• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pain at ends of ribs after mild mechanical stress

Firstly I'm not officially diagnosed with EDS, definitly not hypermobile but do have fairly stretchy and noticeably smooth skin, (everyone who has touched me says this without fail). I don't have scarring issues and I don't bruise that easily.
I have col3a1 mutations, wide set eyes and I often feel tendon muscle pain for longer than the norm (I'm familiar with doms)
I have often felt tenderness at the very ends of my ribs,( 4 and 8 o clock) I have no pain in the rib itself, just the very very tip where I guess it connects to the back muscles.
I went go kart racing today 5 hours ago, something I've done for years without issue, except last time, 2 yrs ago, and there was mild pain for 3 weeks afterwards.

The exertion certainly wasn't much, I had some seat padding around my lower ribs so perhaps this is connective tissue due to back muscles working.

Right now it feels really hot and sore, really sore, I also have super sore feet, the tops of the metatarsals feel bruised and the plantar fascia at the sole of the foot, and the heel are sore.

So my question is, is this more of an ehlers danlos type complaint or a ME type complaint. Just looking for clues

keepontruckin

I would also look up the symptoms of lyme and co infections to rule this out. Sore ribs can be lyme and pain in bottom of feet could be bartonella.

lenora

Jjnz.....Hello. First off, it would be very helpful to know how old you are. Not because I have my nose in my everyone's business, it's just that certain things seem to show up at certain ages.

I also have rib problems and have had them for something like 34 years. I'm now 73 years now. In the beginning, I thought I'd never be able to live with them, and the nerve damage that was done to me at least 5 yrs. prior to that. Oddly enough, the pain was somewhat the same. Look up nerve pain and see if it fits into that at all.

I fell against a piano bench about 10-14 days ago, and I'm having a lot of pain. Now the pain in my abdomen is being taken seriously, while the back problem is anyone's guess. Or at least that's what I'm led to believe, or somewhere around there. I think for perhaps the first time, I've damaged and I found

Jjnz.....Hello. First off, it would be very helpful to know how old you are. Not because I have my nose in my everyone's business, it's just that certain things seem to show up at certain ages.

I also have rib problems and have had them for something like 34 years. I'm now 73 years now. In the beginning, I thought I'd never be able to live with them, and the nerve damage that was done to me at least 5 yrs. prior to that. Oddly enough, the pain was somewhat the same. Look up nerve pain and see if it fits into that at all.

I fell against a piano bench about 10-14 days ago, and I'm having a lot of pain. Now the pain in my abdomen is being taken seriously, while the back problem is anyone's guess. Or at least that's what I'm led to believe, or somewhere around there. I think for perhaps the first time, I've damaged and I found
49 yrs

lenora

Some ME patients are diagnosed with costochondritis, a painful inflammation of the rib-cage cartilage.

But I don't think this is common...

Hi Pyrrhus,

That's exactly what I have and yes, by darn, it is painful. For some reason, the winter mos. are

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Pyrrhus,

That's exactly what I have and yes, by darn, it is painful. For some reason, the winter mos. are
I've certainly had costochondritis in the centre of the chest before , this is different, this is specifically at the very tip of the bottom of the 2nd rib, on both sides, I'm certain in this case the muscle strain from keeping the body upright has been the exacerbater. Perhaps some if this is normal after doing torsional work with the torso, but the pin point pain certainly isn't. I wondered about fibro but this is the very very tip of the rib

lenora

HI@Pyrrhus, One would think I'm incapable of completing a sentence, I don't know what's wrong with either of these computers today. Well, I know what's wrong with one, it's on it's way back for repairs again this year, but the other....I have no explanation so will just stop now.

Yes, costochondritis is very painful, the winter's are worse b/c one always ends up with a cough of some sort or another and the ribs hurt horribly then. I've had this condition for well over 30 yrs. now and I'm always afraid that each winter will bring a new surprise. I do hope that @Jjnz manages to escape the worst of the rib problems, and yes, I'd say that 49 or so is about the right age to develop it. Just don't catch a cold or have an allergy attack. This year I thought I'd try one of the top to bottom snap (or whatever they're made of) back supporters. Since they also wrap around to the front, they should offer some protection there.

Guafenesin (not Mucinex) is an old treatment for ME. The idea behind it was to keep everything in the body liquified. It's great for allergies and if you get the generic it's very inexpensive (compared to Mucinex) and works just as well. Since most of us have problems with allergies as we age, it does save money unless you have fabulous insurance.

I hope you never need them, but those are a couple of ideas that will help you. Costochondritis is a great pain, literally especially and I hope these tips will help. Soaking in a warm tub with Epsom Salts is also a big help...we were just talking about that elsewhere, but it works for this also. Good luck, and no pain!!

Thanks@Pyrrhus. Yours Lenora.

lenora

@Jyoti.....Hello! I'm sorry to hear about your ribs. Ehler-Danlos has a number of problems that go along with it; one being that there are many different types of EDS that aren't really that at all, but are similar and often symptoms of another illness all together. If you have a GP, any doctor really, someone who could order an X-ray, you may get an idea of what's wrong. I would also pick up an extra copy (disc )of this x-ray and have it in your file. Also, you may find an Epsom Salt Bath or Soak (ES can be bought at any pharmacy or grocery store). This provides plenty of magnesium for the body and is a great natural healer.

I've noticed that more and more hospitals are making the tests results on the same day as the test itself. That's a big help as it saves a return trip. You can probably get the phone # of the radiology dept. from the person giving you the test. It's best to have it done while symptoms are showing. Take care...Yours, Lenora

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
@Jjnz - Hello again. Your pain almost sounds as if you were hit in the chest with something like a ball, is that possible? Try to think back....sometimes these things may take mos. to develop. Or a child grabbing you around that area, and squeezing perhaps a bit tighter than he should have. If you have any doubts, why not call your doctor and go for an X-ray? If you read above (what I said to Jyoti) the same info will also apply to your situation. Also, the Epsom Salt Bath (Soak) will provide your body with magnesium and that in itself may take care of a lot of the pain. Like I said before (to someone) nothing changes until you can get the inflammation down. Good luck.....Yours, Lenora.

Whether it's the beginning of something like costochondritis, I don't know, but I still think soaking in a hot tub with a Epsom Salts (any pharmacy or grocery store) help. Whatever it is, inflammation is involved and until you get rid of that you'll have pain. I can't give medical advice (not that I really know and it wouldn't be fair to you). Often the Doctor's appointment and the x-ray can be done on the same day. /"''';

Pyrrhus

Yes, costochondritis is very painful, the winter's are worse b/c one always ends up with a cough of some sort or another and the ribs hurt horribly then. I've had this condition for well over 30 yrs. now and I'm always afraid that each winter will bring a new surprise.

That sounds awful. I didn't know that costochondritis could be such a long-term condition.

Thanks for sharing!

lenora

That sounds awful. I didn't know that costochondritis could be such a long-term condition.

Thanks for sharing!
Hi Pyrrhus,

Yes, I have a chronic form of costochondritis, all four seasons see me with it. I always have to buy clothes to accommodate it, but the winter time is worst by far. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have allergies....but I do. Thanks. Yours, Lenora.

Tammy

Yes..........I've had the rib pain after VERY LITTLE exertion. It was extremely easy for me to strain..........any part of my body for that matter. I remember one time just leaning my body over the couch just to try and stretch my back. Just doing that put my ribs in pain for several weeks. It hurt to even take a breath. Fortunately I don't experience this much anymore and if I do, it is nothing like it used to be.

Last edited:

lenora

Yes..........I've had the rib pain after VERY LITTLE exertion. It was extremely easy for me to strain..........any part of my body for that matter. I remember one time just leaning my body over the couch just to try and stretch my back. Just doing that put my ribs in pain for several weeks. It hurt to even take a breath.

Yes, Tammy, it's a very special thing to have. It hurts like the dickens to cough and that's really tough when you have allergies and alway manage to be coughing over something. Mine never go away....probably b/c I have summer allergies also. Actually, we both do. Yours, Lenora.

Tammy

Yes, Tammy, it's a very special thing to have. It hurts like the dickens to cough and that's really tough when you have allergies and alway manage to be coughing over something
Yes.................just another special symptom on top of all the other special symptoms. Fortunately for me.........I don't experience this as much anymore and if it does happen, the strain and pain isn't as bad as it used to be.

Celandine

My son, who doesn't have ME, has had costochondritis on and off since he was about 12. He's 21 now. Last year he was in so much chest pain his roommates panicked and called an ambulance for him. Paramedics ruled out anything serious and left him. I suggested he go to an osteopath rather than a GP as GP would likely just prescribe painkillers. The osteopathy treatments (focused on mobilising the spine rather than anything directly on the ribs) and the exercises he was given helped loads. Took a couple months to really improve--was worse before better--but it's been good for a while now. If he feels a twinge he goes through the exercises for a couple weeks and that seems to keep it under control.

My daughter, who does have ME, also had a lot of rib pain. Her ME has improved dramatically over the last 18 months and so has the rib pain. I haven't heard her complain about it for a long time now. Not sure if hers was costochondritis or something else.

All this is probably not much help to you @Jjnz. Hope you find a solution.

lenora

Hello Celandine....Yes, it's interesting b/c I do see an Osteopath and need to begin seeing her regularly once again. Unfortunately I have scoliosis which is not good for the rib situation. Actually, I'm wondering about getting a brace or something to go from under the l. breast to the hip to help accommodate the pain of this. Numerous falls over the past year have been hard on my back. I'm supposed to see a myofascial therapist (PT) ASAP, and I'm working on getting the inflammation down and sharp pains to lessen. I want to walk without tripping again....it would be nice. `

I'll also tell you about something that has helped me immensely, especially when I'm having a day like your son did. When I leave the hospital (and I was there 8 times this past year alone), all for different serious conditions, I took my VOLDYNE home with me. You know the clear plastic with bright blue apparatus the respiratory therapist has you use to measure your respiratory volume. I've found that inhaling with that will help the ribs move back into place. I'm sure one could be purchased at a medical supply store. Who knows, it may help your daughter, also. If I start coughing, the costochondritis is sure to follow....I've had colds the past two years and then allergies can also cause coughing. I don't know if you're aware of how they can affect the rib situation, but am sure you are.

Did they ever find out a reason for your son's problem? Your daughter's too, for that matter? It's a painful condition and after you've been through it a few times the symptoms are rather identical. I can see where your son was thought to be having a heart attack. I always feel very sorry for anyone recovering (?) from broken ribs from an accident, etc. Good luck with the ailments your children suffer. Yours, Lenora.

Celandine

Thank you @lenora for the tips. I'll pass them on. I don't think in either of their cases it's a situation where the ribs have moved out of place. It seems more like inflammation. Although, having said that, my daughter is a little hypermobile in a few joints, so I guess something like that could have been going on with her ribs. No idea with my son. He does skateboard a lot and has had many many falls over the years. The osteopathy really does seem to have helped him a lot.

I imagine with scoliosis so much of the body starts to misalign and either end up compensating or end up in pain.

I came across this about Slipping Rib Syndrome a while back and saved the link. Could be helpful for someone reading this topic--
https://www.healthline.com/health/slipping-rib-syndrome