• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Recent studies: how well do antihistamines and mast cell stabilizers help with COVID-19, long covid and vaccination reactions?

SWAlexander

A Google quick translation

Ingelheim (ots) - In severe cases of COVID-19, the immune system overreacts with an uncontrolled overproduction of inflammatory mediators, a so-called cytokine storm (Chen et al. , 2020). Mast cells play a key role in this. Mast cells belong to the white blood cells and are of particular importance for the non-specific immune defence.

Mast cells become active in response to contact with pathogens such as viruses, bacteria or parasites and allergens. They are found throughout the body in connective tissue, most commonly in the submucosa of the gut and airways. The multifunctional immune cells help to fight an infection by releasing numerous different substances such as inflammatory mediators, cytokines and histamine and by coordinating the immune system. It is precisely these substances that play a central role in COVID-19, COVID pneumonia and Long Covid. The activation of the mast cells is largely responsible for this. Controlling hyperactive mast cell responses is difficult. In addition to vital substances such as vitamin C, D, K2, quercetin or boswellia, antihistamines promise relief from COVID-19 and Long Covid.

The clinical studies Continue reading: https://www-ots-at.translate.goog/p..._sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Last edited:

vision blue

In general, we know that mast cells are essential immune component for life. I believe knock out mast cell mice dont live but dont remember much. Yet when people talk about immune system (and autoimmune disease). its always B cells and T cells. So i for one need a refresher courde to remind myself 1) what role to madt cells normally play in the immune system 2) how are they related/interact with the b abd t celks of the immune system 3) why do animals without mast cells quickly die and 4) what is the mechanism by which mast cells normally shut off. I do know about the allergen system thats a parasite fighter, so large internal invaders rather than small internal invaders like bacteria and viruses that other parts of immune system fights but im missing something that could be useful Have to go back to some good books i have on immune system

In addition to covid, makes sense why so many of us who both have overactive mast cells and chronic or recurrent viruses are stuck in this trap.

Last edited:

lenora

We wonder why it takes researchers so long to make progress? This is not simply a matter of one thing on/off, but an entire list of components into what is healthy and unhealthy. I wish all researchers, in every country, good fortune in making progress along the way. Yours, Lenora

SWAlexander

Rheumatological presentation of Bartonella koehlerae and Bartonella henselae bacteremias: A case report

Abstract

Introduction: Systemic Bartonella spp. infections are being increasingly reported in association with complex medical presentations. Individuals with frequent arthropod exposures or animal contact appear to be at risk for acquiring long standing infections with Bartonella spp.

Case report: This case report describes infections with Bartonella koehlerae and Bartonella henselae in a female veterinarian whose symptoms were predominantly rheumatologic in nature. Infection was confirmed by serology, polymerase chain reaction (PCR), enrichment blood culture, and DNA sequencing of amplified B koehlerae and B henselae DNA. Long-term medical management with antibiotics was required to achieve elimination of these infections and was accompanied by resolution of the patient's symptoms. Interestingly, the patient experienced substantial improvement in the acquired joint hypermobility mimicking Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (EDS) type III.

Conclusion: To facilitate early and directed medical interventions, systemic bartonellosis should potentially be considered as a differential diagnosis in patients with incalcitrant rheumatological symptoms and frequent arthropod exposures or extensive animal contact.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29703000/