• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sock It To ME: a community public art project to raise awareness and funds.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I've been thinking about themes and public presentations/protests and socks

It revolves around those mysterious missing socks and the fact that we're missing our partner: the federal government. The missing socks represent our missing partner in solving this disease (the federal government).

The Missing Sock Campaign: finding that Missing Sock ( a true partner in solving this disease)

We can list all that the federal government is NOT doing for ME/CFS (missing adequate Research Funding/Physician Education, treatment possibilites..an all the horrid stats - last in the NIH in funding, 50% decline in funding over the past five years.....).....How the government has given 1 million people "The Cold Foot"

"Stop giving us the Cold Foot!"

Thanks Cort, for your input. These are really great ideas. I love the cold foot metaphor.

creekfeet

Sockfeet
frenchtulip, the forget-ME-not! Yes! That ought to be our official flower, if a disease can have one.

Cort, I love the missing sock concept. Maybe there should be a tab on the website especially for the missing sock. Some of our lives have many missing socks: lack of appropriate government support for research, treatment and diagnosis is one. Another is lack of good health care, of understanding of the disease or even of a diagnosis from our doctors who should be more aware. Another is lack of understanding or support from family and friends. In so many ways, we are left alone like singleton socks.

Lily

*Believe*
These sock ideas are really clever! Whatever is decided, I think I would like to decorate my sock with the "Forget-ME-Not" flower.

These ideas ARE really something. I get excited every time there's a new post. Decorating your sock with the 'Forget-Me-Not' flower got me all choked up. Wonderful idea, frenchtulip.

creekfeet

Sockfeet
We could certainly come up with something - as well, if it takes off, have a place to put photo's of the socks on the website/forums.

May 12 is the time to do something...its coming up!

Oops! *blush* I must have sounded quite presumptuous. I didn't mean to ask for a whole tab in the Phoenix Rising website for the sock project. I was talking about the sock website. The project itself is getting its own website, currently under construction, and we could have one of the tabs there be about the Missing Sock specifically. Also it will have photos of socks. And yeah, we're aiming for having it up and running in time for May 12.

But yes, since this was the birthplace of the sock project it would be good to have a special place for it here so all can watch as it grows. At the very least I'll start a new thread here as soon as the sock website is up, to alert everyone that it's a go.

Lisette

Frida For All
Oh, that Forget-Me-Not flower idea has my eyes and nose all stinging with trying not to cry. That is the perfect symbol for a plea. When people see us, that is usually on a day when we are doing better and then they "Forget" that we are so ill. We are so often out of sight, out of mind. The name of that video "I Remember Me" is verglempt-inducing, but some of us are starting to forget ourselves.

ETA: When I looked up images for "Forget-Me-Not" I came across another symbol-- the little string tied around a finger-- minus the finger. It has been made into jewelry that "reads" very well graphically, as well as the flower.

Men might prefer the string to the flower?

usedtobeperkytina

Ok, my eye is hurting me, so I had to skip to the end. I hope I don't repeat what others have said.

I plan to sew beads on mine. I hope you guys figured out a way to hold it up, as it may be heavier than most others.

Fort Payne, Alabama bills itself as the "Official Sock Capital of the World." Can we get some special recognition or cooperation from the city government there? Maybe some money? I might can help with that later, say mid-May. But not now. If anyone else wants to, go for it. Wikipedia says about the city: "That downturn shifted in 1907, when the W.B. Davis Hosiery Mill began operations. This was the beginning of decades of hosiery manufacture in Fort Payne. By the beginning of the 21st century, the hosiery industry in Fort Payne employed over 7,000 people in more than 100 mills. It produced more than half of the socks made in the United States." It says that in 2005, the number employed at sock mills in the city was down to 5,500. If we got the city, we would certainly get some local coverage there. Population of the city is 13,000. And although much of their sock manufacturing has declined, if there were any city in the American continent that would benefit, it would be Fort Payne. Maybe there could some commitment to include ads and encourage participants to buy socks from just this city's manufacturers? Maybe the local chamber of commerce or industrial development folks would be interested. As I said, in mid-May, I would be willing to help with that. I am making a trip from May 11-16. And I will need some time to recover from that. But after that, I should be available. I would be willing to make a presentation to the City Council, Industrial Development Board or Chamber. Or all of the above, but not all in one week, of course.

This company is outside of Fort Payne, but it is in the same county: http://www.bamasocks.com/ Which brings up the idea that the county government might want to help.

A recently-started organic sock company in Ft. Payne: http://www.zkano.com/ I hate to say it, but that Gina at this company looks like one of us.

Here is another: http://socksitis.net/

And another: http://www.wyshugart.com/default.htm

There are others that don't have a Web site or my finicky computer won't let me access.

I know someone here mentioned another sock manufacturer being a sponsor. Maybe we could get a competition going for an exclusive. First one to commit to our request gets international attention.

Well, I was interrupted in the middle of writing this post. And I am in too much pain to keep typing.

I will check back. Sorry I am coming in late.

Tina

creekfeet

Sockfeet
Is it time to make a new thread? I think it is. At 33 pages this one is way too much for people to read, plus we're getting so close to our launch date goal!

No problem about coming in late, though, Tina. Beads sounds wonderful, and sponsorship sounds terrific in whatever form, and from whatever company, it might come.

Alright, I'm off to make the new thread, and I'll post a link from here. Wow. This project is really going to happen. I know there have been some contentious moments on the forums lately, but just look at how well we all work together and the things we can do. The email action alert list, the youtube video, and coming soon, the sock project... and all the wonderful support. I'm so grateful to be here.

starryeyes

Umm... How to say this with some sense of humor? :worried:

Okay so maybe it will come acrossed as morbid, :ashamed: but attaching a tag to a sock lead me to:

View attachment 1931

lol!! Actually that's very fitting for us. I feel dead most of the time.

They come in various shapes and sizes and collect various info, but essentially a 'toe tag' identifies the person and relevant facts.... okay so maybe it is a bit of dark humor! :rolleyes:

And way too clinical! :mask:

Back to warm fuzzy Socks! :D

lol!!! Actually that's fits us. I feel dead all the time.

creekfeet

Sockfeet
This got bottom-paged so I'm quoting it here, so all will know there's a new thread, now that the project is officially launching. There's a website, facebook page and all that shiny stuff.

Okay, I think I've gathered salient points... phrew. Here's the New Sock Thread!

Teej, I know, the toe tags are almost too funny an idea. Tempting!

I'll be going back through this thread soon as I can, to pick up things that need to be added to the first page of the new thread, like suggestions for display venues and decoration ideas and stuff. But I need to do some balancing of socks and family, I'm getting spread a little thin. Socks, Family, Oh yeah, and then there's me. We need more healthy people to jump in and help with the project.

jace

Off the fence
I've posted the idea on Foggies again, to see if it grabs folk there. I may not be the best person to do it, but hey. UK people, help me with this!

talkingfox

We got our first batches of socks in today ...Hurray!

Just a quick reminder to those contemplating how to do their socks: PLEASE read the size requirements thoroughly and also remember that these will be packed, unpacked and outdoors.
Also, please completely fill out the submission form. All info will be confidential unless you specify otherwise.

If the parameters set on the website aren't met we can't add your sock to the garlands....add to the database, yes. Garlands, no.