• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Overmethylation? Methylfolate side effects

Hi all.

Just trying to figure out what I’ve done to myself basically. So long story short I used to take 400mcg methylfolate and did completely fine on it for a long time. I would pulse dose and take on alternate days. It kept my folate at a good level and didn’t have any side effects. Unfortunately I was unaware just how potent it is and how it isn’t really like a normal supplement and isn’t just “peed out”.

I got some very bad advice to increase my dosage recently and I built it up to 1mg that’s where things got bad...

It sent me jittery and restless and I didn’t sleep. I then developed body aches and pains - muscle and joint. It was horrendous. So I quit taking it and it all seemed to settle by itself. Fine you think lucky escape there.

Stupidly a month later I tried again thinking 400 never hurt me before that must be my safe dose. I was very wrong.

I took 400mcg last week (Friday) and I’m still feeling the effects now it just seems to be going on and on.

I got muscle and joint pains (also my joints keep clicking). My tongue burns. But I also keep feeling like I’m being ramped up every now and again like I’m being charged (plus palpitations).

I’ve since realised a few things. I have much more folate in my diet than I ever did before. It’s likely I no longer have such a need for it. I had unwittingly used a product containing folic acid at the same time (never taken any folic before) and unsure what that’s done to me also.

I inject hydroxo B12 a few times a week as I have pernicious anaemia. The hydroxo helped with some of the mfolate side effects (sulfur smelling stools) but hasn’t done much else.

I’ve decided to stop folate foods and coffee to see if that helps bring me down.

I did pop two niacin Wednesday night which seemed to help a bit (made me sleepier/felt quite soothing).

I’ve woken up this morning still feeling a bit out of it really body feels sore and like I now have a cold. The pains still keep coming.

Yesterday I had an insatiable thirst and felt very hot.

I’m just at a loss on what to do now. I don’t like keep taking supplements as I don’t know whether I’ll make things worse. Last time this all settled by itself. Is it likely it will again or have I done something more permanent? I’m worried how long it seems to be lasting. I could keep trying the niacin as I’ve been conservative with it so far and only used it twice.

mattie

I would definitely keep taking niacin once or twice daily until symptoms resolve. (not the no-flush stuff, but plain niacin).
As it has already shown to calm things down a bit for you.
But do not take that as medical advice. Consult your GP if things get worse.

Last edited:

Pyrrhus

I took 400mcg last week (Friday) and I’m still feeling the effects now it just seems to be going on and on.

It is very common to get these “start-up” effects when you start or re-start methylfolate. I know that these “start-up” effects can be scary. After a while, these effects will eventually go away. 400mcg per day is the standard dose. I see no good reason to exceed that dose.

I did pop two niacin Wednesday night which seemed to help a bit (made me sleepier/felt quite soothing)

I hope you are taking the other B vitamins, along with methylfolate and hydroxo-B12. All the B vitamins are needed to work together. I personally recommend this B multivitamin, along with your methylfolate and hydroxo-B12:
https://www.seekinghealth.com/b-minus-100-capsules

It is very common to get these “start-up” effects when you start or re-start methylfolate. I know that these “start-up” effects can be scary. After a while, these effects will eventually go away. 400mcg per day is the standard dose. I see no good reason to exceed that dose.

Yes I wish I hadn’t have listened to advice to up it. There really was no need. It seems not many people and indeed functional med doctors know what they’re doing with this. I had no issues at all until this advice.

I hope you are taking the other B vitamins, along with methylfolate and hydroxo-B12. All the B vitamins are needed to work together. I personally recommend this B multivitamin, along with your methylfolate and hydroxo-B12:
https://www.seekinghealth.com/b-minus-100-capsules

Thank you for that I was struggling to find anything suitable in a multi.

I would definitely keep taking niacin once or twice daily until symptoms resolve. (not the no-flush stuff, but plain niacin).
As it has already shown to calm things down a bit for you.
But do not take that as medical advice. Consult your GP if things get worse.
Thanks of course wouldn’t take as medical advice :)

prioris

If your getting jittery, it clearly means your in an overmethylated state. Listen to your body and back off the methylated supplements. I would use adenosylcobalamin if you still want to take b12 because you are benefiting in some way. It will also absorb some methylation. Besides niacin, I have heard that glycine also absorbs methylation. If you do attempt to take methylb12 again, i'd use very low dose. It may be that your body drifts back and forth from overmethylated to normal.

Last edited:
I seemed to feel a little better last night and thought it was all over again this morning seemed better until I ate some fruit and it seems to have set it off again. :(

I would suggest being careful with what you take @Ejenny if you have had what maybe an adverse reaction to methylfolate as it might alter the levels of Serotonin and other neurotransmitters in a way which is harmful.

Thanks I have read about this now and won’t be taking it again. It seems it’s poorly understood and I was assured I would just pee out excess. I hope this hasn’t caused long term effects. I seem to have come back down again. I certainly wouldn’t take any more. How would I know if it’s effected neurotransmitters is there a test or any symptoms to watch out for? Is this likely to happen now I’ve ceased all use?

andyguitar

Yes @Ejenny like many things it could be described as 'poorly understood'. Probably a waste of time trying to test the levels of neurotransmitters as it's not just the level in general, it's where the level has risen or fallen that counts. If you have had an adverse effect it will wear off but questions about what the effect might be and how long it would last are impossible to answer. As you and many others have found out just because something is a supplement does not mean it is safe. You don't sound to bad so keep your worries about it at a low level.

Yes @Ejenny like many things it could be described as 'poorly understood'. Probably a waste of time trying to test the levels of neurotransmitters as it's not just the level in general, it's where the level has risen or fallen that counts. If you have had an adverse effect it will wear off but questions about what the effect might be and how long it would last are impossible to answer. As you and many others have found out just because something is a supplement does not mean it is safe. You don't sound to bad so keep your worries about it at a low level.
Thank you I’ve really learnt my lesson here. The body pains seem to have ceased and I feel less dry and thirsty today. I really felt like it had stopped last night but then got the jittery feeling again today. Perhaps it’s a good sign the rest of the stuff is not as bad though and the jitters are coming and going. I just hope it goes completely in time! I won’t be touching it again that’s for sure. I had no idea. Now I’ve read a bit I understand it isn’t your run of the mill supplement and I certainly won’t be messing with something like this without a doctor that seems to understand it very well! Scary that they give out supplements like this and advice saying it’ll just be peed out. :/

prioris

some fruits can have high potassium. potassium is an excitatory ... as far as doctors understanding it well ... they are not taught to understand these things ... you have to be the detective ... doctor in general won't know sh......

some fruits can have high potassium. potassium is an excitatory ... as far as doctors understanding it well ... they are not taught to understand these things ... you have to be the detective ... doctor in general won't know sh......
It was after eating strawberries so I was concerned about the folate content. I still keep feeling “revved up” like I can’t sit still on and off but the body pains have disappeared. Bit concerned about this though. Don’t know whether to just do nothing and hope it goes off.

prioris

It was after eating strawberries so I was concerned about the folate content. I still keep feeling “revved up” like I can’t sit still on and off but the body pains have disappeared. Bit concerned about this though. Don’t know whether to just do nothing and hope it goes off.

strawberry is one of the most pesticide contaminated fruits... until things stabilize i'd stay away from those .

as far as revved up ... i've experienced that for a long time but i manage it very well without problems ... you may be experiencing anxiety ... "wired and tired" ... taurine 2000mg 2xday, magnesium theorate (magtein) 3 capsules and maybe some even some lithium orotate... these will calm things down ... take on empty stomach ... minimize excitatory stuff ... you should always keep these supplements on hand ... minimize glutamine and glutamate foods because they are both excitatory ... the neuron pumps and NMDA system are dysfunctional and these supplements will address those

strawberry is one of the most pesticide contaminated fruits... until things stabilize i'd stay away from those .

as far as revved up ... i've experienced that for a long time but i manage it very well without problems ... you may be experiencing anxiety ... "wired and tired" ... taurine 2000mg 2xday, magnesium theorate (magtein) 3 capsules and maybe some even some lithium orotate... these will calm things down ... take on empty stomach ... minimize excitatory stuff ... you should always keep these supplements on hand ... minimize glutamine and glutamate foods because they are both excitatory ... the neuron pumps and NMDA system are dysfunctional and these supplements will address those

Thank you. I’m finding it odd how I keep getting revved. It all seemed to stop Friday and now back again after breakfast. Finding it hard to know what to eat!
So those supplements should calm me down a bit then? Would I just use them temporarily?

prioris

Thank you. I’m finding it odd how I keep getting revved. It all seemed to stop Friday and now back again after breakfast. Finding it hard to know what to eat!
So those supplements should calm me down a bit then? Would I just use them temporarily?

yes ... you can. you play it by ear... they are tools you have in your tool chest ... you experiment with them too

I feel severely dehydrated and very hot again :( think a trip to the hospital may be in order. Maybe it isn’t just this that’s doing it.

Are we sure these effects wear off? Getting pretty scared here I seem to have disrupted the natural order of things with my gaba and glutamate. That can’t be good.

yes ... you can. you play it by ear... they are tools you have in your tool chest ... you experiment with them too
I’ve ordered the things you’ve said so thanks a lot for your help. Ordered an old supplement I took for sleep that has some B’s in, lemon balm, l-taurine. Hoping I can swing this back around a bit. Seems when I inadvertently eat a food it revs me back up. I’ve taken valerian tonight as supposedly can help.
Have you heard of Ben Lynch’s glutathione recommendation for rebalancing and reversing oxidative stress? Ordered that one too.
Goodness I knew about none of this a few nights a go!

prioris

I’ve ordered the things you’ve said so thanks a lot for your help. Ordered an old supplement I took for sleep that has some B’s in, lemon balm, l-taurine. Hoping I can swing this back around a bit. Seems when I inadvertently eat a food it revs me back up. I’ve taken valerian tonight as supposedly can help.
Have you heard of Ben Lynch’s glutathione recommendation for rebalancing and reversing oxidative stress? Ordered that one too.
Goodness I knew about none of this a few nights a go!

just realize that glutathione will create more methylation so be careful.
i think undermethylated people may benefit.
i take either tudca or ultrathistle for me liver. that is suppose to increase glutathione so i maybe do it indirectly.