• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

new empowher article: "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Weathering Upcoming Fall And Winter"

CBS

Jody,

Interesting to read that your Falls/Winters are the seasons you find most challenging. For me it is Summers and the heat. I live in a warm, dry climate and the heat combined with the strong draw to be outside (I given up on caring for our yard myself) as too often I still try to just do small things here and there (water a stressed plant by hand, pull a weed, fix loose board in our fence) when its not too hot. As for the sunny patch in the yard; no thanks, direct sun just makes me feel nauseous and much sicker (and yes to Vit D supplements).

Thanks for the article and I sincerely hope you find this Fall and Winter to be the exception to you previous pattern. As for me, I'm hoping for a winter with little or no snow to shovel.

Jody

CBS,

I'm sorry summer wipes you out. I love summer.

I had trouble being in the sun a few years ago. My vision would get all white somehow -- like everything was overexposed or something -- and this would last for up to a couple of hours after being outside.

I would feel quite wasted and sapped from being outside, about 4 summers ago. So ... it can improve, and I hope it will for you.

I also hope you don't get too much snow this winter and that you have tremendous relief once summer is over.

Jody

Merry,

You too huh?

Wonder if it is a difference in our summers? Or just once again, the diversity of our illnesses, or maybe being at different stages of them.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Hi Jody! Glad to see another great article.

Right now we are TOTALLY FOGGED IN, again. It has been one of the foggiest summers ever! I miss the beach and the sunshine.

The sun almost always makes me feel better... but not the spring time pollen. :Retro tongue::Retro tongue::Retro tongue:

So I would say summer and fall are my better seasons.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
Summer is much worse for me. I cannot go out much. Just to the car, restaurant, etc, back in the cool house. Winter is wonderful for me. I can bundle up if really cold. Normally it isn't super cold so I can go outside and sit, enjoy being outside etc.
Fall and spring are best. Not too hot or cold.

IntuneJune

Hot and cold

I am another wilter in the summer. When the temperature goes up, every bit of energy drains out of my body, empties right out, every last bit, muscles rendered completely useless, I am simply a puddle on the floor with the sensation that my whole body has expanded and there is no way to put me back together.

In the colder months, I am OK as long as I am dressed appropriately. There maybe a few instances where I do get chilled (stepping out of the shower in the cold bathroom....exposed to very cold temperatures after being inside) where the muscles tense up to the point of being like stone. But I can control those situations easier...get warm easier....than trying to keep cool so that I won't puddle.

June

liverock

Jody

Its over 70 degrees outside and I'm freezing even with a sweater on,yet in winter I can sometimes feel quite warm outside. I dont think there is any standard answer; We are all different. The only common thing we share is WE ARE ALL TIRED!! :D

BEG

The southeast has been broiling with temps in the mid 90's daily with heat indexes in 3 figures. Our lows are the equivalent of our highs in Nov. although I suppose this November we'll finally be able to visit the beach because it might be (gasp) only in the 80's. I step outside and can't breathe due to the oppresive heat. So I move from window to window waiting and waiting and waiting for Jan. During the winter and fall (if it isn't still too hot) I am most active.

I believe I get S.A.D. (Seasonal Affective Disorder) in the summer. Although there is plenty of light, the blinds need to be closed to help keep the temp cool in the house. Summer . . . BLAH.

leaves

hmm do you take enough vit D3? Klimas told me to take 4000 IU. many say that a defficiency causes SAD.

BEG

I'm surely not the one to argue with Nancy Klimas. I'm taking some kind of D, and my calcium is loaded with it, but I don't believe I approach 4000 IU. It is a fat soluable vitamin. Couldn't excessive amounts pose a toxic risk?

*GG*

I'm surely not the one to argue with Nancy Klimas. I'm taking some kind of D, and my calcium is loaded with it, but I don't believe I approach 4000 IU. It is a fat soluable vitamin. Couldn't excessive amounts pose a toxic risk?

Yes, but I think it would take 10times as much for about 1 month for you to become toxic. I take 5000 IUs now, down from 8000 IUs over the winter. I started at 4000 IUs last fall and my blood level was about 37, after 2 months or so of usage, so I upped it to 8000 IUs and my blood test cam out around 70, and that is where I am aiming to keep it!

jewel

Jody-- Thanks for pointing out how functioning can vary depending on weather, which in turn seems mediated by other factors (geography, a person's individuality). I do better in warm, dry weather, and I am lucky to live in a climate that provides such weather most summers (not this one, alas, a bit too cold and foggy). I do need sunglasses constantly for the glare. Late fall and winter are definitely worse for me. However, I don't have to deal with the extreme heat and humidity of the southeast U.S. or the extreme heat of the desert SW. Reminds me of Slayadragon's posts on mold patterns in different geographical regions... Take care, J.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
P.O.T.S. affects how we feel also. I hate being hot, always did, but now it is serious with POTS. No sweating and the autonomic nervous system doesn't work correctly. I think a lot of that happens with CFS too. I have that also. I just just can't wait for fall! I am so thankful for air conditioning!

With Vit. D and supplements it is good to check it all with blood testing. I do it every three months or so. My doctor tests other things too to keep track of my progress with POTS and CFS, hormones, B12, D, etc.

Jody

Hi Jody! Glad to see another great article.

Right now we are TOTALLY FOGGED IN, again. It has been one of the foggiest summers ever! I miss the beach and the sunshine.

The sun almost always makes me feel better... but not the spring time pollen. :Retro tongue::Retro tongue::Retro tongue:

So I would say summer and fall are my better seasons.

Yeah, db,

That sounds alot like me ... though fall can be iffy. Hoping this fall is a good season. :Retro smile:

Jody

Summer is much worse for me. I cannot go out much. Just to the car, restaurant, etc, back in the cool house. Winter is wonderful for me. I can bundle up if really cold. Normally it isn't super cold so I can go outside and sit, enjoy being outside etc.
Fall and spring are best. Not too hot or cold.

Man, we are all so diverse aren't we.

Maybe your summers are hotter than mine. We're usually mid to upper 80s in the summer but when we get into the 90s I don't handle it well at all. Same with humidity. But a dry day between upper 70s and 80s and I am at my best.:Retro smile:

Jody

I am another wilter in the summer. When the temperature goes up, every bit of energy drains out of my body, empties right out, every last bit, muscles rendered completely useless, I am simply a puddle on the floor with the sensation that my whole body has expanded and there is no way to put me back together.

In the colder months, I am OK as long as I am dressed appropriately. There maybe a few instances where I do get chilled (stepping out of the shower in the cold bathroom....exposed to very cold temperatures after being inside) where the muscles tense up to the point of being like stone. But I can control those situations easier...get warm easier....than trying to keep cool so that I won't puddle.

June

If it's TOO hot and humid, I puddle bigtime. I like a nice temperature-controlled summertime.:Retro tongue:

Jody

Jody

Its over 70 degrees outside and I'm freezing even with a sweater on,yet in winter I can sometimes feel quite warm outside. I dont think there is any standard answer; We are all different. The only common thing we share is WE ARE ALL TIRED!! :D

My 20 yr old son who also has cfs is somewhat like you I think. He is liable to wear shorts in the house in the winter, and long pants and socks in the summer. What's up with that?:Retro tongue:

But yes, we do have a common denominator. Let's hope we all of us one day will NOT have that in common any longer. :rolleyes: