• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SOD2 A16V mutation and exercise - should antioxidants be used?

I have a heterozygous mutation on SOD2 A16V (Mitochondria)-Superoxide dismutase. I know this means I will experience more oxidative stress in my mitochondria.

Would it be a good idea to supplement with antioxidants before / after exercise? I realise exercise is beneficial for normal people because it causes stress and so taking antioxidants before exercise would not be a good idea. Especially since a lot of new studies report the negatives of supplementing antioxidants, however I wonder if this mutation means antioxidants are important to limit the amount of oxidative stress?

I know some have used COQ10 to reduce PEM.

Anyone with this mutation or has any theories?

You would have to take antioxidants that get inside the mitochondria. Fusion and fission are important for optimal mitochondria and I'm not sure how those would be impacted.

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I have this mutation and I respond well to antioxidants. If you want you can always take extra SOD in the form of Extramel melon extract. I don't think it is essential as long as you keep oxadative stress low or take other basic antioxidants (Vitamin C, pycnogenol, astaxanthin, curcumin, Pro-resolving mediators all work well for me).

I have this mutation and I respond well to antioxidants. If you want you can always take extra SOD in the form of Extramel melon extract. I don't think it is essential as long as you keep oxadative stress low or take other basic antioxidants (Vitamin C, pycnogenol, astaxanthin, curcumin, Pro-resolving mediators all work well for me).

Have you taken Seeking Health's SOD supplement?

I've had wonderful effects from working on methylation MTHFR C667T +/-, MTR +/-, MTRR +/- and VDR +/+ after a very, very strong detox reaction to folate so I'm wondering if I took some strong antioxidants even in the form of IVs if it could also have a big impact. I can't seem to tolerate NAC to help with my glutathione as the reaction is incredible strong.

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Have you taken Seeking Health's SOD supplement?

I've had wonderful effects from working on methylation MTHFR C667T +/-, MTR +/-, MTRR +/- and VDR +/+ after a very, very strong detox reaction to folate so I'm wondering if I took some strong antioxidants even in the form of IVs if it could also have a big impact. I can't seem to tolerate NAC to help with my glutathione as the reaction is incredible strong.

Yes, I've tried the Seeking Health - it's fine. But as I said, nothing I can't live without.

I am +/+ on all the stuff you are +/- on (MTHFR, MTR, MTRR) ! For me the best methylation supplement of all is Methyl Charge+ by Quicksilver Scientific.

anne_likes_red

I have a heterozygous mutation on SOD2 A16V (Mitochondria)-Superoxide dismutase. I know this means I will experience more oxidative stress in my mitochondria.

Would it be a good idea to supplement with antioxidants before / after exercise? I realise exercise is beneficial for normal people because it causes stress and so taking antioxidants before exercise would not be a good idea. Especially since a lot of new studies report the negatives of supplementing antioxidants, however I wonder if this mutation means antioxidants are important to limit the amount of oxidative stress?

I know some have used COQ10 to reduce PEM.

Anyone with this mutation or has any theories?

I have that mutation ++ GG:sluggish::oh-dear:
I believe this is why hyperbaric oxygen therapy with IV vitamin C helped me.
I also feel better with light therapy - lots of sunlight...although that could be Vitamin D related.

I had no positive response to COQ10, PQQ or MitoQ.

I'm also ++ for two of the VDR snps - bsm and taq. What specifically has helped you address your VDR mutation/s ?
Anne.

I have that mutation ++ GG:sluggish::oh-dear:
I believe this is why hyperbaric oxygen therapy with IV vitamin C helped me.
I also feel better with light therapy - lots of sunlight...although that could be Vitamin D related.

I had no positive response to COQ10, PQQ or MitoQ.

I'm also ++ for two of the VDR snps - bsm and taq. What specifically has helped you address your VDR mutation/s ?
Anne.

Hi Anne,

I was considering hyperbaric oxygen, glad hear you've had good effects from it. How many sessions did you have before you felt a difference?

I take 5000ius per day. Its recommended that you supplement 1000ius per 25lbs of body weight. Previously I was prescribed around 500ius from GP on top of eating plenty of fish, eggs and vitamin D rich foods. It did sod all until I supplemented at a high dose.

Worth noting you should consider taking D3 with a K2 supplement as I believe they work together. You'll be able to find them together in some supplements, I believe NutriLink has one.

anne_likes_red

Hi Anne,

I was considering hyperbaric oxygen, glad hear you've had good effects from it. How many sessions did you have before you felt a difference?

I take 5000ius per day. Its recommended that you supplement 1000ius per 25lbs of body weight. Previously I was prescribed around 500ius from GP on top of eating plenty of fish, eggs and vitamin D rich foods. It did sod all until I supplemented at a high dose.

Worth noting you should consider taking D3 with a K2 supplement as I believe they work together. You'll be able to find them together in some supplements, I believe NutriLink has one.
I've been supplementing with 5000 iu and vit K2 so I'm probably covered in that regard.
I was reading how some things may help 'activate' the VDR, EG: resveratrol, curcumin, quercetin, zinc, boron, and intense exercise! I'm taking most of those at the moment - ...just not the boron and intense exercise.
I was in an acute situation when I started HBOT (active toxoplasmosis affecting the optic nerve) and I had a positive response to that situation from the first session. My doctor was clear though - he was was treating cellular respiration and not the infection directly. I had several rounds of approx 5 consecutive days HBOT in a hard chamber with 45 g IV vitamin C given just before each dive. I'd had ME 10 + years at that point and my ME symptoms improved across the board.
Soft chamber HBOT is much more accessible here now and I'm not sure how that compares with what I did back in the late 90s. There may be some good HBOT threads here if you do a search, with discussion of more recent treatments.