Another update - DNA/RNA tech and viruses with Peidong Shen
- Itaconate pathway has to be on for a long time and it comes on when you have an infection so could have a persistent infection and look for that
- Peidong has developed Tech to look for viruses, multiplexing, can test multiple viruses in a single tub and even ways to combine patients but they wont be doing that
- Looked for herpes viruses and RNA
- Run herpes test on 50 patients, only occasional activation and its similar in healthy patients so doesn't look like that is the answer.
- Enteroviruses conserved RNA sequences. Done 20 samples none found in the blood. Could be somewhere else still. Going to pull contents of Whitney's stomach to look for them there.
- Also looking for Parasites not ready for big analysis yet. This will include trypanosomes and working on a test for that. One patient with Nematodes working on sequencing it and to probe it in others.
- Long Covid looks like ME/CFS, OMF got funding to look for activation of herpes viruses from Sweden via Jonas Bergquist . 20 samples they found EBV activated in 18, 2 negative looking at those again and will do herpes viruses too.
- Tech allows them to amplify genes, they replicate it over and over and they can then use conventional methods.
- Looking also into the BH4 pathway could be mutations in the gene or the control region for the gene. Maybe a low level of enzyme or defective gene looking into if its responsible for low BH4. Assays to look for BH4 levels too and other products.
- Tech should allow them to look for messenger enzymes in the Itaconate pathway. Looking for them in a patients muscle sample which is quite invasive.
- Possible herpes is activated but not replicating. Could just turn on 1 RNA segment so the body perceives an infection and would trigger the Itaconate pathway. Would explain why we can't find it, idea from Prusty to look for this.
- This is exciting because its probing whether the pathway is on and detecting why its on.
- In the past couldn't find any DNA viruses, gone past just looking for RNA viruses and now looking for segments.
- They will be looking for more RNA viruses.
- If they do find something and its responsible for the Interferon Alpha and Itaconate Shunt being on then they should be able to shut it off and Rob Phair will be talking about that in the future.
There is also a complete transcript with the video in its description if you want to read it.