• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Negative reaction to glutathione?

LINE

I had a strong reaction to liposomal glutathione, which was the best I took*. I had some crashes and then reduced dosage to about 1/4 of what I started with after I got back on track and stayed on for sometime. My theory is that the glutathione pushed out the toxins too fast and my body simply could not excrete them.

Glutathione is one of three antioxidants produced by the body and will help detoxify a number of dangerous chemicals that we accumulate. I have seen great improvement in my situation by focusing on detoxification (and other protocols), I strongly believe that many of these issues are promoted by toxins (and infections). I went from working 15 hours per week to 40+ by concentrating on these issues. There are some more details, which I can elaborate if wanted.

With any type of provoker, I always use a vacuum which are products that grab toxins to excrete them since there is no sense of provoking something for only it to relocate. Sort of the idea that if you try to clean a rug, take it outside instead of shaking it in the house where the dust will resettle.

I find that zeolite (micronized) that I buy bulk on Amazon for $28 is fantastic as is bulk activated charcoal. I also use a rLipoic acid product that does wonders.

*glutatione is usually hard to absorb or utilize since oral supplementation is degraded by stomach acids. Sounds like this product may overcome those issues.

Last edited:

LINE

Something else worth mentioning is that glutathione will work on liver toxins (1). The liver pushes those toxins via the hepatic duct which leads into the colon for excretion. It is my opinion that those toxins create damage to the microbiota of the gut and toxins seem to recirculate which cause more damage. In my experiments, I do much better with the vacuums listed above following treatment.

(1) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2596047/

prioris

it negatively affects me
glutathione is not good for over methylated people and less likely to be deficient in glutathione.
undermethylated people will likely benefit.

renski

good discussion here about binders/glutathione/bile etc:
(at 26:00)

You could try B3 or Niacel to help recycle glutathione and see if that feels better.

Last edited:
I had a strong reaction to liposomal glutathione, which was the best I took*. I had some crashes and then reduced dosage to about 1/4 of what I started with after I got back on track and stayed on for sometime. My theory is that the glutathione pushed out the toxins too fast and my body simply could not excrete them.

Glutathione is one of three antioxidants produced by the body and will help detoxify a number of dangerous chemicals that we accumulate. I have seen great improvement in my situation by focusing on detoxification (and other protocols), I strongly believe that many of these issues are promoted by toxins (and infections). I went from working 15 hours per week to 40+ by concentrating on these issues. There are some more details, which I can elaborate if wanted.

With any type of provoker, I always use a vacuum which are products that grab toxins to excrete them since there is no sense of provoking something for only it to relocate. Sort of the idea that if you try to clean a rug, take it outside instead of shaking it in the house where the dust will resettle.

I find that zeolite (micronized) that I buy bulk on Amazon for $28 is fantastic as is bulk activated charcoal. I also use a rLipoic acid product that does wonders.

*glutatione is usually hard to absorb or utilize since oral supplementation is degraded by stomach acids. Sounds like this product may overcome those issues.
I am trying glutathione now. Has bad reactions. I wonder if it is possible to share your experience. Thanks

BeADocToGoTo1

Yes! I get cracking headaches from it, both through injection and oral versions and feel quite off after taking it.

Glutathione enzymes require sufficient cofactors to function including vitamins C, E, B1, B2, B6, B9, selenium, magnesium, zinc, alpha lipoic acid (ALA). In addition, amino acids cysteine, glutamate and glycine are essential in the production of glutathione. So my focus was more on not being deficient in those cofactors to help my body synthesize it instead.

If you are sensitive to MSG, you might also be sensitive to glutathione due to the glutamate component.

This is the test I did to see whether there was an issue with production:

Genova Diagnostics Oxidative Stress 2.0

LINE

I am trying glutathione now. Has bad reactions. I wonder if it is possible to share your experience. Thanks

Could you be a little more specific. One of my strong theories is that glutathione becomes depleted due to the strong immune actions. Glutathione is necessary for liver health and intracellular detoxification. (as a side note, superoxide dismutase and catalase are also created by the body and serve with glutathione as strong antioxidants). Glutathione particpates in immune responses and when levels are low then the immune response is skewed.

My problem was with the pushing out of toxins and I learned over time that if you mobilize a toxin then it will only recirculate unless you grab it and excrete it. That is why I found charcoal, zeolite and r-lipoic acid to be very helpful. I should not leave out chlorella which worked well. In addition, I use natural Vitamin E, vitamin C, full complex of supportive B vitamins, minerals etc.

Could you be a little more specific. One of my strong theories is that glutathione becomes depleted due to the strong immune actions. Glutathione is necessary for liver health and intracellular detoxification. (as a side note, superoxide dismutase and catalase are also created by the body and serve with glutathione as strong antioxidants). Glutathione particpates in immune responses and when levels are low then the immune response is skewed.

My problem was with the pushing out of toxins and I learned over time that if you mobilize a toxin then it will only recirculate unless you grab it and excrete it. That is why I found charcoal, zeolite and r-lipoic acid to be very helpful. I should not leave out chlorella which worked well. In addition, I use natural Vitamin E, vitamin C, full complex of supportive B vitamins, minerals etc.
When I took gluthathine, I feel good at that day. But next day, I am anxious, heartbroken.

And bad sleep.

Lieselotte

Glutathione also affects me negatively. I took the liposomal type and after a couple weeks I felt like I was going insane: I was anxious, jumpy, reacted to the smallest things.

I did a detox years ago and had a bad reaction to that too - until i figured out that my gallbladder was junked up. The reaction that time was anger, bad taste in my mouth and insomnia. So the glutathione had a very distinct and different bad reaction than a general "everything's getting backed up" reaction. Very interesting.

Glutathione also affects me negatively. I took the liposomal type and after a couple weeks I felt like I was going insane: I was anxious, jumpy, reacted to the smallest things.

I did a detox years ago and had a bad reaction to that too - until i figured out that my gallbladder was junked up. The reaction that time was anger, bad taste in my mouth and insomnia. So the glutathione had a very distinct and different bad reaction than a general "everything's getting backed up" reaction. Very interesting.
How do you find out gallbladder issue? Ct or ultrasound? May I ask? Thanks

Lieselotte

No, nothing that fancy. I was working with a chiropractor who had me on liver support supplements to cover Phases 1,2,&3 of detox. When I started having the bad reaction, he guessed it might be because the toxins weren't getting out of my system because of impaired Phase 3 detox. So we started only on Phase 3 support (gallbladder support). Then I worked my way up to the rest of the supplements.
But like I said, glutathione was a totally different reaction.

LINE

When I took gluthathine, I feel good at that day. But next day, I am anxious, heartbroken.

It is important to clear the toxins. Secondly, you do not want to do too much, then you are overloading the body. Think of cutting grass, it is ok when it is low, then the lawnmower can handle that but if the grass is 4" high then you could not cut much without the lawnmower stalling out. If you go slow, it will be ok.

Toxins are dangerous and should be handled with care. That is why you use the vacuums I mentioned in the prior post.

The other consideration is the state of the liver which handles quite a few functions. It would be my guess that the glutathione is pulling toxins out and those toxins overload the liver/gallbladder. I did a number of supportive nutrients and nutraceuticals for the liver including some TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) approaches. This is where my breakthroughs began to happen.

Last edited:

renski

It is important to clear the toxins. Secondly, you do not want to do too much, then you are overloading the body. Think of cutting grass, it is ok when it is low, then the lawnmower can handle that but if the grass is 4" high then you could not cut much without the lawnmower stalling out. If you go slow, it will be ok.

Toxins are dangerous and should be handled with care. That is why you use the vacuums I mentioned in the prior post.

The other consideration is the state of the liver which handles quite a few functions. It would be my guess that the glutathione is pulling toxins out and those toxins overload the liver/gallbladder. I did a number of supportive nutrients and nutraceuticals for the liver including some TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) approaches. This is where my breakthroughs began to happen.

I thought glutathione was meant to clear toxins, just shows how it's not straightforward. What things would you take to help clear @LINE ?

LINE

I thought glutathione was meant to clear toxins, just shows how it's not straightforward. What things would you take to help clear @LINE ?

The items listed above - Zeolite or pascalite clay, rLipoic acid or rLipoic with Alpha Lipoic acid, a product called Clean Chlorella which is the most functional form I have used, bulk charcoal. In addition, I use a full spectrum of antioxidants (Vits C and E and plant based ones), vitamins and minerals.

Glutathione is meant to clear toxins but the issue is if you provoke the toxins then where do they go? Oftentimes, they just simply recirculate and this is not good. It is like shaking a rug to get the dirt out, shaking it in the house will get the dirt out but where does the dirt go, just back in the house.

Detoxification happens via the hepatic duct (connected to the liver) which goes into the intestine then you excrete them out in the stool. You want to bind the toxins to eliminate them more effectively. This was a breakthrough for me.

renski

Lipoic acid increases blood levels of metals though, all these things seem to increase blood levels but can also clear stuff in the liver..

Had my first glutathione dose today and I fell asleep within half an hour & had the most refreshing sleep I’ve had in years. Just had another dose and I’m sleepy again, I almost feel like I’ve taken a small dose of Valium. What is the connection here?

LINE

Had my first glutathione dose today and I fell asleep within half an hour & had the most refreshing sleep I’ve had in years. Just had another dose and I’m sleepy again, I almost feel like I’ve taken a small dose of Valium. What is the connection here?

I don't have an answer.