• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

'Natural' antiretrovirals?

BMC Infect Dis. 2004; 4: 41.
Published online 2004 October 14. doi: 10.1186/1471-2334-4-41.
PMCID: PMC533885
Copyright 2004 Neurath et al; licensee BioMed Central Ltd.

Punica granatum (Pomegranate) juice provides an HIV-1 entry inhibitor and candidate topical microbicide

Background
For ≈ 24 years the AIDS pandemic has claimed ≈ 30 million lives, causing ≈ 14,000 new HIV-1 infections daily worldwide in 2003. About 80% of infections occur by heterosexual transmission. In the absence of vaccines, topical microbicides, expected to block virus transmission, offer hope for controlling the pandemic. Antiretroviral chemotherapeutics have decreased AIDS mortality in industrialized countries, but only minimally in developing countries. To prevent an analogous dichotomy, microbicides should be: acceptable; accessible; affordable; and accelerative in transition from development to marketing. Already marketed pharmaceutical excipients or foods, with established safety records and adequate anti-HIV-1 activity, may provide this option.
Methods
Fruit juices were screened for inhibitory activity against HIV-1 IIIB using CD4 and CXCR4 as cell receptors. The best juice was tested for inhibition of: (1) infection by HIV-1 BaL, utilizing CCR5 as the cellular coreceptor; and (2) binding of gp120 IIIB and gp120 BaL, respectively, to CXCR4 and CCR5. To remove most colored juice components, the adsorption of the effective ingredient(s) to dispersible excipients and other foods was investigated. A selected complex was assayed for inhibition of infection by primary HIV-1 isolates.
Results
HIV-1 entry inhibitors from pomegranate juice adsorb onto corn starch. The resulting complex blocks virus binding to CD4 and CXCR4/CCR5 and inhibits infection by primary virus clades A to G and group O.
Conclusion
These results suggest the possibility of producing an anti-HIV-1 microbicide from inexpensive, widely available sources, whose safety has been established throughout centuries, provided that its quality is adequately standardized and monitored.

Ariel,
I have tried the supplements for the protocol that your are describing but could not take the high doses: mostly I am too weak to be that consistent.
I did while attempting to take the full dose schedule notice that my skin started sheeting off of my body particularly my feet.
I don't know what was happening but plan on trying the protocol again. I think it is much safer than the retrovirals now being used.
By the way I taled with Johathon Cambell on the phone and was not impressed.

Dr. Yes

Shame on You
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3038309

Lactoferrin has been shown to have activity against several virusses (including HIV). It has a pretty comprehensive Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactoferrin

Lactoferrin's effect on MLV infections appears to be indirect at best from the few articles I've seen. Disturbingly, at least one study found that it can actually enhance HTLV replication, despite having a suppressive effect on HIV:

http://www.jimmunol.org/content/166/6/4231.full

leaves

I had a lot of neuro problems such as numbness etc, I seem to have great succes with authia cream http://www.spectrumsupplements.com/content.asp?node=381&brandid=37, this is a cream with a special form of thiamine (TTFD) and b12. Googling this I found:

Two items of recent scientific research have shown that the B-vitamin thiamine has anti-viral properties. TTFD, one of the fat-soluble forms of thiamine, was recently proven to be a potent inhibitor of HIV virus replication [21]. Thiamine was shown to be an effective treatment for chronic hepatitis B. [22]

[21] Shoji, Shozo et al. Thiamine disulfide as a potent inhibitor of human immunodeficiency virus (type-1) production. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 1994. 205(1), 967-75. "The results suggest that thiamine disulfide may be important for AIDS chemotherapy."

[22] Wallace AE, Weeks WB. Thiamine treatment of chronic hepatitis B infection. American Journal of Gastroenterology, 2001. 96(3), 864-868.

Lala

I have not read whole thread, but this bumped on me:

"It is important to note that the external membrane glycoprotein of XMRV responsible for cell to cell infectivity and propagation of the virus internally to other organs, immune cells and infectious body secretions is attached by disulfide bridges to the transmembrane glycoprotein.

These bridges can be broken and the virus rendered non-infectious or non-transmissible to other cells by redox shifting to a more reducing biological terrain and unfortunately strengthened by a more oxidizing body terrain."

Disulfide bounds can be easily broken down by NAC. I am using NAC for this purpose for years. see http://www.davidwheldon.co.uk/NAC.html

maryb

iherb code TAK122
That piece of research sound very promising, lets hope future trials go well.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I have not read whole thread, but this bumped on me:

"It is important to note that the external membrane glycoprotein of XMRV responsible for cell to cell infectivity and propagation of the virus internally to other organs, immune cells and infectious body secretions is attached by disulfide bridges to the transmembrane glycoprotein.

These bridges can be broken and the virus rendered non-infectious or non-transmissible to other cells by redox shifting to a more reducing biological terrain and unfortunately strengthened by a more oxidizing body terrain."

Disulfide bounds can be easily broken down by NAC. I am using NAC for this purpose for years. see http://www.davidwheldon.co.uk/NAC.html

That's very interesting Lala. NAC seems to be a very good supplement. There was one thing that was being talked about that was a downside to NAC, but I can't remember what it was.

NAC is definitely a worthwhile supplement, and has been recognized by AIDS buyers clubs to be beneficial to remaining healthy; I like it even though it smells weird. Tablets containing Fucoidan (seaweed extract), Curcumin (tumeric), Polysaccharides (shiitake mushroom extract) have antiviral properties as well and should be tried.

Best wishes.

HTLVhelp / Facebook
HTLVhelp / Twitter
HTLVhelp / Google+
HTLVhelp / YouTube
HTLVhelp / www

Lotus97

I saw people talking about the noni juice and some say that they only feel the benefits while taking the premium juice brand as opposed to capsules or watered down fruit juicey versions. If you try it will you let us know how it goes for you please? Good luck with it.
I've been taking Noni juice. I can't tell the benefits yet, but there are a lot of rave reviews for the brand I'm taking. Be warned, it smells and tastes like a mixture of wine and stinky cheese. So far I've had trouble drinking it, but today I was feeling really miserable:ill: so I was able drink more than normal. I do feel better, but I took a lot of supplements so I can't say it was the Noni juice. I'm going to try drinking it later without any other supplements (maybe first thing in the morning) and see what happens.
http://www.iherb.com/product-review...-Organic-Noni-Juice-32-fl-oz-946-ml/3593/?p=1
11 people found the following review helpful
50.png
THIS STUFF IS AWESOME!!! Feb 22, 2010

This product was purchased by Reviewer2225055 from Great Britain
I suffer from Chronic Lyme Disease and Babesia and Bartonella. I have found this organic Noni Juice to be particularly effective in helping to alleviate my anxiety, depression and insomnia symptoms. It also seems to help calm down my muscle spasms, skin irritation and agitation. I have tried other brands and soon learned that not all noni juices are the same. I found my symptoms worsened when taking the other brands, but then improved again once I returned to using this particular brand. I could not survive without it now! Highly recommended!

Lotus97

Just an update on the Noni juice. I still can't say how well it's working because I have a lot going on right now, but I bought my second bottle from iHerb and it doesn't taste as bad as the first bottle I bought from Swanson. I suspect iHerb sell more of this particular product so that there is a greater turnover rate which would result in the Noni juice from them being fresher than Swanson's.

People claim that Noni has antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, antitumor, antihelminth, analgesic, hypotensive, anti-inflammatory, and immune enhancing effects. As with many supplements, I question how much of this is backed up by science, but this is definitely worth mentioning.

Old Salt

Rowing the boat
I agree. I have wondered why they haven't tried intravenous colloidal silver or peroxide? Both very antiviral and safe. No money to be made there.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I agree. I have wondered why they haven't tried intravenous colloidal silver or peroxide? Both very antiviral and safe. No money to be made there.

Many of us have taken IV hydrogen peroxide. It helped me a lot but there was a lot of die-off and it is hard on the veins.

Sushi

Old Salt

Rowing the boat
Many of us have taken IV hydrogen peroxide. It helped me a lot but there was a lot of die-off and it is hard on the veins.

Sushi
Have you tried Virastop or digestive enzymes? The web site www.enzymestuff.com Just about anything that kills pathogens will cause die off. We really need a die off toxin neutralizer!!!!

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Have you tried Virastop or digestive enzymes? The web site www.enzymestuff.com Just about anything that kills pathogens will cause die off. We really need a die off toxin neutralizer!!!!

Yes, I've taken a lot of digestive enzymes--even prescription ones.

My hydrogen peroxide experience was years ago though so that major die-off is long gone.

Thanks,
Sushi