stretch now but still working on it as I can.

There is absolutely something to this stuff as much as i wanted everything else I tried first to work:_

sunshine44

Que sera sera
Also, will write more later but was just put in contact with a woman whom had severe POTS/lyme/ME since 2002, was in nursing home for 8 months of her 2nd pregnancy in 2011 and on IV fluids daily for POTS for 7 years, tried everything, could only lay on left side plus a million other horrible things. After her third round with sepsis from a port in 2017, she thought she was finally done.

Someone told her about ans rewiring and tapping and she began toying around with both.

Bedridden for 4 years. wheelchair for 8 years. Never went to her childrens schools, swimming, etc. until 2018 for first time. She volunteers now, walks, cooks, etc. She is very inspiring to me. She said no one did it for her, it was an inward process. She is STILL going strong 1 1/2 years later with mainly tapping and brain excercises PLUS her children no longer have lyme which I have heard of from multiple mothers now on different forums and its kinda intruiguing if you think about it. She no longer has severe mast cell issues, etc.

Also, when I could still read books, I read 'how I save my life' and spoiler alert...……..

but EFT ultimately saved her from cfs/lme as well after a $30,000 stem cell treatment that only helped temporarily.

Ok, have to rest but would love to talk about this more later.

YippeeKi YOW !!

@jesse's mom
Lovely thread!!!

Too tired, nauseated, headachey, and cranky to post more fully (I'll be back), but thought these might be helpful with your sleep/chakras/meditation and didn't want to wait til I felt better to post them :

7 Chakras Healing Chant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7JS0O3pFS8

And this one is just beautiful, both visually and audially:

sunshine44

Que sera sera
@sunshine44 I am amazed and in wonder to hear about that woman whom you know !
It made tears come in my eyes. To have so much of her life back....wow!!
Helo! It truly is amazing isn't t? These are not random stories we need to remind ourselves, these stories are happening to many people. I know because during all of this past few years I have become quite a researcher of how people heal from this.

I do not know either of them. I have corresponded with Claire but we don't know each other. She doesn't talk about illness these days, her mind is busy creating new roads, soooo happy for her and her family!

The other woman was Amy Scher author of a book I read. Actually the last book I read in May 2018.

sunshine44

Que sera sera
Although I do not know why I have not figured out the key to unlock my own situation yet, I know I have had a helluva a lot of trauma past 1 1/2 years which can make things messier. I know just because it hasn't happened yet and sometimes looks so dim as I am bound to a bed.....it doesn't mean my key is lost....even though this journey has been so long for myself and many of us....I refuse to settle that this is the way...not so.

Although Claire didn't heal in one day, she said she did wake up one day and felt a shift...hugely and just knew she wasn't sick anymore and I have heard that from others, like it can sometimes start shifting as quick as it came on....not that she was out of a wheelchair in one day but its important to note.

I had a week of days like that in February. It was so amazing. There are not words. I have struggled since that week immensely but I am doing my best to remind my brain that it does hold power....that I do not have to lay here waiting for "the" cure.

YippeeKi YOW !!

@jesse's mom
This thread is incredibly important, and I can't thank you enough for posting it .... I've believed for a long time now that there's some mysterious spiritual / mental connection to this disease for some of us, maybe for more than some, which is DEFINITELY NOT to say that this illness is 'all in our minds'. Quite the opposite. This is a horrible, very physical illness that somehow brings some of us into a sort of spiritual/mental bubble that overlaps with the physical and, to some degree, directs or shapes it. I'm not sure how we can define that or connect to that, it will almost definitely be different for each us in many ways, the same in some. But I know that a focus on the ethereal body and both the conscious and the unconscious mind is, for me, part of the healing.

@Rufous McKinney recommended a book that I'm finding fascinating, just on the initial review and partial readings thru Amazon, Goodreads, and UofGoogle, called On Becoming an Alchemist- A guide for the Modern Magician by Catherine MacCoun. It's beautifully and concisely written but may be too deep and dense for me right now.

Nonetheless, I intend to read a little every day, whether I fully grasp it or not, and then re-read it again and again, until I can fully grasp the complex metaphysical nature of the content. Of what I've read, every bit of it made sense even if its full meaning was often hazy. I accept that whether I fully understand it or not, it will create illumination and change on levels I can neither see, touch, or define.

I found the brief appendix on How To Meditate immediately valuable, being both a lapsed and lazy meditator.

@sunshine44
I am doing my best to remind my brain that it does hold power....that I do not have to lay here waiting for "the" cure.
You're soooooo, absolutely, right. Don't let yourself (and I'm speaking to myself here, as much as to you) slip into despair and hopelessness when everything seems determined to get worse, when every 'fix' you find stops working, when every promising road turns into a dead-end, when you seem to have run out of options or sources to turn to. I'm right there with you.