• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ron Davis Update

The theory is that the bystander cells readiness state becomes chronic. That is ME/CFS (if the theory is right).
Concern is the pathways that normally turn off IFNa production don't turn off in ME/CFS.

I think I sort of, kind of understand the hypothesis. What I don't get is why they are assuming that this metabolic state is aberrant and not a result of an ongoing low grade infection somewhere in the tissues?

It's not like we all get checked for all possible infections in all possible locations in the body using 100% accurate test methods.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I think I sort of, kind of understand the hypothesis. What I don't get is why they are assuming that this metabolic state is aberrant and not a result of an ongoing low grade infection somewhere in the tissues?

It's not like we all get checked for all possible infections in all possible locations in the body using 100% accurate test methods.
What i got is that they want to figure out what is causing it and mentioned several times it could be an active infection.
But if they have the science down even an active infection should involve the active immune system, not perpetually the short term immune startup system.

That said i am not yet sold on this current theory, it makes a lot of intuitive sense but it lacks any real evidence and their data is too vague.

Forummember9922

When I first started quercetin, I got a big relief in malaise and sympathetic drive
I see though that quercetin upregulates Ifn-alpha so that doesn't seem ideal per this study? I'm not very well versed on any of this.

The previous comment about beta glucans bypassing itaconate is interesting, and there were also some studies where mice with an induced CFS improved with beta glucans. But I think enough people have had beta glucans that we'd know by now?

*shrug* Maybe someone else has a better understanding. Grateful for the research and hopeful for the future.

BrightCandle

The previous comment about beta glucans bypassing itaconate is interesting, and there were also some studies where mice with an induced CFS improved with beta glucans. But I think enough people have had beta glucans that we'd know by now?

I definitely improve with the intake of beta glucans, if I don't take them I get immediately worse. This is one of the few things I take I am 100% sure works. The best form for me so far is just plain old Oats, usually in bran format rather than whole oats as raw works a lot better than cooked. The other fancier solutions like Reishi and Lions Mane mushroom work too but aren't better and they cost more. I have no doubt beta glucans help me and I have about half the amount in my gut as a normal person according to my recent biomesight.

Mary

Moderator Resource
I definitely improve with the intake of beta glucans, if I don't take them I get immediately worse.
Could you be specific about what symptoms beta glucans help you with? e.g., do they help prevent PEM or increase your endurance or improve brain fog, etc. I am glad to hear beta glucans are helping you - I like oat bran a lot!

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I definitely improve with the intake of beta glucans, if I don't take them I get immediately worse. This is one of the few things I take I am 100% sure works. The best form for me so far is just plain old Oats, usually in bran format rather than whole oats as raw works a lot better than cooked. The other fancier solutions like Reishi and Lions Mane mushroom work too but aren't better and they cost more. I have no doubt beta glucans help me and I have about half the amount in my gut as a normal person according to my recent biomesight.
What dose do you take?

BrightCandle

Does anyone know what happened with all the approved drugs, Chinese and Indian herbs that were going to be tried in the nano needle? Any success? Thanks.
I have heard on twitter a few people mention the entire thing ended, all the metabolic trap work was a dead end. I don't think anything officially has been said to this effect at all but Ron's last presentation was not anything to do with this theory and work. We really don't know what stage its at or if its been canned but we haven't heard anything on it for over half a year.

lenora

I don't know what's going on with Ron, but the man is no longer young and he's doing his best. After all, his son is probably the worst among us. This is what researchers do....rule things out in addition to helping find cures. I'm sure he even dreams about answers to questions. Yours, Lenora

junkcrap50

I have heard on twitter a few people mention the entire thing ended, all the metabolic trap work was a dead end. I don't think anything officially has been said to this effect at all but Ron's last presentation was not anything to do with this theory and work. We really don't know what stage its at or if its been canned but we haven't heard anything on it for over half a year.
They still need to publish or at least present their failed experiments and data that refutes their many hypotheses they hype up (edit: I meant "raise awareness" more than hype) and spread via interviews and other media.

Last edited:

Tsukareta

I don't know if we can say for sure until they do actually say, but I just had the feeling ages ago that this IDO2 trap thing was unlikely to be true, or if it was possible that it could happen, for all we know it would kill the organism and therefore naturally select itself out of active existence, therefore its probably not occurring or if it does then it somehow self corrects, it just seemed like a longshot, i'm not a biochemist though, more of an engineer / general problem solver / student of all disciplines of knowledge.