• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NICOTINAMIDE MONONUCLEOTIDE - NMN

Learner1

NMN is definitely useful. I take 125-187mg daily. @bertiedog my apologies for missing this thread earlier, but the NR folks, who profit from their high priced product, are very aggressive about slamming NMN and NAD+.

I've found NR Does absolutely nothing for me, I think because of a mutation on NMRK1 and 2, but NMN and NAD+ are both effective for me .
Entrez Gene Summary for NMRK1 Gene

Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) is essential for life in all organisms, both as a coenzyme for oxidoreductases and as a source of ADP-ribosyl groups used in various reactions. Nicotinic acid and nicotinamide, collectively known as niacin, are the vitamin precursors of NAD+. Nicotinamide riboside kinases, such as NRK1, function to synthesize NAD+ through nicotinamide mononucleotide using nicotinamide riboside as the precursor (Bieganowski and Brenner, 2004 [PubMed 15137942]).[supplied by OMIM, Mar 2008

NMN requires less conversion to get to NAD+ than NR, as you can see by the picture below, and NAD+ is the stuff we use.

Screenshot_20211002-100025.png

bertiedog

Yes @Learner1 I studied many of these diagrams and reports before I tried NMN. It originally came to my attention through one of the reports on the Genetic Lifehacks site which the owner had thoroughly researched. I did originally try a higher dose but definitely got non stop migraines which improved when I dropped down to around 85 mg. Once they settle down I will restart at the lower dose.

I am not sure whether the NMN would be a vasodilator because if so that would be the reasons for these migraines as vasodilators always cause these. The triptan that I take for pain relief is a vasoconstrictor and this is the only drug guaranteed to stop them but I am only allowed 6 tablets a month I have to have regular acupuncture and try and keep to a minimum of paracetamol with the odd codeine if the pain is so bad I wouldn't be able to sleep.

Pam

Learner1

Yes @Learner1 I studied many of these diagrams and reports before I tried NMN. It originally came to my attention through one of the reports on the Genetic Lifehacks site which the owner had thoroughly researched. I did originally try a higher dose but definitely got non stop migraines which improved when I dropped down to around 85 mg. Once they settle down I will restart at the lower dose.

I am not sure whether the NMN would be a vasodilator because if so that would be the reasons for these migraines as vasodilators always cause these. The triptan that I take for pain relief is a vasoconstrictor and this is the only drug guaranteed to stop them but I am only allowed 6 tablets a month I have to have regular acupuncture and try and keep to a minimum of paracetamol with the odd codeine if the pain is so bad I wouldn't be able to sleep.

Pam
I don't think NMM is a vasodilator. NAD+ is a cofactor for many processes so It's not out of the question that it would accelerate something that might give you a headache though. There are a bunch of other things that increase NO which would cause vasodilation.

hapl808

Glutathione appears to have been the holy grail for me. I'm now sleeping 9 hours. I'm honestly stunned. Nothings really worked apart from nytol and that stuff is toxic.

Curious which glutathione you used? I've tried a couple versions, but not sure if it did anything. Didn't notice any major changes.

bertiedog

I don't think NMM is a vasodilator. NAD+ is a cofactor for many processes so It's not out of the question that it would accelerate something that might give you a headache though

Hello again, I think I probably have found the answer. Looking back at some notes I made whilst researching this I have found the following -

"J E Williams, OMD thinks lower doses of NMN are best, 30-50 mg because it could interfere with methylation in a negative way which could cause an increase in HISTAMINE, SEROTONIN AND OTHER AMINES" which for me equals severe, non stop migraines.

This definitely fits with my symptoms and I had been fine taking between 60 - 80 mg day.

Pam

Learner1

Hello again, I think I probably have found the answer. Looking back at some notes I made whilst researching this I have found the following -

"J E Williams, OMD thinks lower doses of NMN are best, 30-50 mg because it could interfere with methylation in a negative way which could cause an increase in HISTAMINE, SEROTONIN AND OTHER AMINES" which for me equals severe, non stop migraines.

This definitely fits with my symptoms and I had been fine taking between 60 - 80 mg day.

Pam
NMN, NR and NAD+ are all forms of niacin. Niacin is typically used to reverse methylation if one takes too many methylating nutrients. I need a lot of folate and B12, etc. but have not noticed the 137 to 187mg of NMN affecting me negatively - I need the energy boost. If I did find a problem, I could increase the light and B12 intake.

godlovesatrier

Hmm interesting. Niacin makes me depressed. Only one other person I know of reported that on PR. Although b12 now makes me very tired I no longer get wired taking it anymore. Which probably means my b12 levels must be pretty good.

Anyway niacin and glutathione are the only two things that help me sleep. Although glutathiones effects were much stronger.

I stopped taking niacin awhile ago due to the depression effect. Be interesting to see how the nmn effects me as it feels like niacin has an anti inflammatory effect and I always feel so much better after steroids, anti inflammatory probiotic strains or taking andrographis paniculata. But very hard finding a good anti inflammatory for ME patients that doesn't disturb gut flora.

Last edited:

godlovesatrier

As for the glutathione @hapl808 I take liposamal glutathione with selenium as selenium selinite (supposedly the only form that works for methylation).

Remains to be seen how much it's helping me. But it's certainly allowing me to sleep.