• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rethinking Probiotics.

What about GutPro Probiotic it has:-

Bif Infantis
Lactobacilus Plantaurum
Bif Bifidum
Bif Longum
Lactobacillus Gasseri
Lactobacillus Salivarius

I have been pretty ill with trying probiotics that have raised histamine and the bloating last week really scared me I wonder sometimes does any probiotic do you good when sometimes you feel worse when you take the - I am at the point where I may just quit. I have Gut Pro Supplement in the house and last week order Therbiotic Metabolic Probiotic - could someone advise on this one please:-

Supplement Facts
Serving Size 1 Capsule
Amount Per Capsule % Daily Value

Probiotic Blend (25+ billion CFUs)
129 mg *
Lactobacillus acidophilus
Lactobacillus plantarum
Lactobacillus rhamnosus
Bifidobacterium lactis
Lactobacillus gasseri
Bifidobacterium breve
Bifidobacterium longum
* Daily value not established
Other Ingredients: Cellulose and vegetarian capsule (hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, water).

https://blueskyvitamin.com/ther-biotic-metabolic-formula-60vcaps-klaire-labs.html

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I have been pretty ill with trying probiotics that have raised histamine and the bloating last week really scared me I wonder sometimes does any probiotic do you good when sometimes you feel worse when you take the - I am at the point where I may just quit. I have Gut Pro Supplement in the house and last week order Therbiotic Metabolic Probiotic - could someone advise on this one please:-

Supplement Facts
Serving Size 1 Capsule
Amount Per Capsule % Daily Value

Probiotic Blend (25+ billion CFUs)
129 mg *
Lactobacillus acidophilus
Lactobacillus plantarum
Lactobacillus rhamnosus
Bifidobacterium lactis
Lactobacillus gasseri
Bifidobacterium breve
Bifidobacterium longum
* Daily value not established
Other Ingredients: Cellulose and vegetarian capsule (hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, water).

https://blueskyvitamin.com/ther-biotic-metabolic-formula-60vcaps-klaire-labs.html
If yu google each strain individually alongside the term histamine raising you will, with some effort find out if these strains are OK. the only probiotic I can take is D lactate free Custom probiotics - it only has histamine lowering or degrading strains. I have pretty bad MCAS and every other type I tried was a disaster.

http://www.optibacprobiotics.co.uk/faq/which-probiotic-for-histamine-intolerance

It's a nightmare what is MCAS - what happens if they lower histamine level too much I that dangerous. The D lactate free one is that the baby powder - I have that but didn't think it did much - what has the D lactate free one helped you with - bloating is my worst problem the Biokult last week had horrendous impact on me guess it was as I had taken it for a good couple weeks. I'm only now just feel I am returning to normal - sometimes probiotics make me have weird problems. Any recommend a good not too high with bacteria levels that reduces bloat and no histamine problems

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
It's a nightmare what is MCAS - what happens if they lower histamine level too much I that dangerous. The D lactate free one is that the baby powder - I have that but didn't think it did much - what has the D lactate free one helped you with - bloating is my worst problem the Biokult last week had horrendous impact on me guess it was as I had taken it for a good couple weeks. I'm only now just feel I am returning to normal - sometimes probiotics make me have weird problems. Any recommend a good not too high with bacteria levels that reduces bloat and no histamine problems
The one I recommended has no histamine problems. I took it at the same time as Rifaximin for intestinal Dysbiosis. What sort of diet do you eat?

Which one did you recommend - must have missed it as just found this post yesterday - I eat clean - veg, chicken, turkey, salmon avoid as much as I can the following - no sugar, no yeast, no dairy, no wheat, no gluten - as much as I can unless it is hidden. After last week I'm pretty scared of trying new probiotics - all I want is to get rid of the bloat does the one you recommend do this - I'm tired of having headaches, trouble breathing, pain in my lungs, puffy face etc. from having a probiotic that hasn't agreed with me - feel the last few weeks I've lost days because of trying different ones - even Metrogenics which only had acidophillis and bif bifidus in gave me problems - it's only the last couple of days I've started to feel a bit more normal.

Do you think this is a good one to take - is there anything in this that isn't good for histamine etc. Can someone please help me with getting rid of the bloat I am desperate and struggling now to find probiotics that help. The one I am taking at the moment has acidophillis and bif bifidum in but giving me histamine symptoms!

https://www.nutriadvanced.co.uk/probotix-daily-5-live.html

Each capsule typically contains:
Proprietary blend of bacteria including: 5 billion live organisms*
Bifidobacterium animalis ssp lactis LMG 18314
Bifidobacterium infantis LMG 25627
Lactobacillus acidophilus LMG 8151
Lactobacillus plantarum LMG 26654
Lactobacillus rhamnosus LMG 25626
*At date of expiry. Product can be stored at room temperature and does not need to be refrigerated.
Other ingredients:
Microcrystalline cellulose
Ascorbic acid
Capsule (hydroxypropyl methyl cellulose)

Timaca

I have a refrigerator full of probiotics that I've tried and could not continue to take for one reason or another. One thing that has helped me is Manuka Honey. Check it out on Amazon. It is expensive, but the cheaper brands (and strengths) are not any more expensive than many probiotics.

Best,

That seems to be me at the moment even old faithful the one I go back to is giving me headaches - tried custom pro infant powder that is giving me headaches and a bit of a racey heart - and stomach pains. How has manuka helped you - helped with bloating etc. and how do you take it and when.

Was going to try the gut pro supplement with l.leucine in but if it is the same as the infant powder bit nervous to try it now. What are people's thoughts on one above Probiotix-Daily 5 - it has absorbic acid - is this good or bad and will it make my bloat worse - I'm sick to death of the bloating now.

Does anyone think that sometimes probiotics make bloat worse and we should just not take them!

Timaca

The Manuka honey seems to have calmed my GI tract down. It is less irritable, less painful, and I have less bloat. My heartburn (which I have mildly all the time) also seems to be less.

I dissolve a small amount (probably a teaspoon) in a glass of water (room temperature) and drink it throughout the day.
Best,

Gondwanaland

I wonder if this is why some people don't tolerate LAB. Is this good or bad after all?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22676388
J Agric Food Chem. 2012 Jun 27;60(25):6369-75. doi: 10.1021/jf300410h. Epub 2012 Jun 15.
Improved bioavailability of dietary phenolic acids in whole grain barley and oat groat following fermentation with probiotic Lactobacillus acidophilus , Lactobacillus johnsonii , and Lactobacillus reuteri.
Hole AS1, Rud I, Grimmer S, Sigl S, Narvhus J, Sahlstrøm S.
Author information

Abstract
The aim of this study was to improve the bioavailability of the dietary phenolic acids in flours from whole grain barley and oat groat following fermentation with lactic acid bacteria (LAB) exhibiting high feruloyl esterase activity (FAE). The highest increase of free phenolic acids was observed after fermentation with three probiotic strains, Lactobacillus johnsonii LA1, Lactobacillus reuteri SD2112, and Lactobacillus acidophilus LA-5, with maximum increases from 2.55 to 69.91 μg g(-1) DM and from 4.13 to 109.42 μg g(-1) DM in whole grain barley and oat groat, respectively. Interestingly, higher amounts of bound phenolic acids were detected after both water treatment and LAB fermentation in whole grain barley, indicating higher bioaccessibility, whereas some decrease was detected in oat groat. To conclude, cereal fermentation with specific probiotic strains can lead to significant increase of free phenolic acids, thereby improving their bioavailability.
PMID: 22676388 DOI: 10.1021/jf300410h

Attachments

• PhenolicAcidsWholeGrains.pdf
    337.4 KB · Views: 13

Eastman

Which is the bet one for getting rid of bloat

I sometimes use L Plantarum 299v for bloating.

Does anyone think that sometimes probiotics make bloat worse and we should just not take them!

Yes. I sometimes get worse bloating with probiotics/fermented foods. It may be a matter of giving the gut microbiome time to adjust to the new probiotics.

I did try Alflorex Infantis which I think helped but I decided to try the Seeking Health ProBiota for people who have histamine issues - 4 strains of the bif probiotic, no acidophillis but it does have inulin as a prebiotic, leucine and some polysaccharides - not sure if this is going to create more problems or if it will help - nervous about the leucine, inulin and polysaccharides as I don't like added "bits" in and normally don't like prebiotics but read such good reviews thought I'd give it a go

Oci

I did try Alflorex Infantis which I think helped but I decided to try the Seeking Health ProBiota for people who have histamine issues - 4 strains of the bif probiotic, no acidophillis but it does have inulin as a prebiotic, leucine and some polysaccharides - not sure if this is going to create more problems or if it will help - nervous about the leucine, inulin and polysaccharides as I don't like added "bits" in and normally don't like prebiotics but read such good reviews thought I'd give it a go

Sorry Janet that I did not answer sooner. It sounds like you are really struggling with bloat and other issues. I have been looking at probiotics again the past few days as spring allergies are kicking in again. I had problems last year from beginning of April to November with very itchy eyes and non-stop runny nose.

My doctor who is very Holistic believes that a lot of allergy problems come from the gut. I agree in that many years I have little to no problem with seasonal allergies. I am really working at improving overall gut health....decrease amount of sugar in my diet and increase fiber I eat.

I have had done some gut poop tests in the past and there were some bad bacteria in there and always I have some candida show up. I am hoping that I can just increase the good bacteria and crowd out the bad as I don't do well with the weeding often recommended. I also get migraines from fermented foods and so have to be careful with probiotics too.

It sounds from an earlier post of yours that you feel better when off probiotics. Me too! However I have been taking Lactobif. It contains:

5 Billion CFU †
Composed of the following strains:
Lactobacillus acidophilus (La-14)
Bifidobacterium lactis (BI-04)
Lactobacillus rhamnosus (Lr-32)
Lactobacillus plantarum (Lp-115)
Bifidobacterium longum (BI-05)
Bifidobacterium breve (Bb-03)
Lactobacillus casei (Lc-11)
Lactobacillus salivarius (Ls-33)

I believe only one strain is histamine producing and several histamine degrading. I have been taking this one as I get bouts of oxalate dumping and this seems to prevent that. I may stop it and see if my itchy eyes etc improve and if I can stay clear of the oxalate problem.

I too am interested in the Seeking Health one you mentioned earlier. Please let me know if you try it.

Here are some of the notes I have compiled if they are of any use to you....

Bifido/Maximus Grace Liu....gut institute ……….histamine-free…….$100 US for 2 month supply....expensive
40% Bifidobacterium longum histamine reducing
20% Bifidobacterium lactis/ oxalate degrading
Bifidobacterium bifidum/
Bifidobacterium infantis histamine reducing
20% Lactobacillus rhamnosus (shown to down regulate histamine receptors and up-regulate anti-inflammatory agents) oxalate degrading
20% Lactobacillus salivarius
20% Lactobacillus gasseri

Lactobif $28.44 for 60 caps
Lactobacillus acidophilus (La-14) oxalate degrading
Bifidobacterium lactis (BI-04) oxalate degrading
Lactobacillus rhamnosus (Lr-32) (shown to down regulate histamine receptors and up-regulate anti-inflammatory agents) oxalate degrading
Lactobacillus plantarum (Lp-115) histamine reducing, oxalate degrading
Bifidobacterium longum (BI-05) histamine reducing
Bifidobacterium breve (Bb-03)
Lactobacillus casei (Lc-11) histamine producing
Lactobacillus salivarius (Ls-33)
……………………...
According to Dave Aspery, CEO of Bulletproof Executive, the following is true of these different studied probiotic strains:
1) Histamine producing bacteria: Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus reuteri, and Lactobacillus bulgaricus (Found in most yogurts and fermented foods).
2) Neutral bacteria: Streptococcus thermophiles (also in yogurt) and Lactobacillus rhamnosus (shown to down regulate histamine receptors and up-regulate anti-inflammatory agents)
3) Histamine degrading bacteria: Bifidobacterium infantis (found in breast milk), Bifidobacterium longum, Lactobacillus plantarum, and some soil-based organisms.

I have other lists of which probiotics are histamine promoting and which are degrading. I think they are probably taken from this thread!

Probiota Bifida - Seeking Health

Probiotic Blend (10+ billion CFUs) in a base of inulin (derived from chicory root) 280 mg **
Bifidobacterium bifidum 4+ billion CFUs **
Bifidobacterium longum 3+ billion CFUs **
Bifidobacterium lactis 2+ billion CFUs **
Bifidobacterium breve 1+ billion CFUs **
% DV (Daily Value) based on standard 2,000 calorie daily intake

I'm thinking that there may be more to your bloat/headache problem than just histamine. Have you had a CDSA test such as Genova or Doctor's Data? What is your diet like? Are you following a low histamine diet? Stress levels? Etc. These are the things I am looking at. I know that I generally feel worse taking probiotics especially larger doses. Certainly I have problems with eating a lot of fermented foods.

All the best! Oci

ChrisD

I have been using Bravo yogurt from the swiss protocol and during the day taking a lot of Psyllium husks and inulin fibre, in the hope that the bacteria will feed on the prebiotics in the gut and remain in place. SInce doing this, I have certainly slept better and had better energy and focus (marginally). The issue is that when I stop the probiotic, my symptoms come back..... any ideas??