• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poisoned Brain. Any treatments?

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
So far, fish oil pills (EPA/DHA) and boswellia seem to be the only things that take that swollen brain/brain stem feeling down in me. The fish oil pills seem to have worked the best out of the two though I did not try the boswellia more than twice.

Fish oils EPA/DPA help me with mood and some with motivation so I think it is helping my neurotransmitters in some way.

This website says that, "Boswellia serrata, commonly known as Frankincense, is an herb with significant anti-inflammatory effects..." and,

"Pre-clinical studies have shown that Boswellia extracts inhibit a broad range of inflammatory cytokines..."

yes. I too take fish oil, which I believe also helps with cholesterol. But it doesn’t really help me with “poisoned brain”.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Have you been checked for heavy metal at all? I know things like Alpha - Lipoic which mobilizes things like mercury from the brain make my swollen brain feel much worse.

Also have you considered sulfur/thiol sensitivity? Injesting anything from the sulfur/thiol families also make it worse for me. The late Andy Cutler talked a lot about these two conditions.

Wishful

I too take fish oil, which I believe also helps with cholesterol.

The last time I checked the peer-reviewed research on fishoil/omega-3 benefits, I found no significant benefits. The best benefits were possibly a few percent reduction in the risk of some types of heart disease after taking quite large amounts of omega-3 (not just one capsule/day). That's the equivalent of a few minutes of exercise. I'd rather walk a bit, and leave the poor little fishies swimming. :fish::fish::fish:

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
has Anybody had success with treating or minimizing the “poisoned brain” feeling we all seem to get?

A few easy things you can do. Short term earthing (sleeping grounded) improves sleep quality. Ask a psychologist to teach you depersonalization exercises if you have that.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I find folic acid reduces the headaches from severe to moderate. Not sure why but its rather inexpensive, though i use methylfolate now since i'm taking it long term. Both work the same
Might be homocysteine reduction related but i have no way to prove or disprove that.

Mary

Moderator Resource
has Anybody had success with treating or minimizing the “poisoned brain” feeling we all seem to get?
I used to get quite spacey, have trouble concentrating, and feeling sick and tired in general (apart from PEM), digestion off, when my body was overloaded with toxins. I think mercury played a large role in this. This rarely happens to me any more. It's a long story, but glycine, inositol and glutamine all played a role in reducing my toxic load and I believe they got my detox pathways working properly. If you'd like more information, let me know.

I used to get quite spacey, have trouble concentrating, and feeling sick and tired in general (apart from PEM), digestion off, when my body was overloaded with toxins. I think mercury played a large role in this. This rarely happens to me any more. It's a long story, but glycine, inositol and glutamine all played a role in reducing my toxic load and I believe they got my detox pathways working properly. If you'd like more information, let me know.
How'd you diagnose mercury toxicity? Was it from fillings/environmental or seafood?

Stretched

A few easy things you can do. Short term earthing (sleeping grounded) improves sleep quality. Ask a psychologist to teach you depersonalization exercises if you have that.
Anyone describe 'poisoned brain.’ I’m wondering if this a reference, i.e a synonym for brain fog which we all more or less understand; or does ‘poisoned’ imply some uniqueness , e.g. really bad case, constant, high amplitude or frequency, or comes and goes?) and 'grounded sleeping' (new term to me)?'

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
How'd you diagnose mercury toxicity? Was it from fillings/environmental or seafood?
@tedstark - sorry, I missed this alert before! I think it was primarily from fillings - I had 8 or 9 as a child. I had them removed in around 1997 but noticed no difference (this was right before I started having PEM). Anyways, whenever I would try anything that had cleansing or chelating properties, I'd get very spacey, tired, digestion would be off, etc., a definite detox reaction. I think I was re-toxing - just getting toxins moving out the cells and re-circulating and then getting re-deposited in my body. It never got better (even tried Andy Cutler's protocol) until I ended up working (very gradually) with glycine, inositol and glutamine.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
Anyone describe 'poisoned brain' (synonym for brain fog or a really bad case, e.g. constant, or comes and goes?) and 'grounded sleeping' (new term to me)?'

Brain fog is cognitive dysfunction (memory, etc).

Grounded sleeping. earthing.com
(just requires a static electricity wrist strap plugged into a good ground of electrical outlet).

Mary

Moderator Resource
Check into it, from good peer-reviewed papers, before spending money on it. The concept makes no sense to me in terms of physics. AFAIK, all grounding would affect is the static charge on the outside of your skin. That's basic physics.

You might find this interesting: Earthing: Health Implications of Reconnecting the Human Body to the Earth's Surface Electrons (nih.gov)
Earthing (Grounding) the Human Body Reduces Blood Viscosity—a Major Factor in Cardiovascular Disease (nih.gov)
Grounding after moderate eccentric contractions reduces muscle damage (nih.gov)
The Effects of Grounding (Earthing) on Bodyworkers' Pain and Overall Quality of Life: A Randomized Controlled Trial - PubMed (nih.gov)

Whether or not grounding would help with a poisoned brain feeling, I don't know, but one can try it for free!

You can do grounding in different ways. I found that when I sat outside (when the weather was warm enough) with my feet on cement (no grass or dirt where I live) I started sleeping better. Doing it at least for an hour a day worked the best and more was better.

I did try a special grounding sheet but noticed no difference, though I've read about people who said it did help them. I also tried a grounding wrist strap, but again, not much difference. But I had a very noticeable difference after sitting outside, bare feet on the cement, for at least an hour. Two half-hour sessions would also work.

I wish I could find a device which helped at night because often it is too cold to sit outside for any length of time with bare feet!

WantedAlive

@Craigbar I'm assuming inflammation is contributing to your 'poisoned brain' feeling, but I realise it may not be the sole cause. However, suppressing inflammation has helped many, it's just a matter of finding the right product that works for you. Naltrexone (low dose) worked well for me, but I recently discovered a surprisingly potent product Hesperidin Methyl Chalcone, which I explain in my recent post here: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...euro-anti-inflammatory-and-pain-relief.83643/

I have been consistently surprised by HMC, it gives me a crystal clear brain all day, it's been such a relief. I hope it can work for you too, recommend you follow the tips on how to use. Best of luck.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
Check into it, from good peer-reviewed papers, before spending money on it. The concept makes no sense to me in terms of physics. AFAIK, all grounding would affect is the static charge on the outside of your skin. That's basic physics.

Is there any solid research on grounding mats?

DRW: There is mounting evidence of the benefits of grounding mats. There are implications for sleep, biological clocks and rhythms, and hormone secretion.
It is well understood how electrons from antioxidants deactivate free radicals. We know these free radicals play a role in immune function, inflammation, and chronic disease.
A 2011 publication reported four different experiments examining grounding and its effect on human physiology. Electrolytes, thyroid hormone levels, glucose levels, and even immune response to immunizations improved with grounding.
6 Questions Answered About Grounding Mats (healthline.com)

WantedAlive

Do you have any tinnitis? And Does it seem to reduce any of that?
I do get tinnitus constantly, but either its not that bad or maybe its become the lesser of all other evils! So now that you ask, I can't say I've noticed sorry. I'll have to monitor next dose. I completely lost my hearing in my right ear for 3-4 days last year, stone deaf. Thankfully, never had that again since.

I don't want to 'oversell' HMC because I'm well aware it may not work for everyone, but for me its been quite astonishing. The most enjoyable aspect is a pain free neck and clear brain, from 20-30 minutes after taking it, the morning fog lifts, the clarity builds and stays that way all day. Such a relief! I can sit at a desk 4x longer without a problem. I've experimented with dosing between 250mg and 750mg, and frankly I find 250mg -300mg is adequate, 500mg is pretty potent. I'm really keen for others to experiment with this in case it has universal benefit, then maybe explore other chalcone derivatives (cumin? skullcap?), might work even better.