• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ron Davis Update

Janet Dafoe

Board Member
I'm confused. Wasn't just a week or two ago that Ron seemed so dispirited in a video he made? Was that before this was discovered??
No, it was just that the interview questions didn’t elicit much that was new and interesting. I imediately noticed this and proposed that I interview him because I know what’s happening and exciting in the lab. So I am going to make a bunch of videos with everything that’s going on in the lab. So far we have nine planned. And I just solicited Robert Phair, and I’m going to interview him so he can explain the itaconate shunt better and show his beautiful diagrams. I am considering interviewing other people too. I seem to be able to summarize things in a way that patients can understand and get researchers to explain things and tell us what is exciting to them. I’m kind of excited about this project and I am learning about how to record on zoom . Feedback is definitely welcome!

Last edited:

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
This is an additional hypothesis at this point and they are continuing to pursue both of them and exploring how they are related. The third video is going to be an update on the metabolic trap.
I watched the video and i am confused, is there a shortage of pyruvate or an excess of it?
I'll try and watch it a few more times to see if i can get more from it.

lenora

Hello @Janet Dafoe & Dr. Ron Davis for the interview. I know that your days are busy, thus the interview took time.

I have one very basic question and even though there was an address at the end of the interview, I want any money I contribute to go directly to Dr. Davis and his team. Kindly post the address, in writing so that we know exactly where the send the money for maximum benefit to us.

These interviews will be most helpful and I'm looking forward to more of them. I'm an older patient (age 75), female and I also have soaring blood pressure and glucose impairment, plus of course the usual expansion around the middle. I'm not complaining, but found that NO helping with blood pressure was a good thing to know.

I did like the interview, and yes Janet, you made it easier with the questions and Ron with his answers. I hope that Whitney is doing better. The address, please. Yours, Lenora

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Some of the piyruvate gets taken up into the I taconite shunt and just goes around and round in the shunt and is unavailable to the citric acid cycle.
Thanks, i'm trying to remember high school biology and how ATP is generated but my brain is not cooperating. And Wikipedia is too complicated, but i'm still trying.

Is there a specific metabolite that builds up or is deficient in the Itaconate pathway?

Janet Dafoe

Board Member
Hello @Janet Dafoe &

I have one very basic question and even though there was an address at the end of the interview, I want any money I contribute to go directly to Dr. Davis and his team. Kindly post the address, in writing so that we know exactly where the send the money for maximum benefit to us.

The address, please. Yours, Lenora

https://med.stanford.edu/sgtc.html

or OMF.ngo and specify it’s for Ron Davis’s research

Thank you so much! They couldn’t do this work without all these donations from patients, that’s for sure!

lenora

Thank-you, @Janet Dafoe.

For interested others, let me put the entire address if you've doing it via mail:

Dr. Ron Davis, Open Medicine Foundation
29302 Laro Drive,
Agoura Hills, CA 91301

Attn: Research into ME/CFS - Dr. Ron Davis

Oliver3

Itaconate Pathway - Called a Shunt, Interrupts citric acid cycle bleeds it off into other uses so it doesn't get into ATP, its for infection fighting. Makes you tired and low energy. What if it doesn't turn off?

Issue is its not in all cells. Have to look at RNA signatures. Assay for that RNA.

Looking for a way with modelling to lock it on, why is it blocked on?

Its interesting because we know ME/CFS patients don't burn glucose and fat very well but they do burn amino acids. This pathway would explain why these don't work well but amino acids do, because Co enzyme A being used for fats and glucose.

Excited that this may be the underlying cause/initial event.

Can happen in the brain as well and if so you burn glutimate and glutimane and these are neurotransmitters, very bad thing! Likely brain fog cause.

The solution may involve inhibiting Interferon Alpha or the reason why is that being produced. Could be an systemic viral or otherwise infection.

Too zonked to understand. Maybe this can add smthg?