• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ponderings and speculations about purinergic signaling, in pursuit of a unified ME/CFS theory

Violeta

@necessary8 , have you seen anything about the relationship between purinergic signalling and glutamate?

This paper talks about stress, purinergic signalling, and glutamate, and I can't read the whole paper so I am left wondering what exactly about stress is involved.

Here's one of the provided bulletpoints.

Stress is recognised to negatively affect glutamatergic signalling and glial function.

Purinergic modulation of glutamate transmission: An expanding role in stress-linked neuropathology​

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0149763418302008?via=ihub

Hope no one minds if I add this, if I don't put it here I'll never be able to find it again.

Is it possible adenosine would not dissipate in some people?

Adenosine seems to work by slowly building up in your blood when you are awake. This makes you drowsy. While you sleep, the chemical slowly dissipates.

Last edited:

Violeta

I've been reading about polygala tenuifolia, and look at this!

I am not sure yet how it does all this, but I'll keep reading and updating.

In Traditional Chinese Medicine, Polygala tenuifolia root is one of the most used herbs to support the brain and central nervous system. Traditionally it was often used to reduce forgetfulness and support brain performance during aging (i.e., it’s what we’d consider a nootropic today). It was also commonly used in formulas to support sleep and promote a calmer, more balanced mood. Preclinical research suggests it supports brain protection and repair processes and molecules (such as BDNF and NGF), counters chronic stress, supports sleep, and influences both adenosine signaling—a molecule involved in the sleep homeostatic drive—and GABA signaling—a neurotransmitter involved with relaxation at night and sleep.

"Cyclic adenosine monophosphate (AMP) phosphodiesterase inhibitors contained in Polygala tenuifolia WILLD. were identified as saponins and oleic acid."

"tenuifolia root extract contains the adenosine A 1 receptor antagonists"

Last edited:

SlamDancin

Polygala powder under the tongue is one of
The most noticeably helpful supplements. It’s a very weak benzodiazepine agonist but very helpful overall