• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Russian Immuno-modulators

eljefe19

Also Cimetidine apparently reduces Tregs, which disinhibits the Akt/mTOR pathway. I think that probably plays a role as well. I'm imagining trying a regimen of Oxymatrine/Rifampin/Arbidol/Cimetidine.

eljefe19

Cimetidine is really interesting. I'm pretty sure I'm onto something with targeting mTOR, but I don't know yet how to reconcile that with Dr Chia's work. I think that article I posted above may have some clues about pathogens hijacking the mTOR system.

Hip

Looking more closely at this CVB4 Arbidol study, and mechanism by which Arbidol (umifenovir) reduces the IL-10 secretion caused by CVB4, the full paper says that:
CVB4 virus infection reduced p38 phosphorylation, while phosphorylation of the downstream MK2 was increased. However, treatment with Umifenovir significantly promoted p38 phosphorylation and reduced MK2 phosphorylation. Therefore, we speculated that CVB4 virus infection induced IL-10 expression was mainly through the p38MAPK pathway.

So if we can further boost p38 phosphorylation (p38 activation) and reduce MK2 phosphorylation (MK2 activation) by other means as well, that may help even more to shift from Th2 to Th1 in the case of chronic coxsackievirus B4 infection.

MK2 = MAPK-activated protein kinase 2.

Seems that insulin boosts p38 activation in smooth muscle cells (so perhaps the intranasal insulin I was experimenting with might have an antiviral effect in the brain), as does follicle stimulating hormone. And genistein (a dietary supplement) reduces MK2 activation (ref: 1); but unfortunately genistein also reduces p38 activation, which is the opposite of what we want (ref: 1).

eljefe19

Good work, Insulin also activates mTOR. I guess I just have some healthy skepticism of the enteroviral cause of my ME/CFS. None of my titers were especially high. Looks like I am going to just pay for Rituximab through OMI for now, say 2-3 infusions to see whether I'm a responder. I may or may not be looking to augment it with antivirals and immunomodulators. There was some talk on here about Rifampin possibly being synergistic with Ritxuimab in resetting the sphingomyelin cycle. I don't really know what that means though.

Sancar

Sick of being sick ~
Also Cimetidine apparently reduces Tregs, which disinhibits the Akt/mTOR pathway. I think that probably plays a role as well. I'm imagining trying a regimen of Oxymatrine/Rifampin/Arbidol/Cimetidine.[/QUOTE

@eljefe19 - Did you start your trail of the above mentioned regimen? If so how are you doing?

Nuno

Hey @Hip , I hate to be the one bringing life to old threads, but in this one you recently (2017) mentioned that you were going to try Arbidol for its IL10 decreasing activity and antiviral properties.

Have you managed to this experiment? If so, with which results?

Thx

Hip

Hey @Hip , I hate to be the one bringing life to old threads, but in this one you recently (2017) mentioned that you were going to try Arbidol for its IL10 decreasing activity and antiviral properties.

I only did a short term test for a week at low doses, but there was one person who tried Arbidol at higher doses for longer periods, and claimed some improvement for their CVB4, if I remember correctly. You might find their posts if you search the forum for "Arbidol".