• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

needing to eat before bed to have better sleep - why?

Rufous McKinney

Any ideas?

Some people eat dinner so early: like 6-6:30....then I understand they wake up at 3 am hungry.

I tend to eat a late dinner, always have and will not go to sleep unless I'm full....like I may eat around 8.

My blood sugar is not stable, I'm trying to avoid Type 2, and I'm hungry alot. And feel like I"m eating all day and nite, but I was only getting 1300 calories when I checked. I'm also fairly thin, lost 45 pounds.

bertiedog

I eat my evening meal around 6 pm but I cannot eat large meals so always need a small top up around 10 pm and have been like this for years. (I am 9 stone and 5ft.4 so don't need to loose weight).

My usual snack is 1 Sorgum cracker with a little butter and cashew butter plus a couple of small cashews.

I notice that it stops me being too sleepy for a while so don't need to sleep until 11.15 or 11.30 and then I can sleep well till between 6-7 pm although I do have periods of insomnia especially in the Spring and Summer. If I don't have a small snack I cannot get too sleep and am likely to wake feeling weak and with a migraine.

My basic diet is relatively low carb, lots of good fats and protein but over past few months I have been adding some oats and small quantities of stewed apply to try and feed good bacteria.

Pam

eric_gladiator

I have a very similar problem. If I go with an empty stomach eating 3 or more hours before, it is more difficult for me to sleep or I wake up soon. On the other hand, if I eat abundant carbohydrates, the sleep is deep and long-lasting but of poor quality, that is to say, dreams and nightmares. something that happens to me a lot lately

BrightCandle

I definitely have this. For some reason butter is one of the better things to go to sleep on, I presume for the butyrate or perhaps just saturated fats being slow to digest. I get to sleep a lot easier with food but I also tend to wake up in the middle of the night more. Overall I get more sleep with the food than without and butter on bread has ended up being one of the best things I have found.