• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poll: Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)

What was the result of your SIBO test?

• Positive, but they have used a different combination of solution and gases. Elaborate in the comment

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Negative, but they have used a different combination of solution and gases. Elaborate in the comment

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The question is based on this setup: Solution: Lactulose. Gases: Hydrogen and Methane. If you have only used one of these gases then the first two options still apply. However when using different gases and/or solution(s) then one have to pick the 'elaborate in the comments' option.

Positive means abnormal result.
Negative means normal result.

Votes can be changed.

Huge database of papers: https://www.siboinfo.com/studies.html

ACG Clinical Guideline: Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (2020)
Methanobrevibacter smithii appears to be the key methanogen responsible for breath methane production.
Excessive methane production cannot be caused by “bacterial” overgrowth, but is rather due to archaeal overgrowth, so the term IMO may be more appropriate than “SIBO”
The reason hydrogen has not correlated with symptoms clearly in clinical trial could be that hydrogen is consumed in the gut to produce methane and H2S gases. As such, measuring only methane and hydrogen produces an incomplete picture. Future studies are examining the role of measuring all 3 gases during breath testing

bertiedog

I just received the Trio smart home breath test kit. I will post the results here when I get them.

Its very expensive to order this test in the UK as you have to go through private clinics unfortunately. Last time I looked there were only 2 clinics where you could place an order and from memory I think it amount to about £350.

Pam

EddieB

Its very expensive to order this test in the UK as you have to go through private clinics unfortunately. Last time I looked there were only 2 clinics where you could place an order and from memory I think it amount to about £350.

Pam
It’s going to cost me $289 here in the US. Possibility of insurance reimbursement, but I doubt it.