• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Overmethylation? Methylfolate side effects

just realize that glutathione will create more methylation so be careful.
i think undermethylated people may benefit.
i take either tudca or ultrathistle for me liver. that is suppose to increase glutathione so i maybe do it indirectly.
Thanks I’ll lay off that and try the other things first in that case. Do you think I’m safe to continue with hydroxo B12?

Well the valerian made me sleepy for about 10 minutes now I’m wired again. :/ got to wait until Tuesday for my supplements

prioris

Well the valerian made me sleepy for about 10 minutes now I’m wired again. :/ got to wait until Tuesday for my supplements

i tried valerian many decades ago ... kind of the same reaction ... well hopefully the suggested supplements help you

i tried valerian many decades ago ... kind of the same reaction ... well hopefully the suggested supplements help you
This is to do with all my neurotransmitters being out of whack now right? Fingers crossed they help thanks a lot for suggesting them. Does this kind of thing disappear by itself eventually?

prioris

This is to do with all my neurotransmitters being out of whack now right? Fingers crossed they help thanks a lot for suggesting them. Does this kind of thing disappear by itself eventually?

words like "wired" and "jittery" ring with you, there is a good chance ... words like "neurotransmitter" usually lead to no solutions. some people get overloaded with serotonin if they take certain antidepressants.

taurine is preventative so taken to block NMDA glutamate receptors to prevent the anxiety from happening ... take it when you wake up and sometime before you go to bed on empty stomach ... there is a lot of glutamate in brain and that gets stuck on receptors .... glutamate is excitatory ... this will keep you revved up if it get stuck on receptors

magnesium threorate will target the neuron sodium pump and NMDA too ... this will help you sleep ... you will feel this

lithium orotate will target the neuron sodium pump too ... some people feel it very quickly ... doesn't take long to get to brain... Dr Yasko has found many of her patients are deficient in lithium ... see if it makes any difference ... this will make have better tolerance to methylation if you are deficient

i would stay away from b12 and folate or any b vitamins until you stabilize with above

we don't know what your specific problems (overloaded with glutamate, lithium deficiency, pump problems) are but these supplements should help you untangle things over time

words like "wired" and "jittery" ring with you, there is a good chance ... words like "neurotransmitter" usually lead to no solutions. some people get overloaded with serotonin if they take certain antidepressants.

taurine is preventative so taken to block NMDA glutamate receptors to prevent the anxiety from happening ... take it when you wake up and sometime before you go to bed on empty stomach ... there is a lot of glutamate in brain and that gets stuck on receptors .... glutamate is excitatory ... this will keep you revved up if it get stuck on receptors

magnesium threorate will target the neuron sodium pump and NMDA too ... this will help you sleep ... you will feel this

lithium orotate will target the neuron sodium pump too ... some people feel it very quickly ... doesn't take long to get to brain... Dr Yasko has found many of her patients are deficient in lithium ... see if it makes any difference ... this will make have better tolerance to methylation if you are deficient

i would stay away from b12 and folate or any b vitamins until you stabilize with above

we don't know what your specific problems (overloaded with glutamate, lithium deficiency, pump problems) are but these supplements should help you untangle things over time

Thank you. Am I in deep trouble here?
It’s kind of sounding that way.

Thank you. Am I in deep trouble here?
It’s kind of sounding that way.

sorry was that to mean good chance it’ll go away or good chance it’s neurotransmitters and I’m a bit stuffed? Lol

prioris

good chance you will resolve problem
if you research lithium, they will say it balances neurotransmitters ...
but i think it actually addresses dysfunctional neuron sodium pump

good chance you will resolve problem
if you research lithium, they will say it balances neurotransmitters ...
but i think it actually addresses dysfunctional neuron sodium pump
Thank you. Balance is what I need. Haven’t slept in 48 hours now. Completely wired.
Do you know if methylfolate could cause serotonin syndrome?

Hmm I think it makes sense my gaba and glutamate is the issue here. Niacin seems to help and I believe that can remove glutamate. Plus the foods I’m reacting to and the fact valerian helped a tiny bit (promotes gaba). So I just need to hit on the right formulation of things maybe. Here’s hoping I need some sleep.

prioris

Hmm I think it makes sense my gaba and glutamate is the issue here. Niacin seems to help and I believe that can remove glutamate. Plus the foods I’m reacting to and the fact valerian helped a tiny bit (promotes gaba). So I just need to hit on the right formulation of things maybe. Here’s hoping I need some sleep.

valerian is for people who have very slight or temporary problem where it tips the balance ... i don't like tranquilizing effect

I forgot about gaba ... that's another supplement that you could dabble with ... I would use PharmaGABA brand ... it's suppose to be better form of gaba ... for me, it was useless

the problem i have with gaba is that one is competing with the glutamate .,.. i'd rather just block the doorway glutamate comes thru than compete with amount ...

Taurine is an agonist of (activates) GABA receptors. The researchers added a GABA receptor antagonist to the cultured neurons treated with amyloid beta and taurine. They found that the GABA antagonist abolished the protective effects of taurine, confirming that the taurine protection was due to its activation of GABA receptors.

I think I’m severely screwed up at the minute and honestly not seeing how I can correct all this. I’m in over my head and no doctor here is going to understand all this. Functional docs just give out folate like sweets! I’ve just had to warn a friend off it. Had her on 5mg and she wasn’t sleeping!
I’m showing all the signs of B6 deficiency now (scaly face rash, mouth problems) and every food I eat is revving me up practically. Got away with bananas and potatoes but vegetable soup cranked me right up.
I’ve been too afraid to eat much and take many supplements. Can’t believe how bad this seems to have gotten I really don’t get it. Friday it felt like it was completely over and settled. Makes no sense to me. It’s sounding pretty likely I’m going to have to intervene somehow with supplements myself. What do you think my best bet is to take first?
My supplements should come tomorrow. I’m hoping for some sleep. :(

andyguitar

If the scaly face rash and mouth problems have only just appeared it is unlikley to be a B6 deficiency. Takes a while to get that. Those symptoms could be caused by lots of things. I suggest taking only what a medical Doctor has suggested you take. I am assuming your thyroid problem was diagnosed by one???

If the scaly face rash and mouth problems have only just appeared it is unlikley to be a B6 deficiency. Takes a while to get that. Those symptoms could be caused by lots of things. I suggest taking only what a medical Doctor has suggested you take. I am assuming your thyroid problem was diagnosed by one???
My skin has been getting bad for a little while but seems way worse today.
It was yes. I have an appointment with a haematologist on Wednesday but there’s no way he’s going to understand all this. The functional med doctor said it was a detox reaction. Doesn’t feel like that feels like I’m messed up!

I’m honestly terrified I’ve somehow mutated a gene and got Huntington’s disease it sounds like I’ve got brain cell death.

Crux

There's a chance that the folate caused these side effects because it increases the production of nitric oxide, a gas.

Nitric oxide is good for many functions, but too much can be toxic .

Excess nitric oxide is implicated in migraine headache, and numerous neurodegenerative diseases. Even anxiety, depression, bipolar conditions are associated with it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6303682/

There are so many substances that increase nitric oxide production : Probiotics, Omega 3, vitamin C, vitamin D, amino acids such as arginine and citrulline, etc.

The body will produce nitric oxide to fight infection.

Fortunately, B12 is a good inhibitor of nitric oxide production. Even ibuprofen inhibits it somewhat. Riboflavin and melatonin are inhibitors.

Excess nitric oxide interferes with serotonin production in animal testing. That may be one cause of pain and insomnia.

Last edited: