• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Overmethylation? Methylfolate side effects

I genuinely think it’s mutated into Huntington’s from a build up of too much glutamate from the folate. I have so many of the symptoms. :/ absolutely terrifying.

Crux

There are many neurodegenerative conditions that are associated with brain iron accumulation. That would include Huntington's disease.
https://huntingtonsdiseasenews.com/...y-promote-huntingtons-disease-study-suggests/

Nitric oxide can become the toxic free radical , peroxinitrite from the Fenton reaction, where free iron will bond with hydrogen peroxide. This may be part of the neurodegenerative process that makes us so ill.

BTW, glutamate can increase brain iron.

https://www.omicsonline.org/open-ac...ion-mechanism-2157-7609-1000190.php?aid=61528

My best guess is I seem to have an excess of glutamate combined with B6 deficiency running in parallel from what I can figure. Folate caused glutamate to build up and I also didn’t have enough B6.
I can eat things at the moment with tryptophan in without an issue hence the bananas, potato chips and salmon but anything else is sending me into an anxious jittery state. I’m not sure if this is a temporary state I can fix by lowering or stabilising the glutamate and fixing B6 or not.

prioris

you can buy box of nitric oxide test strips on line
i did not know b12 inhibited production ... interesting

Crux

There's some controversy about whether salivary nitrates correlate with nitric oxide levels, but it would be interesting to test when I'm having pain.

B12 used to keep my neuropathy away when I took 15-20 mgs. daily. These last couple of years, I've been taking 1 mg. or so. Probably will increase because I keep accidentally finding herbs or supps. that increase NO.

I don’t think this is going to end well for me. Seems like I’ve completely rewired my brain in the worst possible way. Excess glutamate is literally a killer :( But thanks so much for all your advice.

CT scan and Lumbar Punch clear. Docs washed hands of me in that case.
However this reaction is pretty severe. I just have to put something in my mouth not even swallow it and it either revs me up or brings me down or regulates me. This is absolutely insane. It sounds exactly like I have brain damage.

andyguitar

The possibility you have Huntingtons is near enough zero. If the CT Scan and Lumbar puncture were negative then that is a positive sign. You cant 'completely rewire your brain'. If you are getting a strange reaction just by putting something in your mouth then the possibility is very small that it is effecting you in a physical way. It sounds like you are in a state of high anxiety. Fear feeds on it's self. If you were found to be ok by a medical doctor and you are still able to function, brain damage is not likely.

I was just about to write a follow up saying I’m so sorry for my worrying posts - it had sent me truly psychotic. I was literally one step from being sectioned. The reaction in my head felt incredibly real. I didn’t sleep for 5 days straight. I am finally back to normal. I truly wasn’t myself at all. And it all felt very permanent like it was going to kill me. Terrifying experience. I wanted to throw myself off my balcony at one point. My pupils were permanently dilated and I couldn’t sit still.
Never again.!!

Well thought that was the end of it but started back up again Thursday night :( I dunno what to do I’m in hell with this. At doctors to ask for some kind of meds.

andyguitar

If you have'nt already done so, I suggest you make a point of asking the Doctor that is treating your thyroid disorder if your symptoms might be connected to thyroid function or the medicine you are taking for it. Not sleeping for a long spell can do some very strange things to people. Can seriously mess your head up. It sounds like you have had what could be described as a manic episode. Nothing to be ashamed of. Met a few people over the years who have had this sort of thing happen. Fairly easy to treat as its just a chemical imbalance. It does'nt mean you are mad. Might well be a one off. Good luck.

If you have'nt already done so, I suggest you make a point of asking the Doctor that is treating your thyroid disorder if your symptoms might be connected to thyroid function or the medicine you are taking for it. Not sleeping for a long spell can do some very strange things to people. Can seriously mess your head up. It sounds like you have had what could be described as a manic episode. Nothing to be ashamed of. Met a few people over the years who have had this sort of thing happen. Fairly easy to treat as its just a chemical imbalance. It does'nt mean you are mad. Might well be a one off. Good luck.

Thanks I am testing my thyroid this week as I remember last time I was overmedicated I struggled to sleep. This just feels so much worse and all kicked off after taking the methylfolate. It also did this to me before a while ago where I didn’t sleep and couldn’t sit still but when I stopped it it stopped.
I’ve read that it can effect people in strange ways with insomnia, anxiety and make them do crazy things even destroying cars and getting put in jail but I’m just not sure if it would be carrying on like this and for this long. I really hope it is my thyroid function to blame at this point. Because I’m struggling to know what it is. I wasn’t like this at all before I took it but my balance could be upset somehow and in some way.

have you tried the supplements
I tried the taurine which in a small dose seemed ok in a larger dose just stimulated me. The mag I tried yesterday.
I think foods seem to be ok now. Wednesday I was fine I even fell asleep naturally to start with but I had skipped my thyroid meds for a few days whilst I was in hospital and then Thursday I was back to being too stimulated again. It’s like it’s given me an anxiety disorder. I really hope my thyroid meds need adjusting because otherwise I don’t know what’s what. They tested my B6 in hospital.

Feel like I’ve pushed past the bell curve here and I’m never going to get normal again now! Reading all this stuff about folate causing messed up reactions in the body I have no idea how to put it all right :(

It sounds like it’s to do with the genes I have and I’ve switched them on some how. I never had issues this bad before and taking too much folate has spun the wheels too fast. I just did an Epsom salts bath and now I can taste sulfur all down my mouth. I’ve seriously destroyed myself. I’ve never had issues with foods or products and I’ve never gone mad with psychosis. I’m going to have to try to seek out a pro to help me out of this. :( This is absolutely ridiculous all from one dose! Yes I had a reaction before but it went away lord knows what I’ve done now I’ve reset all my bodies chemistry. This shouldn’t even be a thing you can do with a simple supplement.

andyguitar

The possibility that you have some how altered your genes with a supplement is really very,very unlikely. From reading your posts it is clear that sometimes you feel ok. If you had altered your genes or 'Reset' your body's chemistry you would feel strange all the time. This is starting to sound more like a thyroid problem than anything else. It is possible that a supplement (not just folate) has effected your thyroid meds. OR the folate may have nothing to do with this. Just a coincidence.

The possibility that you have some how altered your genes with a supplement is really very,very unlikely. From reading your posts it is clear that sometimes you feel ok. If you had altered your genes or 'Reset' your body's chemistry you would feel strange all the time. This is starting to sound more like a thyroid problem than anything else. It is possible that a supplement (not just folate) has effected your thyroid meds. OR the folate may have nothing to do with this. Just a coincidence.

I know what you’re saying. I wouldn’t believe it could do this because it sounds absolutely mad. It is confusing me how I am feeling ok sometimes but that also reassures me maybe it isn’t permanent.
I took it two weeks ago and instantly had a reaction it gave me worse body pains but it all seemed to settle down - I felt normal - then it turned into crazy anxiety that to which I’ve never experienced before.
I don’t understand MTHFR or genetics or stuff but it sounds like it’s reacted with me negatively. The side effects are insomnia anxiety body pains etc. Indeed I’ve seen people have been effected by it even on these forums and for the worst driving their anxiety or giving them physical pains or problems which linger for weeks or months or never leave. Stories of people taking it for a week and being left with problems they never had before.
I’m usually a very calm sane rational person and folate is the only thing I did differently and I’ve been in a tailspin ever since. I’m just worried it isn’t stopping completely but trying to seek reassurance that occasionally I don’t feel as bad.

prioris

the first step is getting to sleep ... that's first step in healing ... so you don't have sleep problems anymore i assume

taking thyroid medicine throws a monkey wrench into everything
your objective should be to ween yourself off them ... you should look into autoimmune diet

something you should look into ... she has helped many people come off their thyroid medicine ... see her books

facebook ... Welcome to The Myers Way® Community! This is a group to SUPPORT, EMPOWER, and MOTIVATE you as you overcome autoimmune disease, Hashimoto's, Graves, thyroid conditions, Candida overgrowth, gut issues, and other chronic health concerns. I'm Amy Myers MD, the New York Times bestselling author of The Autoimmune Solution and The Thyroid Connection.

the first step is getting to sleep ... that's first step in healing ... so you don't have sleep problems anymore i assume

taking thyroid medicine throws a monkey wrench into everything
your objective should be to ween yourself off them ... you should look into autoimmune diet

something you should look into ... she has helped many people come off their thyroid medicine ... see her books

facebook ... Welcome to The Myers Way® Community! This is a group to SUPPORT, EMPOWER, and MOTIVATE you as you overcome autoimmune disease, Hashimoto's, Graves, thyroid conditions, Candida overgrowth, gut issues, and other chronic health concerns. I'm Amy Myers MD, the New York Times bestselling author of The Autoimmune Solution and The Thyroid Connection.
My GP gave me Valium and Zopiclone because I was in a highly stressed and anxious state and could not sleep at all. I’ve been on AIP before but lost too much weight.
Is this reaction ever likely to end now or am I seriously screwed up? Is this a time thing way I wait or do I need to intervene here? I don’t know whether to seek out a practitioner or wait this out.
It feels like it all comes and goes. Wednesday night again I thought I was fine.... Thursday evening again set off.