• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Solve ME/CFS Initiative Times Square public awareness video

JaimeS

The prevlance estimates are all over the place, but Jason et al would say there are spikes before it settles back to what he considers 'normal' levels: there was one in the early 1990s when it kept making news. There was another, smaller spike in... 2003? The early 2000s... before it went back to its normal prevalence levels.

This is all from memory, so take from that what you will.

Hutan

@mfairma 's post made me think of another alternative. How about someone out doing something energetic/happy enjoying life/friends no sound just a brief cameo and then the picture turns to black and white (after a vivid colourful scene) and then an image is shown of someone with ME --using the above heading of course ;)

I think that's very good. It could get across the idea that all sorts of people are happily going about their lives and then, bam, they aren't. If not video of the person before ME, then a flick through of colourful photos showing a full life, lived well - then the black and white image of after ME. I think it would work best with a jaunty tune playing while the colourful active images are shown and then complete quiet for the black and white image and then the message in simple black and white.

It could work in print too - two contrasting images side by side, the before and the after, the colour and the monochrome.

@mfairma's millions missing montage with the Nina Simone song is great.

I agree with @JaimeS, for a mainstream, introductory campaign, it is best to leave out any discussion of rabid psychologists and put as much distance as we can between us and ideas of a psychogenic illness.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Email message today from SolveCFS:
Made possible by a generous gift from an anonymous donor, SMCI has created a 15-second ME/CFS ad that's currently playing in the heart of Times Square Plaza. Located at Broadway and 43rd Ave., the 1,624-square-foot LED ad will run three times per hour, 20 hours per day, through the end of November 2016 (meaning it will be airing on Black Friday and during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade).

Horizon

I think it's a fantastic campaign. The friends I have shown it too didn't understand though. "Why did you post that weird nose thing"

I got to explain ng tube and feeding, iv treatments etc but I think they mentally blocked out what I said. I would love to poll random people in Times Sq to know what their thoughts and perceptions are.