• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Positive Borrelia miyamotoi detected - what is relapsing fever?

Phage Borrelia qPCR test showed Positive; B. miyamotoi detected. From what I read online this is a new test that is high specificity test nearly 100% accuracy (some sources says more than 92%).

What confused me is it says that Borellia miyamotoi is bacteria that causes relapsing fever. I don't totally understand what relapsing fever is. Sure I had some fevers in past 10 years probably from flue. How does relapsing fever differ from flue fever?

Pyrrhus

According to the Merck Manual:
https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/infectious-diseases/spirochetes/relapsing-fever
Merck Manual said:
Relapsing fever is a recurring febrile disease caused by several species of the spirochete Borrelia and transmitted by lice or ticks. Symptoms are recurrent febrile episodes with headache, myalgia, and vomiting lasting 3 to 5 days, separated by intervals of apparent recovery.

So "relapsing fever" just means that you get a flu-like fever for a couple days and then you seem to be fine for a while, until it happens again. It probably occurs more regularly than the actual flu, though.

Hope this helps.