• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My very bad and strange experience with B12 cyanocobalamin

caledonia

Im really scared of trying any other suplement. I would radher take nothing, just eat anti inflamatory diet and go regluarly to bed and rest during the day.
Its very strange that I have increased sexual desire and sexual feeling.
Will the body eventually repair it self and get back to normal?

Yes, assuming it's what I think it is, you will eventually go back to normal even if you do nothing.
I understand being scared to try more supps.

If you did try the niacin, it would be a low amount. If you happened to get the niacin flush, it lasts maybe a half hour to an hour? When I tried the niacin, I actually felt calmer and better within 20 minutes or so. I was able to get my overmethylation reaction to calm down within a week. As I kept dosing the niacin, and I was getting better, then I started getting the flush, so I lowered the amount so as to avoid the flush. The flush is harmless, although it does surprise and scare people if they're not aware it could happen.

Same for the atypical MCS reaction. When I dosed the baking soda, I felt better within 20 minutes, and I was able to calm down the whole reaction within a day or two. Without that, it could be days, weeks, or months.

Yes, assuming it's what I think it is, you will eventually go back to normal even if you do nothing.
I understand being scared to try more supps.

If you did try the niacin, it would be a low amount. If you happened to get the niacin flush, it lasts maybe a half hour to an hour? When I tried the niacin, I actually felt calmer and better within 20 minutes or so. I was able to get my overmethylation reaction to calm down within a week. As I kept dosing the niacin, and I was getting better, then I started getting the flush, so I lowered the amount so as to avoid the flush. The flush is harmless, although it does surprise and scare people if they're not aware it could happen.

Same for the atypical MCS reaction. When I dosed the baking soda, I felt better within 20 minutes, and I was able to calm down the whole reaction within a day or two. Without that, it could be days, weeks, or months.
Thank you for answer. I dont know what is overmethylation reaction and what cause it?
Im thinking about doint blool test for homocystein level. Maybe that can show about vitamin deviciency.
What you think?

GreenEdge

Synthetic B12 (Cyanocobalamin) seems to make some people worse. Not only that, it takes time to get it out of your system. All you can do is get B12 from animal sources (livers) and wait for it to displace that synthetic stuff.

See posts 2 & 3 in the thread High Quality B12

Edit: I think Cyanocobalamin should be removed from the market on the principle of first do no harm, but that will never happen because vegetarians need to supplement B12. At least not until another synthetic form is developed.

Last edited:

JES

Synthetic B12 (Cyanocobalamin) seems to make some people worse. Not only that, it takes time to get it out of your system. All you can do is get B12 from animal sources (livers) and wait for it to displace that synthetic stuff.

Where did you get this idea from? This is a thread about a single person reporting worsening and not even from cyanocobalamin alone, but from a B complex containing all kinds of B vitamins. It doesn't even matter as many ME/CFS patients react badly to almost anything, I can tell from my own experience. You will find an ME/CFS patient online who reacted badly to supplement X, no matter what X is. Secondly, the bad reaction that many of us have to B vitamins and other methylation protocol trials are well documented in this forum section.

GreenEdge

Where did you get this idea from?
I might have got it from PR forum maybe Jul-Sep 2022. CSMLSM said this post.
I'll engage brain and explain it myself:

How B12 (Cyanocobalamin) could make some people worse
Cyanocobalamin is a synthetic form of Vitamin B12 which the body converts into Adenosylcobalamin and Methylcobalamin before it can be used. <- an inactive form of B12, so any Cyanocobalamin circulating in your body, if it fits any B12 lock-&-key mechanisms of your molecular machinery, it could be getting in the way.

Therefore: If you're not deficient in B12 and you add Cyanocobalamin you could get worse (at least initially).
On the contrary, if you're deficient in B12, your still providing an ingredient that your body can convert into the active forms Adenosylcobalamin and Methylcobalamin.

See: The Four Types of Vitamin B12: Which One Is Right for You?

Last edited: